applecare question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Steven1621, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

can applecare be purchased after the initial purchase, say six months later?

also, does MacMall offer edu discounts?

2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

AppleCare can be purchased anytime within the first year after the initial purchase. If you haven't bought it within 11 months, Apple will contact you and ask if you want to purchase it because your 1 year warranty is about to expire.

I believe MacMall doesn't offer educational discounts, but I could be wrong. Though, I'd say I'm 99.999999997% sure they do not.

3. gravityplan macrumors newbie

so does Applecare give you 3 years warranty from the date you purchased Applecare, or 3 years from the date you originally purchased the machine? It looks like there is an incentive NOT to buy Applecare right away if it's the former.

4. rschapel macrumors member

It's total, not 3 years from when you buy it. Some have said that apple will treat you better if you have applecare, also if you are unsure its a hardware problem and you want to get them on the phone in the 1st year to check and your wrong... your paying money.

5. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

AppleCare extends the warranty to 3 years from the date of purchase of the COMPUTER.

Your right, it pretty much is an incentive not to buy it right away. They probably do this because people don't want to spend so much right away. You can fork over the big money for the computer now, and purchase the extended warranty when you have some more cash.

6. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

You're logic doesn't make sense. It IS an incentive to buy it with the computer. You're paying the same amount for Applecare regardless when you buy it and it covers from the point when you buy the machine, not the plan. :confused:

7. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I'm actually confused by your post. Why is it an incentive to buy it with the computer? You have a 1 year warranty for free, and AppleCare just adds two more years to it. I think it's an incentive to wait because you can wait a whole year and save up more money, then purchase the 2 year extended warranty.

I see the incentive to be that I don't HAVE to purchase AppleCare when I purchase my machine. Meaning, I have a whole year to save up more money so I can buy it.

Do you see what I mean?

8. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Why pay, for example, $250 (it costs the same amount for three years aor less) for just two years, when you can have it for the full three? Also after three months, Apple tech support will not talk to you over the phone if you have a question or issue. That alone is worth getting it right away.

9. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Apple tech support isn't SUPPOSED to talk to you, but they do. You are correct about purchasing AppleCare with the computer to continue to get the tech support, but read my story below:

Yes, you are only SUPPOSED to get 90 days of free phone support, but I've NEVER been charged for calling Apple. I had a problem with my iBook about 8 months after I got it. I phoned Apple, they looked up my computer and said that my free phone support had expired. I said that I have an issue that is covered under warranty and they said since that was the case, I wouldn't be charged for the call.

So, as long as you are asking a question about an serious issue covered by warranty, then you won't be charged. That was the case for me, and everyone else I know who owns a Mac.

Now, if you call after 90 days without AppleCare and ask about a non-warranty issue, then they will charge you. That is where AppleCare comes in handy.

10. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

apple will talk to you if it's hardware related problem. they may take down your credit card info (but won't charge you yet) just in case the problem happens to be software related. (then you get charged, since your warranty is a hardware warranty.) if it's hardware related, apple will not charge your credit card even if they take down the number because it's covered by the warranty.

applecare will let you talk to them about any problems without the "fear" of being charged. you still have three months to save, though.

11. chlorophyl macrumors newbie

Don't count on it

Don't count on Apple contacting you. From what I've heard, that used to be a courtesy, but is no longer standard procedure.

On the educational note, the Apple Store does give educational discounts on both the machine AND AppleCare, so it makes that purchase a little less painful.

12. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    But not for us folks in Florida...

Unfortunately, if you are not a business or other such institution in Florida, you cannot buy AppleCare. It has to do with state insurance policies, as I understand it.

So, therefore, it is of no use to us in Florida, and no incentive to me personally. :(