applecare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by stuuke, May 4, 2004.

1. stuuke macrumors regular

Is it worth it? I'm looking at a new powerbook and although I would like to think nothing would go wrong in year 2 and 3 I'm considering getting applecare. I tried doing a search and didn't come up with a lot of opinions.

2. zach007 macrumors member

I thought about it too.. but I just thought it was too expensive.. nothings went wrong yet though..

you know, you'd think for a $3000 computer you might get a little more than just 90 days of support... :rolleyes:

3. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Considering you have a full year from purchase to buy it... it's really not too bad.

And considering all the horror stories of what can happen to computers- I'd say it's well worth it. Case in point the most recent motherboard issues they had with the books.... sure, Apple did the right thing in the end, but what about everyone that didn't have an Applecare and had to pay out of pocket to fix it up front?...or what if Apple didn't issue a formal recall?

Yes, only 90 days of support could be better- but then, how often after the first month do you need to actually call them? Generally everything is set and done after the first week or so. If anything goes wrong after then- you're still covered for a year under warranty.

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

as others said, you have a year from your purchase date to decide whether or not to get it.

several things to remember:

1) it's not an insurance - it won't cover accidents

2) you get 3 years from the date of purchase of the computer, not the date of registration of applecare

3) for the first year, the original warranty that comes with the computer will cover any hardware defects. when you call after the 90 day phone support, you will be asked to give a credit card number in case the problem you are calling about turns out to not be hardware related. but if the problem is a genuine hardware problem, your credit card will not be charged.

4) for laptops, it makes a bit more sense, as one failed part could often mean total logic board replacement -> more expensive.

5. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Personally, I'd wait to decide until almost the end of your one year. Be careful though, you must register your Applecare with Apple before the year is up, NO exceptions. This means order Applecare with enough time to receive the box and complete the registration process before your year ends.

Since Applecare does not cover accidental damage, I think that if you decide you want some sort of protection for years 2 and 3 you might consider insurance instead. You should call your home insurance provider to get information on adding coverage specific to your powerbook. There are also companies that specialize in insurance for computers, like Safeware.

6. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

Some credit cards have "warranty plus"

One other thing to consider for a cheap extended warranty - some credit cards (my Alaska Air Platinum VISA, for example) offer an automatic doubling of your warranty, up to one extra year maximum.

So if you buy the Mac with the card (must be 100% purchased via your credit card), you get a 2 year warranty for no extra price (first year from Apple, second via the card's warranty dept where they reimburse your repairs).

Thus in my situation Applecare really only adds the third year of coverage (non-accidental, of course - if you drop it, Applecare won't apply either).

Now this doesn't give the Apple phone support (which I'd never use), so that's another consideration as well

7. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I think for any laptop owner- insurance is a must. Especially with it being so cheap. (I was quoted $64 for $2000 of coverage at Safeware.com)

Applecare covers what insurance doesn't- if your motherboard dies or if your hd stops working and so on...

Insurance is incase you drop your laptop- or spill something on it- or worst case senario, it's stolen.

Granted, if you expect to have and use your laptop for 3 years- you're looking at $542 ($192 for insurance/$350 for Applecare)... but, you'll have piece of mind that if anything at all was to happen to it, you're covered one way or another.

Thankfully, it's not all due the same day. :)

8. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Absolutely!

I'm not sure if I would get Apple Care with a desk top, but without question it's good to have with a lap top.

Lap tops have so many compromises built into them in order to give you mobility, but as they say, *there ain't no free lunch*. Many parts crammed into a tiny space, always being knocked aound, even by careful users, etc etc.

One repair can cover the cost of your Apple Care package, so IMHO it's worth it :)

9. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Only $64!! My quote was $120. So I went back to safeware to check. For whatever reason the insurance is almost double in Illinois versus New York. The price varies by location, so in Illinois 3 years of Applecare and insurance is $710. That is almost enough to cover any repair to a powerbook.