AppleCare protection plan

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by saint, Aug 14, 2002.

1. saint macrumors regular

Just got a letter from apple saying my warranty is about to expire on my iBook.
    Can't decide if I will pay for an extra 2 years warranty or not, any suggestions?

How many people actually go for the protection plan anyway?

cheers

ps. I haven't had any problems with the iBook so far.

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

my suggestion... if you plan to hang onto the ibook for more than another year or so, it's probably worth it.

portables are more susceptible to problems, and already having 2 years under its belt it's more likely to be a problem...

if you're only gonna have it another year or less... then don't bother...

3. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

I gotta agree

For portables you should probably go for it. I wish I had had the money to when my time came. 2 months after my warranty my CD/DVD module went out on my Pismo. Got one from eBay for $150.00, but if I had had AC it would have been free.

About the only thing Apple has replaced out of my warranty is the power adapter. It got flaky on me, and when I mentioned it to them, they immediately gave me one. They didn't ask for serial numbers or anything. I think they are jumpy now when it comes to adapters.

My 2¢.

Gus

4. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

I say it's worth it. My HD on my iBook sounded louder than normal and I got a new one. The rubber foot on my battery broke off and they sent me a whole battery to replace it. And it's still less than a year old.....

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: AppleCare protection plan

This was a question I asked last week in a poll, take a look and see just how many people went for it.

6. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

Apple takes VERY good care of anyone thats on AppleCare

I bought a Ti a year ago and its been to AppleCare two or three times now.....but each time only took a few days and the problems were always fixed VERY efficiently!

It is expensive, but its not a ripoff at all........

On the other hand....if you're not planning on using your computer very long, then don't do it.......otherwise, DO IT!

7. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Without any equivocations, GET IT!!!!!!!!!! ;)

It will pay for itself in one repair!!;)

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

unless you plan to ditch your computer within a year.....

while i agree with your stance... you're assuming that it will need a repair. which, while definitely possible, is not certain. so it may or may not pay for itself.

that said, get it if you're keeping it for a while

ps. when will saint ever show his face again???

9. saint thread starter macrumors regular

Here I am!

Thanks for the advice. I think I will get it, because I do plan to keep the computer for at least another 2 years.

...What if one of the other 3 feet broke off, I wonder if they would have replaced your whole ibook? :p

cheers

10. Dr_Floyd macrumors member

and it gives you an added 2 years of techsupport. Over all it is worth the money. the Applecare also gives you techtools.