AppleCare UK – Complete Crap!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by edesignuk, Mar 6, 2004.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I call Apple to get my Mac looked at as it won’t stop kernel panicking, where do I get through to? That’s right, some piece of sh*t Indian bloody call centre with a women who I can hardly understand using some cheap headset so that I can hardly hear her either. Then it gets worse. Their collection policy is that they send a courier out with a box to collect it, this all sounds fine you might think. Then they tell you it will be some time in the next 1-3 business days. How many people to you know that can sit at home 3 days straight waiting for some courier to turn up?? What’s that, none? I thought so!
    So now I’ve had to drive my Mac to a repair centre in London myself, using my petrol (40 mile round trip), and it’s gonna be 15 days before they even look at it!

I paid over £2.5k for this thing, and then more for AppleCare, I expect much better service than this!!!!! :mad:

2. iGav macrumors G3

I actually experienced a similar thing when I called AppleCare first thing this year to register my PowerBook (it'sd been back 3 times in a year, and I ain't buying till Apple squeeze in a G5, so figured it'd be a worthy purchase), anyway, the woman that dealt with registering was the usual smooth *read sexy as* irish type, no probs there... ;)

I then ask to be put through to Customer Services, querying a missing £80 Apple owed my from when I purchased my PowerBook back in December 2002, (yes, it's taken over a year to sort out) and then I was put through to an Indian call centre as well, and I experienced a similar scenario to yourself.

Not only could I not understand her, she couldn't understand me, and she had no idea how to deal with international bank transfers (neither do I, but it's not my job to know), and to make matters worse, I was having to explain the situation regarding why Apple still owe me £80 and why I wanted it back, all to a lady who's English was about on the par with my Indian. :rolleyes:

As for the AppleCare collection, I must have used it at least (and this is probably on the conservative side) 9 times in the last 3 years... so I know all about the dreaded 1-3 days malarky... :rolleyes:

Your best bet mate, (and I know you've taken it to a service dealer, but for future ref) is to take the Mac into work (a pain yes, but you can get it returned to your home) and get them to pick it up there, also don't let them drop off just the box, get them to wait for you to pack up the computer so they can take it there and then, it'll save you another couple of days.

AppleCare UK... a law into itself... :rolleyes:

3. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

edesignuk,

Sorry to hear with your problems with Apple UK. My recent experience was very good. My Powerbook's Bluetooth module failed for some reason. After going through the obvious troubleshooting stuff on the phone the Apple rep decided the Bluetooth module was dead. Offered to get the Powerbook picked up from work with the dreaded 2 day wait. But my Powerbook was picked up on Wednesday and I got it back early Monday morning the next week. Plus you can track on line with how the repair is going. Apple also offered to return the Powerbook to either my work or home address.

However it would have been nice not to have to return it in the first place ;)

4. lucab1982 macrumors member

After having ordered 2 brand new powerbook 12inch 1Ghz machines, i promptly paid via bank transfer and a CHAPS transfer to get my order done as soon as possible.

Three weeks later still no acknowledgment of the money being received and after trying to contact the representative who dealt with my order (i ordered by phone) it turned out that they couldn't find the £3000odd that i had sent.

Eventually they found it but after i had pestered them. no apologies, not even an offer of paying back the £25 i paid for same day payment. After quizzing them for some sort of compensation he said he would stick some software in the order.

the goods arrived but the software didn't. Very disappointed.

But to be honest with you it could be worse....if you order from cwonline.co.uk

:confused:

5. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

heh, that's where I have bought both my Macs from (old G4 400MHz, and current DP1GHz G4), and I never had a problem with them.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Bought mine from John Lewis since they add an extra year to the guarantee for no extra charge.

And figured that if anything went wrong, they'd likely be far more reasonable than Apple at returning it (somehow I can see them being more helpful than the 'send it 4 times' and we might replace it' option) :rolleyes:

And it's already been a good call - when the first PB was misbehaving with kernel panics in its first month, they just took it back, no questions and gave me a new lovely one!

7. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

My laptop came from John Lewis as well. I made use of the 28 day return policy, to return the 1st Powerbook that I got last year, because of the dreaded white spot problem. More recently when the Bluetooth module died, I retuned the laptop direct to Apple. This is because John Lewis don't do their own repairs and have to send it on. This normally means they will take longer to do it than Apple. However as you mention you get an extra years warranty, which you can only use at John Lewis and was the main reason for buying at John Lewis in the first place.

8. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Where is John Lewis? Is it in London? I might be there after september some time looking to buy a 12" PB.

9. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I still can't believe how crap Apple treat their UK customers, they rip us off in the first place (we pay much more than US customers), then treat us like crap when we need support we paid extra for :mad: :rolleyes:

10. asif3 macrumors member

I know how you feel mate - I paid around £300 (I think) for AppleCare for my AlBook and they've had it for 8 weeks!

/methinks it's best to just buy it from a computer store like John Lewis - they're the best!

It's odd that they gave you a three day pickup time though - I phoned my PB in on a sunday and they said they said the courier would definitely be there to collect it on Monday - and they did.

Hopefully things will improve with the new AppleStore in Regents St.

11. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Good for you, bad for me, just goes to show that there is not even consistency in their policys...bastards...:rolleyes:

12. asif3 macrumors member

What type of computer are you using? iMac, PowerMac, PowerBook, iBook?

13. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

2002 Power Mac G4 Quicksilver. Well...I was anyway...on my good old PC now :eek: :p

14. asif3 macrumors member

Did you say Good?!? :p :p hehe ;)

I was doing my nut in when I had to use a Dell because of my PB being away. I went to school and convinced them to loan me an iBook :cool:

edit: typo

15. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Can you get edu discount with John Lewis?

16. iGav macrumors G3

I had a nasty run in with them over the phone, after my Brothers eMac started smoking the 2nd day he had it... they passed the buck, and wanted nothing to do with it... :rolleyes:

After spreading the gospel around design companies I know, I slashed a couple of tens of thousands from there potential order books... a job well done. ;) :D

17. lucab1982 macrumors member

18. codemother macrumors newbie

John Lewis are excellent

They took back my Ti powerbook when the paint started flaking off after I had it for NINE months - gave me full refund! I phoned Apple first of course but they didn't want to know. 'paint isn't covered by the warrenty' was their response. The Apple UK store pissed me about with my last purchase - i cancelled and got it from JL instead. I won't ever bother with the online apple store again.
    C.

19. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

thats funny my experience with apple in the uk has been good i always got some nice irish guy that was really helpfull I'm doing the apple cert thing so i'll do most of my own stuff :)

20. lucab1982 macrumors member

CWOnline drove me up the wall because when i ordered an iMac for my friend i wanted to make sure that it had Panther (not much to ask as it was released 5 months ago!) pre-installed. My friend is a student so doesn't really want to spend more than he needs to.

But it arrived without Panther and it must have been really old stock.

Plus they took ages to deliver it.