AppleCare Question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jsfpa, Feb 7, 2006.

1. jsfpa macrumors regular

jsfpa

I just had a scare with my new Intel iMac. It wouldn't boot. It just made a clicking noise. It finally booted but now I'm nervous, I'm thinking it might be the hard drive. So I've decided to invest in AppleCare. My question is, how long after you purchase a system can you still add AppleCare?

2. dmetzcher macrumors regular

I believe that you can add it any time prior to the 1-year warranty running out. I've decided to hold off, but might add it next month, as that would be just before the year runs out.

Regarding the issue that you are having, if your drive fails on you, and you don't have AppleCare, you are still covered under the 1-year warranty.

3. jsfpa thread starter macrumors regular

jsfpa

Thanks for the info. I figured the drive was covered for the year but with my luck it would go in 13 months. LOL

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It is one year. My 1 year is up on 2-23 so I am buying it on the 10th.

5. johnnybluejeans macrumors 6502

Could you explain a little more about the problem?

Did it happen from boot up, or from waking your iMac from sleep?

I've heard of problems with both situations, where all you will get is a black screen and maybe a clicking noise, maybe a quick spooling of the fan..

6. jsfpa thread starter macrumors regular

jsfpa

It started from a wake up when I got home from work. Black screen and clicking. I tried to reboot but got the same. Not sure what I did if anything to get it to work but has been fine for the last 4 hours or so.

7. jsfpa thread starter macrumors regular

jsfpa

Update - I found the problem

I found after searching this forum another person with a similar problem. For them it turned out to be a memory chip that was loose. To night I noticed that my "About This Mac" was only reporting 1 gig of memory. As it turned out my second memory chip was not seated as it should be. What a relief! I did end up purchasing Applecare which is probably a good idea anyway.