Applecare Repairs on a BTO Powerbook?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by locovaca, Feb 1, 2005.

1. locovaca macrumors regular

May 14, 2002
    So, my BTO 1.5 GHz PB 17" needs a new logic board (bad VRAM)- called up Apple and a box is coming. Based on my previous experience it's going to probably go to Memphis, but my question is this- do BTO boards take longer (I have 128 megs VRAM) to repair? I know that they special order the 'books overseas, so I wasn't sure if it took longer or not to do a repair on the part that essential requires a new 'book to start overseas.

Of course, my hope is that they just send a new 17" PB because they'll be fresh out of 1.5 GHZ 128 VRAM 17" logic boards ;)

Any experiences?
  2. mischief macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2001
    Santa Cruz Ca
    Any warranty repair center worth it's salt has parts on hand.

I haven't worked on an Aluminum (yet) but previous generations have had most of those BTO components as sub-boards so there'd be less to replace.

Unless they've allowed their parts-on-hand to be depleted it shouldn't take more time than it takes to replace and verify. There's always the question of workload though... If they're up to their hairlines in (say) eMacs with DOA CRTs it may take a while.
  3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

If its going to Apple you should be fine, at the moment I think they have plenty of replacment boards in stock.
    However if were taking it to a local Apple Authorized repair shop they rarely keep boards in stock, instead they order the board from Apple as machines come in, its much to expensive to stock logic boards from Apple Service!