Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
The screen on my iPhone 6 shattered today. The outer edges of the phone has scratches and dings. Will they just replace the glass, the glass and chassis or replace the entire phone? I won't have to do an iTunes backup if they aren't going to replace the phone.

Last edited:

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
This is the first time that I've had a phone fixed/replaced under Applecare. I thought I'd have to bring it in. Didn't know they will just send me a new one then I send the old one back.

I know it only takes a minute to backup. It's usually backed up to iCloud. I mean that I would also back it up on my computer (forgot to note that).
[doublepost=1464750819][/doublepost]From what I read on Apple's site, if I do it online, they will send me a box so I can send the phone in to be repaired. If I go into the store, they might be able to fix it there or they will have to send it out unless the phone is to badly damaged to be repaired.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Ro answer your question, they're very likely to repair the screen rather than replace unless the chassis is damaged beyond repair (i.e. Bent to the point that a new screen can't conceivably fit). A few scuffs shouldn't be grounds for replacing the phone in its entirety.

As far as the replacement, Apple used to out a hold on a credit card for the new device to keep people from essentially scamming them out of hardware. I'm unsure how they do that now or IF they do that. I read recently Apple has become much more strict about repairing taking priority over replacing, so what you've read online may be a reflection of that.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Ro answer your question, they're very likely to repair the screen rather than replace unless the chassis is damaged beyond repair (i.e. Bent to the point that a new screen can't conceivably fit). A few scuffs shouldn't be grounds for replacing the phone in its entirety.

As far as the replacement, Apple used to out a hold on a credit card for the new device to keep people from essentially scamming them out of hardware. I'm unsure how they do that now or IF they do that. I read recently Apple has become much more strict about repairing taking priority over replacing, so what you've read online may be a reflection of that.

Wrong.... I went to the Apple Store on Fifth Avenue( Manhattan, NYC) to replace my device that is covered by Apple care plus ( my iPhone 6 plus) and when I went there the guy even asked me if I want it replaced and wait or get a replacement and checked the last time I did a backup.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Just go online and have them overnight you a brand new phone - then send yours back tomorrow in the box they provide you... Done!

Why do some still say it will be replaced with a brand new phone when it will not, and OP will get a refurbished one ?

Reactions: M. Gustave

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Wrong.... I went to the Apple Store on Fifth Avenue( Manhattan, NYC) to replace my device that is covered by Apple care plus ( my iPhone 6 plus) and when I went there the guy even asked me if I want it replaced and wait or get a replacement and checked the last time I did a backup.
I'm only going by with what people have reported here. I don't doubt your situation is factual. I've had a phone replaced out of warranty for $100 because the employee was simply nice. What I am saying is that Apple seems to be trending away from full replacements in favor of repairs. As always, the employees and particularly managers have a great deal of leeway as to how they handle things.

Reactions: willmtaylor

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I'm only going by with what people have reported here. I don't doubt your situation is factual. I've had a phone replaced out of warranty for $100 because the employee was simply nice. What I am saying is that Apple seems to be trending away from full replacements in favor of repairs. As always, the employees and particularly managers have a great deal of leeway as to how they handle things.
Yup. Any given employee on any given day.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

Yeah and so you're still wrong..... Being nice goes a long way and I can show proof I got a replacement and not a fixed screen. Serial numbers is different. I never asked for it but was asked if I wanted a replacement vs a fix.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Yeah and so you're still wrong..... Being nice goes a long way and I can show proof I got a replacement and not a fixed screen. Serial numbers is different. I never asked for it but was asked if I wanted a replacement vs a fix.
Don't be a douche. He said that's what he's read from firsthand accounts. Your experience was different. That doesn't make him wrong.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Don't be a douche. He said that's what he's read from firsthand accounts. Your experience was different. That doesn't make him wrong.

I'm not being a douche.....just calling him wrong. He actually never experienced it first hand himself...... I have

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I'm not being a douche.....just calling him wrong. He actually never experienced it first hand himself...... I have
It's already been made clear (and it's common knowledge) that experiences may vary. They can, in fact, vary greatly from store to store and even from day to day. It has nothing to do with right and wrong.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I'm kind of confused here. I'm agreeing with you in saying that it's perfectly possible and pribable they gave you a new phone with zero hassle. And im unsure why you're insistent that I'm wrong. I'm simply saying that Apple is, on an official level, pushing repair over replacement. It's unclear how your situation proves me wrong, but if your goal is just to state I am wrong, that's perfectly fine with me.

Their official repair policy is even reflected on their page about screen damage, for what it's worth. They mention nothing about giving you a new phone; this doesn't mean they can't and/or they won't.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I'm kind of confused here. I'm agreeing with you in saying that it's perfectly possible and pribable they gave you a new phone with zero hassle. And in unsure why you're insistent that in wrong. In simply saying that Applenis, on an official level, pushing repair over replacement. In unsure how your situation proves me wrong, but if your goal is to state in wrong, that's perfectly fine with me.

Well how I read it sounded differently.... Playing nice with them goes a far way and with the leeway they have you shouldn't have any issues getting a new phone ( new to you)

Reactions: lordofthereef

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Well how I read it sounded differently.... Playing nice with them goes a far way and with the leeway they have you shouldn't have any issues getting a new phone ( new to you)
Fair enough.

In only stressing that an employee operating strictly by the book may not offer replacement regardless of how nice you are, again, based on Apple's own written policy alongside what others have reported here.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Fair enough.

In only stressing that an employee operating strictly by the book may not offer replacement regardless of how nice you are, again, based on Apple's own written policy alongside what others have reported here.

I would simply leave and make another appointment and hopefully get somebody else lol. Apprenantly phone damage gets priority over other issues since I was literally called right after I got there and the tables was crowded.

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
My wife shattered the screen on her 6s plus last Night. I took it to the 5th Ave store in Manhattan. While waiting for the appointment I backed it up in anticipation of a new phone. The genius took it, looked at it, told me the standard "if the chassis is damaged and the screen doesn't fit you get a new phone" bit. I asked him for a new phone instead of a new screen, to which he told me that "Apple takes the least expensive approach, screen replacement is first". Now I know that different geniuses follow different rules - but this was my experience. This was also the first time I had a somewhat rude genius, maybe because it was late or he was having a bad day, but he was pretty snippy. The only reason I wanted replacement was so that I didn't have to sit and wait for them to fix it, especially since they took me in 30 minutes after the appointment (it was 11:45 at that time). The whole process finished at 2am and on top of that, this morning the ear piece is not working, my wife can hear people only when she uses the speakerphone, which means I have to go back to the store.

So YMMV when taking a phone in.

As crazy as it sounds, I was thinking of driving over it with my car before giving it to the genius, just so they replace it, but that is so wasteful.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
I know you were joking, but according to the AppleCare terms, they can require a full description of what happened, and intentional abuse is not covered. The fine print actually gives them plenty of leeway to deny repairs, although it seems like that rarely happens.

Reactions: ABC5S

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
There is SO much variance from one person to the next in Apple Stores. I had some damage looked at last night, two employees said they thought it should be repaired free of charge because of the type of damage. Genius looked at it and immediately refused to help out. One of the people was a manager/lead that originally said it should be repaired for free. Not sure what was discussed behind closed doors, but it can be frustrating to hear all the stories of people getting massive leniency and then get absolutely none yourself.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
There is SO much variance from one person to the next in Apple Stores. I had some damage looked at last night, two employees said they thought it should be repaired free of charge because of the type of damage. Genius looked at it and immediately refused to help out. One of the people was a manager/lead that originally said it should be repaired for free. Not sure what was discussed behind closed doors, but it can be frustrating to hear all the stories of people getting massive leniency and then get absolutely none yourself.
Yup. I've experienced similar situations. At the end of the day though, leniency is exactly that: leniency.

I know the policies that are in place, and I have little right to complain if an exception from the policy isn't made for me.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Yup. I've experienced similar situations. At the end of the day though, leniency is exactly that: leniency.

I know the policies that are in place, and I have little right to complain if an exception from the policy isn't made for me.
It's true. I would personally prefer more consistency, though. I think it generates more customer frustration than satisfaction by creating such a luck of the draw scenario. At the prices they're now charging for iPhones and the prices they're charging for AppleCare and accident replacements, some consistency would be nice. I find it crazy, more than anything else, that they charge the same accident fee with AppleCare for a simple screen replacement as they do for an entire decide exchange. I think that's insane. It costs them far less to replace the screen. Saving only $30 on the repair begins to make me question the utility of AppleCare, which is why we see all these threads about making sure your phone is destroyed when you go the Genius Bar.

Reactions: willmtaylor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.