AppleCare - Teacher Discount?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by lukekarts, Nov 29, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Both my girlfriend and I have MacBook Airs; however my girlfriend is eligible for Teacher discount via the Apple Store as a Primary School teacher.

Would it be possible for her to buy two AppleCare packs using her discount (buying one for me and one for her)? e.g. would it be invalidated if I use one, would there be any repercussions etc.

2. macrumors 68040

I don't see why not; you are allowed to buy applecare on a phone you get off ebay...

However, I think that if anything does happen to your computer, she will have to be the one to send it in for repairs (can anyone verify this?), since the applecare will be registered in her name. Else, what's to stop her from buying multiple copies for all her friends and relatives?

3. macrumors 68040

Applecare is registered to the serial number of the machine, not the owner. I don't see why buying Applecare at a reduced rate (although you should check out Bhphotovideo.com to do a comparison of price) would matter.

4. macrumors member

There is no problem with this at all.
    My partner and I did this.

5. macrumors 6502a

6. macrumors 68040

7. macrumors 6502a

Is PortableOne an authorized Apple reseller? I don't see any mention of that on their website and I don't recall hearing anything about them before. They do claim Sony and Toshiba authorization. Apple can be really sticky about Applecare bought from non-authorized sources.

LA Computer Company and B&H are Apple authorized.

8. macrumors 68040

9. macrumors member

I agree - they can be very sticky