AppleCare worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nesbitt_a, Feb 2, 2005.

1. nesbitt_a macrumors 6502

Guys, I'm puchasing a 15 SD with educational discount. Is it necessary to get or worth it to get applecare for 3 years as well.

Andrew

2. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Well... I'm not sure what a SD is... ;) However, I always look if I can afford to replace the item should something go wrong. If I feel that I can, I prefer to save the money I would apply to the Applecare to a savings account and consider it my first step to my next upgrade. If you'd be in major trouble if something broke on your Apple hardware, then you might consider buying the warrenty. That being said, remember that Applecare doesn't cover accidents such as drops...

3. nesbitt_a thread starter macrumors 6502

SD = superdrive.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

IMHO it's even more important with a PowerBook. Also with the the AppleCare you get a few three years of phone support, without it's only 90 days.

5. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I'd get it on a PowerBook.

Something to note, you can add Apple Care at a later date, up to your normal warranty. If you can't afford it now you don't have to get Apple Care now.

6. dkeninitz macrumors regular

I'll preface my advice with the admission that I'm mainly a PC user, one that loves Apple products but hates Apple (I've had nothing but bad service on my Apple products: 2 iPods, a 15" TiBook G4, 17" iMac G5; I'm adding a Mac Mini to the lineup for my son). I'd get AppleCare 'cuz it's my experience you're lost if you don't.

7. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I would say wait a year then make your decision. You don't have to buy the extended 2 year protection on day 1. You have a year to make up your mind.

8. jer446 macrumors 6502a

or if it breaks within the year, and its not covered, just buy apple care then :p

9. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Good advice, but beware! I did that very thing, but now I cant remember when, exactly, I bought my powerbook and now I am worried I waited too long!

10. electric macrumors regular

Without a doubt: Get it!!

Don't even think about not getting it. I bought it for my G5 and it has already saved me $800. I have a G3 and a TI Book that are bullet proof, but have recently bought a G5 and ipod mini that have been to the repair shop more than once. I know that extended warranties are usually a scam but with the high price and complexity of Apple products, you can't afford to not get Apple care.

P.S. G5 is being serviced by Apple as I type, been there for a week...... Weak!! currently using "bullet proof" TIPB

11. T.Rex macrumors member

I think its a total rip-off, especially for the powerbook. I don't get why people think they must get applecare when the get a laptop. Sure, you're laptop is more likely to be physically damaged - but applecare won't cover physical damage, or anything caused by neglect or poor treatment anyway!

From my experience, I've found that with electronics, if its going to fail, it will fail within the first few weeks to months rather than 3 years down the line. I've never bought an extended warranty on anything, saving myself easily over a thousand dollars, and I've yet to come across an instance where I wish I'd bought the warranty.

12. iGary Guest

iGary

I have not purchased Apple Care for my G4, my iMac or my iPod.

I will purchase it for my iBook before its year is up.

I had a two-year-old Sony Vaio and the keyboard and battery gave up at the same time. The care plan paid for itself.

ALWAYS warranty a laptop, IMHO.

13. MadMacs44 macrumors member

MadMacs44

Hey...I sell and Buy It!

Just some thoughts about AppleCare purchase.

I am an Authorized Service Agent for Apple (Small independent shop) and I sell AppleCare even though I only perform service not retail sales for Apple.

Is AppleCare worth it...YES!

First thing you should know is that if your going to buy an extended warranty is that it should definitely be from the manufacturer if available. They will support the product much better then the third party companies out there that offer the “Big Box” warranties.

Second thing is to do some quick math i.e. How much does it cost divided by how many years it covers. For instance, AppleCare for iMac is advertised retail at $169.00 + Tax and covers 3 years total from computers date of purchase. So average cost here is Approx. $56 a year (Not counting Tax). Thats pretty cheap [hardware insurance if you ask me].

Third thing to consider is that unfortunately as Apples Distribution channels open up, and demand for products go's up, quality may suffer and ultimately if enough service centers are not in place, repair times will grow longer.

I know one article above I saw was for a person who was ripped that their G5 is taking a week at the service center. Here is something that most people don't know and should: Apple punishes Independent Service providers when any mistakes are made in the diagnosis of a product. So if his G5 is at an independent shop, they may be taking extra care to nail the repair the first time so that Apple doesn't hammer their compensation for misdiagnosing a repair. One other thing to consider in that situation is that the repair depot is at the mercy of Apple for warranty parts. So if Apple does not have it in stock, then the repair shop cannot get it elsewhere and be reimbursed.

I also have to comment on what I have read here in several posts. Some people have said “ AppleCare does not cover accidents, drops, etc..” Nor should it. If somebody accidentally drops their computer, spills liquid on it, allows there kids to rip the keys off, etc, why the heck should Apple pay to fix that? I mean really, if you own a Ford, with an extended warranty and you drive it into something, even if its an accident, do you think Ford should fix it under their warranty? Not likely. Computers are tools that require care and should be handled as such. I cannot tell you how many times a person has come into my shop with an abused Powerbook stating that its under warranty like its automatic that we should fix it for free because they were careless with it... Think about it.

Finally, as I stated, I sell Apple Care, and I give discounts off the regular retail price. In fact I give great discounts because it guarantees me service down the road. So if you don't like the AppleCare advertised price shop around. It never hurts to ask if that is the best price.

BTW- I buy AppleCare for all my units and I have about 20 of them. So I practice what I preach:)

14. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Actually doesn't AppleCare only cover you for the two years after your first year of warranty expires so your math is a little off?

15. MadMacs44 macrumors member

MadMacs44

Actually my math is correct!

I think that I mentioned I sell this product. I would hope that im not talking out of my A## when I add specific product info:) My math is right. Applecare is active the moment you register it online at Apple.com. So my little math teacher, you are actually incorrect:0

Another thing that I should add here is that when you purchase Applecare, you need to register it just like a computer. They are inactive until you do this and can cause delay in support options down the road. Hope that helps:)

16. Vster macrumors 6502

Yeah its really worth it, got my superdrive replaced twice!! :D

17. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

So AppleCare gives you more warranty wise in the first year than the standard warranty does? I've been holding off on getting AppleCare on my PB until towards the end of the first year mainly as I hate spending money on something without seeing any immediate gains from it.

I guess /me should do some reading on AppleCare and maybe buy it sooner rather than later...

18. MadMacs44 macrumors member

MadMacs44

You get a little more the first year

The main item that you get in purchasing the AppleCare agreement within the first year, as was mentioned above is that your phone support from Apple is included for the 3 years, not just the first 90 day support. I believe their phone support, which obviously I dont use, was like $35/ per incedent or something like that last time I checked.

With Applecare you can call 24/7 and annoy the heck out of them with any Mac question that comes to mind!!:) Otherwise, if your not in need of the additional phone support, then waiting till the end of the first year is fine. Just remember, even if you are only 1 day out of warranty, you cannot buy the Applecare agreement! So if you want it, make sure you give yourself a reminder.

To add to this, I will say this. Like the person said above, they have it and already have had their Super Drive replaced twice. Think about that. They just got back the cost of their AppleCare+:)Like I always say, if you use the AppleCare for one repair over the 3 years then you brake even in most circumstances regarding hardware repair, if you use it twice..you have gained:) Hope that helps!

19. vtprinz macrumors 6502

I'm getting ready to buy a PM and I'm think I'll hold off until near the end of a year to get the Apple Care

BUT, say something does go wrong after 90 days, do I have to use email in order to get my computer fixed, as the phone support is gone after 90 days?

How does that work?

20. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

No, it does not.

I've gone the rounds with Apple on this and have confirmed that having Apple Care does not get you any preferential support from Apple. People like MadMacs44 who imply otherwise are misrepresenting Apple Care, IMO.

21. vtprinz macrumors 6502

I think he meant that you gain phone support over the normal warranty by getting the Apple Care

22. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

YES it's worth it. I had my Superdrive replaced twice - only 6 months after buying my PB 17" 1.33. Also had the screen replaced when I noticed two black pixel smudges in the menu bar area. They even replaced my edgeworn palmrest area and the screen bezel when they replaced the screen. The biggie was when the logic board went out 2 months after my warr. would have expired - that would have set me back 800-900. Worth every penny IMHO.

23. MadMacs44 macrumors member

MadMacs44

Hey Don- Read all the posts first!!!:)

First off, I am not misrepresenting AppleCare, Apple, or anyone else for that matter...Please check your/ my facts first. I actually said that the only real advantage is that you get more phone support after the 90 days. This is the truth... I can actualy prove it:)

Second of all, you keep going round and round with Apple or whomever, maybe you will get somewhere sooner or later. But accusing me and others of misrepresenting will get not get you anywhere, especially when the facts, as per Apple's AppleCare Agreement were written well before this post was started!:)

Edit: Just wanted to add that Apple GIVES no preferential treatment to anyone including myself, who happens to be an Apple Authorized Service Provider and you know what, I pay $700 more a year then end users just for that right:0 But hey, Im a happy guy with a little Mac shop. Whatever...:)

24. T.Rex macrumors member

Of course people are going to speak up here pointing out instances that Apple Care was worth it for them, but what you don't hear from is the vast majority who buy it and NEVER use it. Of course if money were no object, I would not hesitate to get Apple Care, but unfortunately this is not the case. Think about it, why do you think Apple offers an extended warranty? Because the vast majority of people never need it, and they make a bundle off it in the process - they're certainly not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts!

As for the guy who said they replaced his superdrive twice in the first six months: how is that an incentive to get Apple Care? Those repairs would have been covered by the standard warranty anyways.

Oh, and most people aren't aware of this, but if you buy anything on any major credit card (Visa, Mastercard, etc.) they cover you for double the standard warranty of the product up to one year. That means if you buy a Mac on your credit card, the standard warranty is 2 years absolutely free. Paying for one more year with Apple Care doesn't look so appealing now, does it? By the third year you will probably be looking to buy a new computer (if you're like me, anyways :rolleyes: ).

25. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Is the warranty provided by American Express, Master Card, and Visa the same coverage as if you got AppleCare? Including phone support from Apple for the two years?