AppleCare Totally Screwing Me

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacH4X0r, Dec 20, 2006.

1. MacH4X0r macrumors member

I've now been on the phone with AppleCare for 2.5 hours.
    I have a mbpro thats totally thrashed from overheating and such
    and so far apple will not do anything about it

it's business critical and when they offered to repair it they claim it will take between 7-10 days. not entirely helpful.
    then i go to escalation, tier 2, where they talk for 40 or so minutes and tell me there AREN'T ENOUGH PROBLEMS to qualify for a replacement. (though 2 years ago my powerbook started crashing frequently and they replaced it no questions asked) then I got disconnected.
    twice.
    third time i called back and was transferred to customer relations. FOR APPLE CANADA
    Finally after a 25 minute hold i'm now on the phone with customer relations and i swear to god if i get cut off or am not helped i WILL be taking the happy wagon over to cupertino to give jobs a piece of my mind.
    any suggestions?

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Suggestion: Don't post multiple threads of the same issue. Woo hoo!

And just be calm and act like the person on the other end is as much of a human being as you are.

3. MacH4X0r thread starter macrumors member

They told me I can't speak with a manager.
    bull
    freaking
    youknowwhat

4. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

So your machine doesn't work because the insides are all fried?

5. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

What exactly is wrong? Does the machine work? Or is it fried?

Because you only said it is over heating...

6. MacH4X0r thread starter macrumors member

basically.
    it overheats and crashes and loses files like freaking crazy and the case is warped.
    the batterys don't stay in it's warped that bad
    and they just told me i can't speak with a manager in the customer relations line

7. MacH4X0r thread starter macrumors member

the case is warped
    the thing overheats and crashes out
    i've lost countless files this way
    the display is dimmer than it was originally
    the battery is fried
    and they just told me that i can't have it replaced and that i can send it in or deal with it

8. Harpo macrumors member

Hmm — why not just take the 7-10 day repair?

9. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Is it possible to take it to an Apple Retail Store? Then someone can see it in front of their own eyes. They cant truly judge over the phone how bad a computer. And if Apple feels that the computer doesn't need to be replaced, then they won't. Now I know that pisses you off, but thats the way it goes. Thats why I asked if you could possibly take it to an Apple Retail Store so that someone can physically see how bad it is. Someone at an Apple Retail Store could see it and then say it needs to be replaced.

Nobody either at the store or on the phone needs to be treated like a junkyard dog. Its not their fault the computer isn't working properly. They're just following Apple policies. In other words, they're just doing their job.

10. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Yeah, I am sure their techs will take a look at it and replace it anyway.

Battery doesn't fit in? Sounds like the whole computer is toast.

11. MacH4X0r thread starter macrumors member

actually i've taken it to two apple stores and the jerk off genius bar techs tell me heat is a normal issue then refuse to take it any further

12. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I don't know what to tell you then... Obviously Apple feels its not an immediate issue and you won't let them take it from you to look at it. Apple is under no obligation to replace anything just because you need it for a business. If something needs to be replaced, then they will replace what needs to be replaced. Apple can't just go around replacing computer after computer just because of an issue it has. It would cost them millions. I'm a tech in a local computer store here and we have our own customers who run businesses off computers we sell to them that we have to send their computer in for a week or so. It happens dude....

Apple is trying to help you by offering to send the computer in. Just because you need it for a business, doesn't mean Apple has to send you a new one when they can just fix what's wrong with the one you have. Case warping doesn't effect the way the computer works. So you can bitch all you want about that and Apple won't fix it. You can throw it in the trash and buy a Dell, Gateway, IBM, etc and if it had a warped case, they also wouldn't replace it because it doesn't effect the way the computer functions. Apple can fix the overheating, battery and possibly even the display, but you're going to have to bite the bullet and send it in.

You can get pissed off at me and call me names all you want because you didn't get the answer you wanted to hear, but I'm just telling you the way it is. Sorry....

13. imacintel macrumors 68000

Does the fact that you created two threads also have to do with AppleCare screwing you?:rolleyes:

14. CedarPoint182 macrumors member

I also had a similar experience with Apple Care. To make a long story short, I purchased my first black MacBook about 2.5 months ago. It had random shutdowns, and I returned it (got it from Amazon). The second one started to have numerous casing problems (popping, separation, and warpage) so this time I thought I should get it repaired. Lots of time wasted going up to the Apple store, numerous rude employees, and the laptop comes back not fixed at all. I then wanted a replacement, but the manager at the Apple store would do no such thing. I called Apple Care (three times to be exact) and got some more un-caring, and borderline rude employees. My third phone call finally got me an understanding guy who basically said they would like me to send it in once more, and if it didn't come back fixed they would give me a replacement. He also said he would like to give me some extra RAM or a battery for my troubles. I chose the battery. It arrived the very next day at about 2pm. A $130 battery and next day shipping at no cost to me made me pretty impressed.

Having said that, I completely agree with you. Its rediculous to have to send machines for numerous inconvenient repairs. A new machine shouldn't have to be sent in for a repair- period. They really just need to offer people replacement machines on the spot.

One thing of note, I asked to speak to a manager in customer relations (as the person I was speaking to kept mentioning her "manager") and was transferred. The manager didn't answer, and I never received a call back, but she very clearly expressed there were managers to speak with. I called back the next day and was like you, told there was no manager. Quite odd if you ask me.

15. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I can understand your frustration... well I kinda can, but I haven't been screwed around like this before

But... I also work in the customer service industry, and if a customer is pissy with me, guess what I do? Make em wait even longer, and use the calmest, cockiest voice I have.

I don't know how you've acted to the AppleCare reps, but honey attracts more bees than vinegar.

However, I do think its BS that they won't let you talk to a supervisor. I would immediately take down the reps name and call back asking for a higher up rep... I can't remember what they are called.

Anyway, I really hope you get this mess sorted out. Keep us updated.

16. MacH4X0r thread starter macrumors member

long story short
    since the reps at the genius bar had never noted the heat as an issue, just that i had a popped battery in july and a ram door bend out in june they will NOT replace, only repair, since there have to be 3 repair attempts.
    so now i'm S-O-L for a computer.

also it was great that they listed 3 places to renot a mac, that don't rent macs. (magnolia hi-fi as an example)

I know it will come back repair-less, then I get this process again and when it comes back the third time, new laptop.
    pricks.

17. James L macrumors 6502a

That's so weird that you are getting the run around....you seem like such a nice person.

:D

18. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Apple is offering to repair your machine and the repair facility will evaluate
    how bad it is, before they take it any further.

It's a shame you don't have a desktop at home to get by one for a week.

19. Shotgun Pete macrumors regular

I think that the people on the line should definately have let you speak to a supervisor, but I think that 7-10 business days is AMAZING turn around time for a warrenty repair, and I think that three time repair policy before replacement is also a high point for apple!

If they replace every computer that comes in for a repair like said earlier it would cost them millions, but they arent being pricks and not replacing it at all!

A warrenty isnt some magic thing that prevents product from breaking.

20. chipchen macrumors 6502

Shotgun, he DID get escalated. Customer relations is the end of the line. From Tier 1 to Tier 2 to Customer Relations.. they are the ones that can single handedly decide about each case.

When someone calls in for a problem, they offer a warranty repair. I think they should never have offered a replacement the LAST TIME. You obviously think that you can call in and replace a computer at whim!

The Genius Bar isn't there for their own amusement. You think they want to see you coming back to bug them every chance you get? They will gladly check it in for repair if the see a need. They see LOTS of computers, and have the certifications... yet you think you are the pro?

And you obviously bring yourself accross as a jerk... let's just say that doesn't help your cause.

Sell your computer and buy a PC. Whine to DELL or HP about getting a replacement everytime you feel like you deserve one.

21. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Please and i say again please, drive over to Cupertino and give Steve a piece of your mind, then come on here and tell us about your experience. :D

22. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I really find the story hard to believe.

Apple is rated number ONE for customer service! If the case warps to the point where the battery can't go in there's no way it can be passed off as normal :mad:

23. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

All Together Now

All we are saying, is give peace a chance. ;)

24. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Apple is screwing me by not shipping parts until the new year. :mad:

Eff that number one customer service. It's a PAIN and I mean it, to talk to Apple over the whatsoever NOT TOLL free line in the UK. Sent my iBook for repair on the 5th and it was only on bench on the 9th and I received a call on the 13th and they told me the jobs done. Took it back home, yeah everything ran smoothly for about 15 minutes, sorta not really using it, just running through the making account in Tiger and once that's done, Finder start giving me some wierd Non Responding stuff, Mail starts to quit when it's fully loaded and iTunes wouldn't even start playing a song, etc...Did a restart and it wouldn't even boot. Try whatsoever Disk Warrior, TechTool (The Protection Plan thingy), and Apple Hardware Test, but still no help. Went back to the shop, they said they didn't actually "test" it and it was a shame that it broke down again and yeah frustrating. It was so called left ON...Sent it back on the 18th and yeah they say, Apple is whatsoever NOT shipping parts until the new year, now I'm screwed!

25. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Well you can blame Apple, it is not like such issues are limited only to them.