AppleCare Technician Training

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Mudbug, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

http://www.apple.com/support/products/techtrain.html

I'm aware there are other threads (link, link) already on the boards about this, but they never got any response, and I have an almost identical question - IS THIS WORTH GETTING AND PURSUING? I'm looking to branch out my career and maybe start doing some consulting/repair work and thought this would be a good logical first step.

I'd really like some feedback from anyone who's done this program, and what steps they took after getting the package of stuff from the big fruit company.

2. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Bought the packet... Did the training... It's a bit useless if you're not working in a shop when you do it. THis is for a number of reasons:

* You'll get far less practical experience in the up-to-your-armpits hardware stuff.

* You'll need to work for an Apple Cerified Repair Facility for it to be relevant after testing anyway. Plus legally, after you're certified you're compelled to work ONLY in such a facility.

* If you certify for a job, they pay the $$ for the packet and the test. Otherwise you pay it.

If I had it to do again I'd still buy the packet though... I learned more than I often realize. The material covers a broad range of stuff from Networking (evil, nast IP stuff) to simple Open Firmware fixes to hardare and software procedures.

If I were you I'd get some Apple Technical Manuals via Google and some old machines and get really comfortable dicking around with them. It doesn't matter how old tha Mac is... Once you're comfortable ripping them down and putting them back together you're pretty much set.

Edit: BTW... CRT monitors... DO NOT **** AROUND WITH THESE UNLESS YOU ARE TRAINED TO DO SO AND EVEN THEN NEVER ALONE. THEY CAN KILL YOU THROUGH HIGH VOLTAGE DISCHARGE.

I'd see about getting a job that DEMANDS you be skilled at HW and SW troubleshooting. So much of it is unique to a given machine's quirks... The AppleCare manuals only briefly mention this aspect but it's the single most daunting thing.

If you can get a job where there are lots of Macs to maintain and no existing techie you can build up experience very quickly.

There's several excellent books out there to keep you on track:

The Mac OS X Conversion Kit: 9 to 10 Side by Side, Panther Edition
    by Scott Kelby

The Robin Williams Mac OS X Book, Panther Edition
    by Robin Williams

Mac OS X: The Missing Manual, Panther Edition
    by David Pogue

How the Mac Works
    by John Rizzo, K. Daniel Clark

How Computers Work, Seventh Edition
    by Ron White, Timothy Edward Downs

How Networks Work (6th Edition)
    by Frank Derfler, Les Freed

Plus Apple has PDF resources for setting up Airport that go into excruciating detail (30MB).

Some of these books look (and are) aimed at the Novice but they're ALL valuable and detailed while maintaining an interface that doesn't make your eyes swim. The "How (n) works" books are excellent for keeping the basic principles in mind and can get you out of overthinking a problem by refocusing your analyses.