Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TJ391

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
would like to buy new Air, but not quite sure about that plan, $200+...
Is it worth?:confused:

mitup

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Copenhagen
My plan is to wait and see if the Air is problem prone within the first year. If it is, I will buy the extended warranty. Remember, you have a full year to make up your mind after the purchase!

Bloodraw850

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Florida
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

I always get AppleCare for all my devices, totally worth it

Lord Appleseed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2010
Apple Manor
I am rather keeping the MBA for about a year and before the standard apple care ends, i sell it to use the money of the MBA and the money i'd have used to extend Apple care for buying the new revision.

Vihzel

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
I buy laptops way too often for AppleCare to be worth it to me. I've also never had any issues with my Macs.

dtjm

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

You can get Applecare at B&H Photo for < $200 (last time I checked, a few days ago).

CHSeifert

macrumors 6502
I'll buy my MBA using my Mastercard and they have a deal with an insurance company, which gives me 4 years warranty on any electronic gadget item I buy using my Mastercard - so I think I will skip AppleCare from now on :D

Anyone else have this good deal on their Mastercard ?

docgerrard

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
I'll buy my MBA using my Mastercard and they have a deal with an insurance company, which gives me 4 years warranty on any electronic gadget item I buy using my Mastercard - so I think I will skip AppleCare from now on :D

you gotta be more specific then that! what bank is it through? what type of card is it?

Obscurelight

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
NYC

I'm very interest too :eek:

vulcan125

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2011
would like to buy new Air, but not quite sure about that plan, $200+...
Is it worth?:confused:

I echo the sentiments of those who say use a credit card that extends the warranty. My American Express adds an extra year. On top of that, I usually keep laptops for 2 yrs or less so it works out great.

If you're really set on it, wait until day 364 (to see how things shape up regarding reliability) and buy it.

Dubba

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2006
Nairobi, Kenya
Get the AppleCare

I have personally only ever bought one Apple laptop with my own cash (although I just ordered the 13" MBA i5 256GB) for myself, and all I ca say is that it is well worth getting AppleCare; case in point:

2004 - Buy 12" PowerBook (best machine by far) in the US with student discount + Apple Care
2005/6 - Numerous circuit board issues result in three repairs; on the third instance they replaced the machined with a 15" PowerBook as they were no longer making the 12"
2006 - Sold the 15" PowerBook and got a fully specced-out 13" MacBook (white)
2007 - Sold the 13.3" White MacBook for what I paid for it and bought a 13" Black MacBook (which I am still using)
2011 - Just ordered the 13" MacBook Air; giving my 13" Black MacBook to my parents after the bottom case is replaced by Apple (out of AppleCare warranty)

Additionally, I purchased an iPhone 3G in Italy in 2009 (when it was one of the few places to get an unlocked iPhone 3G when they first came out), and purchased AppleCare in the US. The phone developed a crack in the back casing, and I sent it off to Italy for a repair; got back a new iPhone.

I would never buy an Apple product without AppleCare - but then again I am using a Black MacBook (2007) having only paid for a 12" PowerBook some years previously.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I've been buying Macs for almost 30 years, but with the Air I got my first AppleCare. It's well-built but just seems too delicate to take a chance with. Cool thing I didn't know is one AppleCare covers a whole system. Not multiple computers, but all accessories that are similar in age (but don't have to be purchased at the same time). So for example, my 2TB Time Capsule is also covered under the same AppleCare that I got for the Air.

Does that cover parts and labor? I dunno, I feel a lot more comfortable taking a computer covered by AppleCare in for repair than one covered by some credit card. With AppleCare, I think, at least at an Apple Store, you are going to get help with no questions asked, with credit card coverage, I wonder what kind of service you will actually get.

vulcan125

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2011
I've been buying Macs for almost 30 years, but with the Air I got my first AppleCare. It's well-built but just seems too delicate to take a chance with. Cool thing I didn't know is one AppleCare covers a whole system. Not multiple computers, but all accessories that are similar in age (but don't have to be purchased at the same time). So for example, my 2TB Time Capsule is also covered under the same AppleCare that I got for the Air.

Does that cover parts and labor? I dunno, I feel a lot more comfortable taking a computer covered by AppleCare in for repair than one covered by some credit card. With AppleCare, I think, at least at an Apple Store, you are going to get help with no questions asked, with credit card coverage, I wonder what kind of service you will actually get.

Typically those programs require you to get a repair quote and then submit all the documentation to them. You can get a quote from the Apple store or really anywhere else that's qualified to perform the repair. Once approved, they either credit your account or send you a check. I've personally used the Amex program for a failed LCD backlight outside of the warranty and had a credit on my account in about 3 days to cover the repair.

The bottom line is that Applecare is definitely more convenient but there's a price to pay for that convenience. For me, I prefer keeping the $250 and relying on my credit card's coverage if anything happens. After all, it's not like accidental damage is covered by Applecare anyway...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.