Applecare question; Mac Pro + Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by suneohair, Sep 17, 2006.

1. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Ok, so I bought a mac pro a couple weeks ago. This week I am buying a 23" ACD.

I have a PowerMac + Display unregistered AppleCare. Is there anyway to get Apple to put them on the same AppleCare even though I didnt buy them at the same time? Thanks.

2. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

They should be able to, as purchased Applecare doesn't go into effect until the standard 1-year of Applecare expires.

3. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

Sweet. I will give them a call once I do order my Display. Just wanted to see if they would give a hassle.

4. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Sorry to sound negative, but I think you won't be able to get Applecare cover on your new display. To get Applecare on both Mac Pro + Display, they must be purchased together and appear on the same invoice. Apple seem to be quite picky about this, you'll probably end up having to purchase the seperate Applecare policy for the Cinema Display.

Saying that, I hope I'm wrong, but you'll not know until you ask Apple to clarify

5. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

Well thats what I figured. Maybe I'll just say I made a mistake and thought I had ordered it at the same time or something. I hope I can get it on there.

6. KilGil27 macrumors regular

KilGil27

no, you have to buy the computer and the display at the same time for the Applecare to work for both. Otherwise you have to buy two seperate applecares

7. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

If you are close to a physical Apple Store you can explain the mistake and if dealing with a friendly sales person they will do a paper exchange (their words) and resell you your display & system without the restocking fee. They did it for me when my CTO MacPro went south.

8. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

Well, I just went ahead and registered my Mac Pro. It gave me the option to add a display, put it said it had to be bought on the same day. Oh well. I can pick up the AppleCare for the display on eBay for like $50.