AppleCare Plus for Portables?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Dec 1, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

ThinkSecret reports that Apple is planning on introducing an extended warranty for Mac Laptops that would also cover accidental damage.

Apple recently introduced "standard" AppleCare for their iPod. The standard AppleCare warranty does not cover accidental damage. While ThinkSecret does not provide pricing information for the upcoming program, they expect it to arrive by June 2004.

2. macrumors regular

I could see a lot of "accidents" happening if this is for real.

3. macrumors 65816

DTphonehome

AppleCare is too pricey as it is

It's way too expensive the way it is now, so why would we want to pony up the extra dough for some more coverage? Third-party warranties usually cost much less and cover way more than AppleCare.

--DT

4. macrumors member

wonder what the price is?

With coverage like this, I wonder how much they'll charge for it.

Really what I wonder is how strict they'll become on regular AppleCare. The stories are legion of the many times that it is hard to tell if it was user abuse, but Apple covered it anyway. I hope that doesn't change.

AppleCare is already much more expensive for portables, and homeowner's or renter's insurance can cover catastrophic events on a laptop, so this seems like it is aiming at a very narrow band.

5. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

$350 for APP on powerbook already... what's this gonna cost, $500+ ?? yikes.

6. macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

If this is true, it is just insurance. Maybe Apple is moving into this area because it is another market and stream of revenue.

You can never stop certain "accidents" (i.e. bogus claims) but there will probably be a no-claims policy and a minimum cost you would have to pay out (i.e. you pay the first ...$/£) for a claim.

I'd imagine it would be too expensive for me to consider.

7. macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Wait, does standard Apple Care cover iPods now?

8. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I would be happy if they kept it the same price for this "plus" service and then offered the regular Apple Care for a lower cost so that the standard protection plan isn't as overpriced. I think that'd make everyone happy.

9. macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

It will be for the avegare+ power user...

I can see a monthly fee as well or maybe yearly, but will be out of the reach for a lot of users... It's positive and negative for me as well... just, good luck!

10. macrumors 65816

Sounds like a good deal to me.

11. macrumors regular

Re: AppleCare is too pricey as it is

What Third-Party warranties are you talking about?

12. macrumors 6502a

mrsebastian

it will all come down to cost. as posted there are quite a few options to purchase an "insurance" plan for accident coverage. it would be nice for apple to make the standard applecare cost for the plus version and lower the cost for regular applecare.

13. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Cool. Its always good to have options even "potentially" expensive ones. I would suggest that people reserve judgement until a price is released.

14. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Question. Can't your computer be covered under your home owners insurance and what does that cover?

15. macrumors newbie

already done - for much less

check out www.safeware.com - it's an insurance company which specializes in laptops and other computers.

my iBook is insured to $1400 for only $80 a year, and this covers EVERYTHING.

if I drop it, it gets stolen, spill coffee on it, or it just breaks on its own accord, they fix it for free and/or give me the money that I have it insured for.

I've had problems with my GFs laptop, and the turnaround, and repair is FAST.

AppleCare is nice, but it's expensive, and it doesn't cover enough. The coverage mentioned here is also nice, but it will be exhorbitant methinks.

-lev

16. macrumors 6502

Re: already done - for much less

Right.. also my insurance (renter's and car) offers laptop coverage through the home insurance branch of their conglomerate. I haven't checked prices recently but from what I remember years ago it was pretty reasonable. $20 a month maybe? But that may have only covered a completely destroyed machine... I dunno.

Anyway, I think this is an unfounded rumor that was created on the heels of the iPod AppleCare thing. Most likely too expensive to be practical anyway.

17. macrumors newbie

Still probably won't be available for home users in Florida.

18. macrumors P6

~Shard~

The cost for standard AppleCare seems a bit high already, so what would this "plus" coverage cost? That really adds a lot to the bottom dollar. Plus, if you start covering accidental damage, I'm thinking the number of "accidents" might start increasing... ;)

19. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I have car insurance and renters insurance through State Farm. I called them about laptop insurance... if it gets stolen or something like that it's covered under renters insurance... but I also got laptop insurance for it which covers if it gets broken... costs me $2.50 a month... I don't even know that I'm going to get Apple Care for my iBook...

20. macrumors 65816

Ask your home insurance company. Most do have some coverage of computers, a few ask you pay a little more for the premium if you want computers covered above a certain amount.

21. macrumors regular

Re: already done - for much less

Re-read your policy, it does not cover repairs if it "breaks on its own accord," like a logicboard defect or hard-drive failure. It does state that it does not cover things that a warranty normally covers.

I have Safeware too, and I love it, I am actually waiting for them to ship me a replacement PowerBook after I accidentially spilled tea on my old one (it was really stupid of me). But I also have AppleCare, so I'm pretty much covered for almost anything. It's expensive, but it's not nearly as expensive as buying a new PowerBook.

Of course, you could always try to trick Safeware into thinking that a busted logicboard was caused by, say, tea and not a manufacturing defect :)

Anyway, this AppleCare plus sounds really interesting, and if it comes out in June 2004 I might consider it since it's close to the time my Safeware coverage for the year expires.

22. macrumors newbie

Re: Re: already done - for much less

The things mentioned up top were arguably because the machine had problems with it inherent in its design - they didn't complain at all during the several times that I had it fixed. They seem pretty open to just fixing the product if it breaks :)

(and who am I to complain ;) )

23. macrumors regular

Re: Re: Re: already done - for much less

Whatever way works :)

I just didn't want to be screwed if Safeware ended up being pretty strict about what it does not cover in its policy.

24. macrumors 6502

I am glad they might be doing this. Gateway offers this. While I would not bother for Gateway, I would probably pay for the service from Apple because I feel their stuff is better quailty.

25. macrumors newbie

YIPPIE

This is great news. My wife is horrible with her iBook and would gladly get plus just to cover the damaged power adapters and guard against a fall off of a table or down concrete steps.

One Happy Camper. (if this is true)