Applecare with Student Discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Amber, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Amber macrumors regular

My girlfriend is looking to buy a mac. I thought Applecare was £50 when you are a student? It's listing as £161 on the education store.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Stop. Hammer time :)

I believe Apple UK automatically give students extended warranty to 3 years on all hardware bought from the Edu store.

You may not need to buy Apple care at all if the computer was purchased with Edu discount in the first place it is already covered for 3 year.

3. caligula357 macrumors member

caligula357

i think that is the Higher Education store only, 3 years cover for free

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

it depends on your machine. in the US, AppleCare is less expensive for an iMac than a MacBook Pro, because the latter is more expensive.

5. Craigy Boy macrumors member

There are two education stores online in the uk. One you can access anywhere, the other you have to be on site (i.e on your uni campus). The latter one has a bigger discount plus you get free apple care for 3 years.

6. DMBGuru macrumors regular

The deal is 50 less the actual price.

So in the US it's normally $250 and the student discount is $66, so it costs $183.

7. irbdavid macrumors regular

irbdavid

If you access the apple store from your university or school (i.e. - though a .ac.uk address) you can use the higher education store, which has more significant discounts than the regular 'student' store you can access from anywhere, including the much cheaper applecare, though note the point above that you automatically (as I understand it) get a three year warranty from the higher education store (as opposed to the standard year warranty with the regular student / non-student stores).

As I understand only applecare, and not the warranty includes things such as free telephone support etc.

You can also get the higher education discount over the phone.

I got the cheap applecare when I bought my macbook, though with hindsight it would've been better to rely on the three year included warranty and spend the extra ~£50 or so on the hardware itself :D