AppleCare Service Question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by goglamosh, Feb 12, 2004.

1. goglamosh macrumors member

My Superdrive in my iMac G4 stopped burning CDs. So I did as much troubleshooting as possible to remedy the situation, but nothing seemed to help. So I called AppleCare and after some diagnostics they told me to drop it off at an authorized service center for repair.

I went to the local shop and dropped off the iMac. While doing the paper work they mentioned something about paying $65.00 Rush fee. I told them that I had AppleCare and that I wasn't going to pay anything extra. They were real ambiguous with the information about the Rush fee. It seemed like they were trying to make it sound like I had to or needed to pay the fee to get my iMac repaired. Anyway, is this a standard practice for Authorized AppleCare repair depots to offer a "rush" fee? I thought that by buying the AppleCare Protection Plan all repair service would be prompt or "rushed"!

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

never heard of it

I have never taken in anything of mine to be fixed, but that sounds like a rush delivery or something. Like they would put it as the first inline to be fix, and you would have it the next day type thing. Because normally it takes a few days to get fixed or have a new one given too you, as in first come first serve, as fast as possible. Lets see if anyone else has heard this asked to them before, might be something new to help generate some more money.

3. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

hahahaha sounds like your local store is a front for "La Famiglia"

I think they were offering you the option to pay 65 bucks to get faster service and not have any "problems".

4. goglamosh thread starter macrumors member

Hahahaha. I just think it is stupid to pay half the cost of what the original AppleCare Protection Plan cost just to rush the service. They should rush it for free!!!!!!!!

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    no such thing as a rush fee. call apple care with your case number and you can report them.

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Agreed I have never heard of this. If you just call Apple they will usually have a shipping box at your door the next day if possible.

7. goglamosh thread starter macrumors member

yeah, i would rather have it shipped to apple, but they told me to go to this local place. they didn't require me to pay the rush fee, but i was surprised to have it offered to me. if it doesn't get fixed in a reasonable amount of time, i believe i will have to report them to apple.

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I would call and ask Apple in either case. Other people could be falling for this. Also I don't work for Apple but maybe Apple is offering some new service.

9. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

Scammy Canadians

Are you in the US?
    My local authorized Mac dealer in Calgary does charge such a fee.
    http://www.mymacdealer.com/service.html

They call it a "Queue jumping fee" and it's $95 !! Ridiculous.

10. Calliander macrumors member

If an AASP is busy, you can expect them to have a "Rush Fee" or "Expedite" service. My business offers this, but we explain the details and we also have a 24 hour diagnostic promise for machines checked in regularly. (At the very least, we will have verified the error within 24 hours and will be looking at what it will take to fix it. Sometimes it gets very busy.) If you pay the "Expedite" charge, which is not covered by warranty, the machine will be bumped to the highest priority. Say we have ten machines in the shop - four on the bench, six on incoming to be looked at - the Expedited machine will get looked at before any of those other ones on incoming and if any of the machines on the bench aren't doing anything important and can be unplugged, those will be bumped for an Expedite as well.

From a customer standpoint, I can imagine that this would seem weird, but it's a modification of the "first come, first served" thing. If someone comes in with their machine and it's under warranty, that doesn't make it any more important than any of the other machines we have. However, some people are in an absolute rush to get their machine fixed. It's unreasonable to demand that a business put everything else aside to work on your machine for no extra charge.

The place you took your machine to does not sound very kosher if they're telling you that you HAVE to pay the Rush Fee. I would see if there's an Apple Store or some other place nearby.

11. goglamosh thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I understand the jumping in line bit. It makes sense. The place I went to didn't seem too busy. I walked in there and they were just sitting around. Another thing, they told me it would 48 to 72 hours until they even looked at it. Is that normal or what?

12. Calliander macrumors member

13. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

In my experience with AppleCare, 72 hours is the turnaround time for the whole repair process--from the time you send it off to them to the time you get it sent back to you.

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

no its not. the only reason i can see them having you pay extra is if they have to diagnose it to find out the problem. if you know exacly what part needs to be replaced there is no reason why it couldnt be taken care of that day.

iJon

15. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Yeah it sounds like a protection charge. You know of the Mafia type.