AppleCare Protection Plan (APP)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by DrPepper, Aug 11, 2004.

1. DrPepper macrumors member

is it worth it, do apple computers break, for no reason after 1yr
    on all my pcs, if something broke it was in the 1st yr, not after

so is it worth the 200 bucks? for my 12in powerbook?

2. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

guns or butter

If you are not sure, don't panic!! Ask, but I believe you can upgrade anytime during the first year. Don't hold me liable, but ask. You might use the 200 for beer or sound sticks. :D

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yes, you can upgrade within the first year. However, free phone support runs out after 90 days. It's generally considered to be a no-brainer to get Apple Care unless you know you'll sell within the first year..

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Applecare for a powerbook is $349, I added it to mine but thats because I know that it is very hard to fix a laptop and as a college student I don't want to be forced t oshell out 2k for a new computer at any random moment.

Its not a no brainer, because in general extended warranties are a rip off ... if you have the money to spend then get it because its quite a bit of protection for parts that might die.

5. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

AppleCare for students are only $239 for Powerbooks

I would get it if you are going to keep yours around for a while. I upgrade mine every 8months (when I have it paid off) or when newer ones come out so it isn't for me.

6. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

That's new. When I bought my powerbook, and during the first year I had it, there was no education discount for AppleCare. You had to pay the full $349 for it. Nice to see that Apple has made AppleCare more affordable for students.

Having an extended warranty is nice, but it only covers hardware failure. You might consider putting your money towards an insurance policy that will cover accidental damage or theft instead.

7. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

Can one repurchase AppleCare to extend the warranty further?

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Sadly, Apple doesn't allow AppleCare past the 3 years with the original purcharse. I really wish taht they would. The new ProCare Card is the closest to an extension. That is if tyou live near an Apple Store.

http://www.apple.com/retail/procare/