AppleCare

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by premium4321, Mar 13, 2005.

1. premium4321 macrumors newbie

is it worth it to purchase AppleCare coverage for an ibook? do ibooks often have problems that will require me to bring it in for repair?

2. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Well, although this question has been answered more times that anyone can count. Buy it if you couldn't afford to purchase a new computer provided something went wrong after 1 year.

It will not cover accidents such as dropping or spilling liquid on the Mac. It's only for hardware failure.

So, it's really up to you. I try to pass on all extended warranties and look at the savings the down-payment on my next Mac.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I always purchase AppleCare. It provides peace of mind. My wife's PowerBooks has needed several repairs and so it has repaid every penny and more of the original cost.

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I'd say no to Applecare as well. Unless the logic board gets fried within a year, most likely the iBook will last a long long time if its taken good care of. Within a year, you'll find out if the screen works or any other part needs replacement. But it you require peace of mind, then go for it.

5. Bear macrumors G3

If you can't afford to repair or replace the iBook after the warranty is up, you might want to consider getting AppleCare. Remember you can buy it (and register it) anytime before the warranty expires.

Some people get it no matter what, some people get it if their systems had a problem during the warranty period and some never get it.

From my point of view, a laptop can get a lot on abuse that doesn't show as user damager and therefore would be covered under AppleCare.

If you're getting a base $999 iBook, then AppleCare probably isn't as worth it as if you configured it to the maximum configuration of around $2100 (US) since the AppleCare costs the same for either.

Paying $150 for AppleCare on a base MacMini also seems a bit ridiculous.

On the other side of the coin, buying a top end fairly loaded PowerMac (with a 30" screen) will cost from $7000 to $10000 or so and for that the $250 PowerMac AppleCare is but a drop in the bucket and well worth it.

6. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I got one of the first G4 iBooks so it's nearly 18 months old. All the problems got fixed in the first six months - leaving another six months of warranty. I personally don't see the need of Applecare. :)

8. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

For laptops I would always recommend AppleCare, because they get moved around a lot and the parts are more expensive. Go for it its well worth it if something goes wrong.

9. premium4321 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks everyone. sorry, i didnt spend too much time looking through all the threads to see if this question was answered before.

wdlove - what kind of probs did your wife encounter with her powerbook?

mad jew - what happened with your ibook that you had to get fixed?

just trying to get a sense of the "common" problems that other people have had.

thanks again :)

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

My iBook was one of the first G4s so there were quite a few quirks. Firstly, my RAM wasn't registering (installed by them) but they fixed this easily. Secondly, my battery was a bit lackluster so they replaced it within about half an hour of me asking. Thirdly, the trackpad screwed up big time and the curser would never go where I wanted and it would always fly all over the screen. They replaced the entire top of my machine for no cost but it was in the shop for a few days which was a little inconvenient.

Considering the fact it was new and comparing it to how many problems I've had with established PC brands (Dell and HP) I reckon it was an altogether good experience. :)