AppleCare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by joshua_msu, Aug 5, 2004.

1. joshua_msu macrumors regular

joshua_msu

Does AppleCare for PB's cover any accidental damage such as drops or spills?

2. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

3. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Probably not in most cases, although it might be able to help if you explain your situation. However, the plan states:

"The Plan does not cover: Damage due to accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification, improper environment (including lack of proper temperature or humidity), unusual physical or electrical stress or interference, failure or fluctuation of electrical power, lightning, staic electricity, fire, or acts of God..."

(I happened to have a copy of the plan sitting next to me)
    I like the acts of God part :D ;)

4. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

5. joshua_msu thread starter macrumors regular

joshua_msu

Thanks. I was just wondering, cause I know some of the other computer manufacturers offer it.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It would think that many incidents would be on a case by case basis. That is where having a local Apple Store would be a plus.

7. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

You could always get coverage for accidents under your hoouse insurance. That's what I have done and for only an extra 10 bucks a month it is well worth it.

8. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

For $250 for just the manufacture defects it seems pretty ridiculous imo. Home insurance that covers everything (including theft in some cases) a much more viable option.

9. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Officially no. However, if you have Applecare, the techs will bend over backwards to get it covered.
    Where I worked, if you had Applecare, we would nearly always get approval for repairs from Apple for incidental damage. In the rare case when we could not, the repair parts discount helped take the sting out of it.
    If you go in as a friendly customer in need, be honest about it, but also up front about funds issues, more often than not it can be worked out to help you out.

But officially, its not supported.

As for homeowners insurance- CHECK CAREFULLY. Not only do they have deductibles, often $500 to $1000 but MANY plans EXCLUDE computers or laptops specifically. You must add a rider to get coverage for these.
    This is also true for college computers if you have a child using a machine at school and its not at your house, some plans require a rider to cover it fully.