AppleCare

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iEric, Jan 8, 2004.

1. iEric macrumors 6502a

I bought a G4 Powermac in November 02, and now the warrenty is over. Nothing is wrong with it, but now I'm considering to buy the Apple Care protection thingy...can i do that..or did i have to do it when i bought the computer?

2. papersushi macrumors regular

You can only purchase AppleCare within the first year of your original purchase. Since your purchas date is Nov 02, you will not be able to purchase it anymore.
    :-(

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....I believe you have to buy Applecare within that first year warranty period...if you registered the computer with Apple they usually send you a reminder that time is almost up.....at least that is how it worked with my Powerbook......oh yeah!

4. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

I've always been strongly against AppleScare. Go with Safeware. It's cheaper and covers a hell of a lot more. http://www.safeware.com

5. iEric thread starter macrumors 6502a

ooooh..oh well...Its a desktop and I rarely hearing Powermac failure stories...I mostly hear about iBook and Powerbooks..so no big deal...I'll get AppleCare when I get a powerbook G5 ... whenever they come out.. :)

6. cmaracz88 macrumors member

It sounds too good to be true. The testimonials say that at best it'll take several weeks to get the computer repaired.

I'd expected that a company such as this would either:
    a) argue that any damage was done on purpose, or a stolen laptop was simply lost
    b) use bad parts or cheap sources to get repairs

But at this price, I would take it. Apart from the fact that it says "original defects" are not covered. So I wonder if the logic board mulfunctioning (one of the iBook's worse horror stories) would be covered or not.

7. iEric thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why do they have Alberta, Canada, but not British Columbia, Canada? :confused:

8. Pilgrims Pro macrumors regular

Does anyone have any personal experience with this. I am already looking into purchasing the AppleCare for my iBook, but if I can get this for a third of the price and they are legitimate I will do that instead.

9. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

I'm using Safeware insurance right now on my PowerBook. After too many lame experiences with AppleCare I decided to stop giving them my money. Safeware was recommended to me by a friend who had his PowerBook stolen. They replaced it. Then he dropped the new one. They replaced that as well. All went smoothly. Sounded good to me. I wasn't concerned with them not covering factory defects because Apple covers that for a year. Most likely with electronics, if something is going to go bad from a factory defect it will happen well within the first year, usually within the first month. After that, especially with a laptop most damage that will come will be from you lugging it around and we all know AppleCare won't help with that. I'd rather get my free year from Apple, then once I'm convinced I don't have a lemon I'll get some real insurance so I don't have to worry about my machine getting broken, lost, stolen, or dropped into an alligator pit. Feels good to not worry about it.

10. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Safeware in not the same as AppleCare. AppleCare covers mechanical breakdowns, Safeware does not.

From their FAQ:

How is computer insurance different from my warranty?

Warranties, by their nature, will cover parts and labor for manufacturer defects and internal mechanical failure, such as disk failures, inoperative keyboards, etc… Computer insurance, on the other hand, compliments the warranty by providing coverage for all kinds of unexpected, externally caused losses: theft, fire, power surges, lightning, spilled coffee in the keyboard, accidentally dropped notebooks and natural disasters like: earthquakes, hurricanes and floods.

11. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

Because us westcoast potheads are insurance risks. We might drop it in a bc bud induced high, or try to smoke from the pc card slot.