Applecare Protection Plan For PB or iB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by insan56, Aug 24, 2005.

1. insan56 macrumors member

May 17, 2005
    im looking into buying a PowerBook and the guy at the Apple reseller said that i should buy the $500 protection plan because i will definitely have to use and it will be worth it

so what i am wondering how many of you have had to use the APP and how much did it save you in the long run ?
  2. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    $500?!?!?! WTF?!

The 17" PB tops out at $350 for Apple Care. :eek:

Edit: Doh, you probably mean Canadaian huh? :p
  3. insan56 thread starter macrumors member

May 17, 2005
    yeah its like 500$ canadian for a 15" PowerBook
  4. iEdd macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2005
    I, nor my dad has never bought applecare... We haven't ever had a prob worth $500AU/CAN to fix on any mac since the first one he got (first ever personal mac)
    Take a chance... You get one year... Then let's see... A HDD won't cost $500, dead memory won't... CPU or Logic board might... Optical drive~maybe..
  5. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    Monitor will cost a cool grand however. I think Apple Care on laptops is a good idea, I don't get it on other desktop machines but lappys just make good sense. I take mine everywhere and with all the moving parts there are numerous things that could go wrong.

But you have a year to make up your mind. You don't have to buy immediatly.
  6. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Apr 22, 2005
    I've been thinking of getting Apple Care for by pbook.
    so went to the closest Apple store to enquire about price, service, etc.

Except i was told that Apple Care doesn't exist here, that Apple SA doesn't support Apple Care.
    How crazy is that?
    In the one part of the world where its probably a good idea to have it, Apple doesn't sell it. Go figure!
  7. dcv macrumors G3

May 24, 2005
    It's around £279 or £299 for Apple Care for Powerbooks in the UK. The thing that annoys me about apple care is that this is much more expensive than care for the iBook because you can use it to cover one apple display... but ONLY if you buy it on the same day. I think this is ridiculous. So I bought my PB a couple of months ago and now i'm considering getting a display, but i'm only going to get a 1yr warranty with it. it seems you can't extend care for just the display at all. So i'm not sure it's even going to be worth spending that money on the PB apple care...
  8. California macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    Cloudgazer, sorry to be so dumb but what is RSA? Anyway, applecare has provided me with a new hard drive, new logic board, new palm rest, new keyboard, new ac adaptor etc., etc, all near the three year mark on my last powerbook. Totally recommend it.
  9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

Republic of South Africa?

Anyway, I haven't personally bothered with AppleCare and thankfully, I haven't had any problems crop up more than a year after getting either my iBook or my iMac. Anyway, breaking a Mac is a great excuse to get the latest and greatest from Cupertino. :D
  10. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    I didn't get Applecare at the time I got my Powerbook last year.
    Last week ,10 months after I bought it, the logic board failed!
    I'm seriously thinking about getting Applecare now!
  11. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    You are very lucky that the logic board went within the one year warranty. I always purchase AppleCare, it gives peace of mind. You will get a full 3 years of online support. At times AppleCare will pay for itself.
  12. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    This probably won't apply to the OP, but I bought CompUSA's laptop coverage which is better and not compared to AppleCare. The downsides? No international coverage (which is all right by me because I'm not going to be going anywhere internationally w/ my 'book), no Apple phone support (ok by me because I haven't yet received stellar support), and no cruising up to an Apple Genius @ the Genius Bar. The plus sides? CompUSA covers 2 replacememts of the LCD screen inlucding accidental damage (ie, close the lid over a pen or something silly like that), I have had better interaction w/ CompUSA employees, and I have heard that CompUSA is much more lax about giving out brand new replacements rather than trying to fix multiple issues.
  13. davidgilmour macrumors member

Aug 24, 2005
    Who needs Apple online support when we have ? :D
  14. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    on my old ibook, before the logic board repair program, it has gotten me two new logic boards. On a tibook it got me a new optical drive and latch repair twice. It has also provided me with countless hours of phone support. I highly recommend it for laptops, but I bought it w/ my powermac, and it expired last fall, and I never used my advice...yes w/ laptop, no w/ desktop, but you have a year to decide ;)
  15. mvincenti macrumors newbie

May 23, 2005
    Huntington, NY
    yes, get Apple Care because

even though many of the parts cost less than $359, the labor involved is usually at least another $150. You never want to hope that you'll need it but it would sure be nice to know that you've got it if you do need it. I'm an Apple Tech and I'd say about 85% of the laptops that I see are covered under warranty. I know that in one visit, the plan just paid for itself. iBooks are particularly annoying to work on because of the case. If I have to open it up, thats 2 hours labor- $200! Now add the cost of the part on top of that. And tax.
    I think the real question is about desktops. Are they worth the APP? In my opinion- yes. But thats just me.