AppleCare, Student Discount questions.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Optimus Rhyme, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Optimus Rhyme macrumors regular

Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.

So I'm planning on picking up my first Mac hopefully in the near future. I'm planning on picking up a C2D Macbook, and I'm patiently waiting for the update. But luckily for everyone, that's not what I'm posting about.

I've got a few things I'm curious about, and would love for the help.

Firstly, after seeing some people having problems with their Macbook, it's sort of made me realize that AppleCare is probably a good idea. Yet, I'm not 100% certain I'll have the cash for that at the time, so I'd prefer to wait.

Is it possible to buy AppleCare after buying the Macbook? If so, when is the time frame available? Is it within 90 days, 1 year?

Secondly, I'm looking to use a student discount too, but was interested if it is possible to buy the Mac in store with a student discount, or just online? I havent seen anyone say if it was possible or not, so I figured I'd ask. I'd rather buy the Macbook in store as I could get it faster this way.

Thanks for your help.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You can buy AppleCare anytime in the first year of ownership of the machine. But the standard phone support is only 90 days, so if you need that you'll have to spring for the AppleCare at that time.

Yes, EDU discounts on hardware are good in-store. Software EDU discounts are not.

3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

1 - You can buy Applecare anytime within that first year. IE: Your Mac will come with a standard 1-year warranty. You can opt to extend that to 3-years as long as your MB is still covered.

2 - Yes, you can use the student discount in store. Just be sure to bring a student ID and your driver's license, because in-store, they'll ask for it. (If you don't have a student ID, you can bring another form of proof.. your schedule, an acceptance letter, etc).

Enjoy your new computer once you get it! :)

4. Optimus Rhyme thread starter macrumors regular

5. Steven.nevets macrumors regular

Can I use the student/teacher discount in a non-Apple store? I live about 3 hours away from the nearest one, so it would be much easier just to head over to my local Best Buy/Future Shop/CompuSmart.

6. thicke macrumors newbie

The EDU discount will also get you a sizable discount on the AppleCare. It's a little over a hundred dollars off.

7. Optimus Rhyme thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately, in Canada the EDU discount looks like it takes the AppleCare from $299 to $219. Not quite as much as you said, but I can't complain about any money taken off.

8. samifan24 macrumors newbie

I live in the US but could get AppleCare for a MacBook for $213 shipped (including a $3 off shipping coupon) at Smalldog.com. International shipping might be a bit more expensive but give it a shot!

9. Optimus Rhyme thread starter macrumors regular

$213 US is more than $219 Candian though. $200 bucks isnt too bad anyways, once I can afford to buy it, I will just buy it.

10. samifan24 macrumors newbie

Sorry, I didn't think about the currency conversion factor!