Applecript n00b, please help

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by GoaTrancer, Feb 20, 2012.

1. GoaTrancer, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012

GoaTrancer macrumors newbie

I have written the following script. I get no errors when I test it, yet nothing happens when I run it

Code:
    try

tell application "Finder"
    		move file "/Users/alexk/synctest/Untitled3.rtf" to folder "/Users/alexk/Dropbox/nupdftest"

end tell
    end try
    I have tried a couple other things in place of duplicate (copy, move), yet no matter what, after running the script I do not find the file in the target folder, "nupdftest"

Edit: the error I get back is "error number -1728 from file "/Users/alexk/synctest/Untitled3.rtf"
    I'm googling around to find out what that means in this context but not having a lot of luck. That path is absolutely correct, I double and triple checked.

Any ideas what is going wrong here?
    Apologies in advance for what is probably a dumb question.. but I've googled around and can't figure out what's bad about my script.
    PS in case you are wondering why I've made such a pointless script, it's just part of process of figuring out why a different script wasn't working, I just simplified it to eliminate sources of error.

2. Red Menace macrumors 6502

The Finder doesn't know about POSIX paths, it uses the colon delimited HFS paths. You can coerce to POSIX files, or use System Events.

3. GoaTrancer thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, that solved it, my script now works as intended. Thanks!

4. hadirajan macrumors newbie

How would the script look if I wanted to move all files in a specific folder?

5. Red Menace macrumors 6502

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Code:
    try

tell application "Finder"
    		move (files of folder ":Users:alexk:synctest:" whose name does not start with ".") to (":Users:alexk: Dropbox:nupdftest")

end tell
    end try
    I had to give a partial filename because if you run this without any file name, it starts by trying to move . and .. which of course can't be moved and you get error -17 somethingorother.