Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
here's what i don't get. i have notes icloud set as on on my iphone, but i've set up a clean install of mountain lion on my mac and only one of many notes are synced on the notes app of my mac.

why is that?

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
here's what i don't get. i have notes icloud set as on on my iphone, but i've set up a clean install of mountain lion on my mac and only one of many notes are synced on the notes app of my mac.

why is that?

I saw this same thing, it was because various notes on my iPhone were under various email accounts. Unfortunately, it's not as easy (AFAICT) to filter on all notes per email address as it is for all calendar appointments.

jwflutterby

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Shared PhotoStream question...

Ok so I've got the shiny new iOS 6 and thought shared photo streams could be shared with anyone. I thought it was web-based so if you just want someone to be able to see the pics they could point a browser at a site, log in, and see my pics. So I invite my mom who only has an Android phone, tablet and an old XP netbook thinking it could be like Facebook w/o being so public (cuz you know how bad the Karma is for not accepting the friend request from your best friend in Kindergarten's mom :rolleyes: ) and she tells me she can't get to it. Really? Am I missing something??? She doesn't need push notifications when I post new pics, I just want her to see all the pics in one place. I'll just post a photo page to my .mac site with iWeb instead, oh wait :mad:

Jakimo

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
I saw this same thing, it was because various notes on my iPhone were under various email accounts. Unfortunately, it's not as easy (AFAICT) to filter on all notes per email address as it is for all calendar appointments.

Consolidate the notes via the Mac Mail app, just drag and drop - pretty easy.

Johnchapin

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2008
Boulder
Still avoiding "the" cloud

You don't have to use iCloud for anything if you don't want to, but with Mountain Lion there is a real convergence with Mac, iPhone, and iPad app data for things like notifications, calendars, etc. And more to come in iOS 6. You can take a pass, but I think you'll might be missing out on some of the real strengths of their platform (and I was as curmudgeonly as you not long ago).

:mad: Old curmudgeonly Grouch here again :mad: "Curmudgeonly", I like that word. May eliminate the "grouch" part :)

I'm avoiding Mtn Lion and iOS 6 because of their pressure to use "the" cloud. "The" cloud still seems like a solution looking for a problem, meanwhile stumbling all over its own problems, only to be discontinued in the future like Mobile Me for the next great thing.

Here's an example of my concern: I use an EyeFi memory card in a camera to transfer photos to an iPad 3 to see photos on location on a great display. Greatest thing since color film. Can't wait 'til live view, what you see in the viewfinder, is supported.

So, "the" Cloud is going to "sync" these thousands of photos per month to an iPhone :confused: :confused: And, at what cost for storing all these high rez photos in "the" Cloud? Don't think so.

Last edited:

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
:mad: Old curmudgeonly Grouch here again :mad: I'm avoiding Mtn Lion and iOS 6 because of their pressure to use "the" cloud. "The" cloud still seems like a solution looking for a problem, meanwhile stumbling all over its own problems, only to be discontinued in the future like Mobile Me for the next great thing.

Here's an example of my concern: I use an EyeFi memory card in a camera to transfer photos to an iPad 3 to see photos on location on a great display. Greatest thing since color film. Can't wait 'til live view, what you see in the viewfinder, is supported.

So, "the" Cloud is going to "sync" these thousands of photos per month to an iPhone :confused: :confused: And, at what cost for storing all these high rez photos in "the" Cloud? Don't think so.
Agree completely about pressure to use "the cloud". Apple has gone though so many "cloud" iterations already and every new iteration brings more problems. When will they ever learn? I went through the awful .mac/.me transition, so when iCloud came along I switched to gmail. Bookmark syncing (the only thing that I really used) completely broke for me in the iCloud transition and I don't look forward to any more Apple missteps.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Where are the firstname.lastname@me.com -> firstname.lastname@icloud.com addresses?

iCloud Mail on an iOS device under iOS6 requires a @icloud.com email address. It won't accept anything else @me.com or appleid.

Why is that?

Also I have two iCloud setups one from a migrated @me.com account and the other attached to my appleid.

How can I merge these into one. I don't need two iCloud setups

c2darqdes

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Hi guys

I have a @gmail apple ID and after entered on icloud.com with my ID I have clicked on the email icon and it said that I should create an icloud account on a device to get through... so I did it on my iphone.

But this account was just a "test" one wich I suppose to delete it easily. But after hours trying to find out how to exclude this test@icloud.com mail from my iCloud account I could not find out a way to do it!!

When I go do Preferences inside the email on iCloud.com it shows my "test" account there, but no way to delete it!

Does anyone have an idea how to do that?

Thanks!

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
Ok so I've got the shiny new iOS 6 and thought shared photo streams could be shared with anyone. I thought it was web-based so if you just want someone to be able to see the pics they could point a browser at a site, log in, and see my pics. So I invite my mom who only has an Android phone, tablet and an old XP netbook thinking it could be like Facebook w/o being so public (cuz you know how bad the Karma is for not accepting the friend request from your best friend in Kindergarten's mom :rolleyes: ) and she tells me she can't get to it. Really? Am I missing something??? She doesn't need push notifications when I post new pics, I just want her to see all the pics in one place. I'll just post a photo page to my .mac site with iWeb instead, oh wait :mad:

It works just not as eloquently as if you were idevice owner. When you set up shared photostream, you need to enable the public sharing (turn switch to on). This will allow photostreams to be shared via the web (via a public iCloud link) so anyone can view it. An email is sent to all individuals asking them to Join the Photostream and below that there is text that says "Dont have an iCloud account, view photos on the web here". But you lose the ability to see/make comments.

I probably should update the OP since some has changed with this whole thing since I wrote it...but just getting back to Apple as I had switched to Android for a bit :) Shhhh.....

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Apple, at the very least, should allow you to change your iTunes email as the Apple ID.

This way, I can make it my_family_id@icloud.com to give to everyone in my family. Then I can use the original just_me@icloud.com for my email, contacts, etc.

I don't care about sharing contacts. I can drag them to the desktop, then drag them into the other persons contact app.

I can create shared calendars - so no biggie.

kriista1234

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
This is a very helpful guide. One thing I'm trying to figure out, however, is how to setup a second iCloud account and STILL be able to keep contacts in sync.

For years my wife and I have shared the same iCloud account without a problem, but now that we both apple watches we need to setup separate iCloud accounts in order for digital touch to work, as well as being able to make calls from my watch (the watch phone calls work via facetime, so I get "could not connect" message from my watch if I try to call someone with an iPhone).

I know that with family sharing I can share almost everything, but one of the main things we share is contacts. Is there a way to have two accounts but have the contacts synced still?

qwerty2k

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
I used to be a subscriber to mobile me and as a result have a @me.com address. I also have an iTunes account which is registered to my gmail.com account. Essentially all purchases have been made through the gmail.com apple account but i use the email on the @me (well now @icloud account).

i want to once and for all sort of merge all this into one account sort of as I'm sick of my photos and other stuff not being sync'd between my laptop and iPhone due to logging in with different accounts.

Is the best thing to do as my purchases were made on the gmail account to make all my devices use that iCloud account and then manually set up mail for my iCloud account afterwards? Will that delete any photos that are say on my iPhone but sync'd to the other iCloud account or will they all just then get uploaded to the 'new' iCloud account?

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
This is driving me mad.

I have an iCloud account which is a continuation of my paid-for MobileMe and before that, iTools accounts. That's my main Apple ID.

However, all my purchases are on another account -- let's call that my Store account.

My wife has the exact same arrangement.

Apparently, for us to use Family Sharing to get a Family Apple Music account, we need to set up Family Sharing between the two 'iCloud' accounts and also add our Store-only accounts as family members. So for us two people to share, we have to use four slots in the Family Sharing system.

Please, Apple, let us merge Apple IDs, for crying out loud!

[EDIT:] Also, why on earth do all purchases have to go through one person's card? My wife and I are grown ups who want to pay for our own purchases. What she buys on the App Store and iTunes Store is no business of mine, yet one of us has to be the 'designated adult' for payments' sake. Ridiculous.

Reactions: iMerik

load97

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2012
Washington
This is driving me mad.

I have an iCloud account which is a continuation of my paid-for MobileMe and before that, iTools accounts. That's my main Apple ID.

However, all my purchases are on another account -- let's call that my Store account.

Apparently, for us to use Family Sharing to get a Family Apple Music account, we need to set up Family Sharing between the two 'iCloud' accounts and also add our Store-only accounts as family members. So for us two people to share, we have to use four slots in the Family Sharing system.

[EDIT:] Also, why on earth do all purchases have to go through one person's card? My wife and I are grown ups who want to pay for our own purchases. What she buys on the App Store and iTunes Store is no business of mine, yet one of us has to be the 'designated adult' for payments' sake. Ridiculous.

My wife and I are in the same boat as well. It sucks.

Reactions: iMerik

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
This is driving me mad.

My wife and I are in the same boat as well. It sucks.
I too am in the same boat but with my wife and my parents. We all wanted to share Apple Music, but now I am forced to pay for everyone's app purchases and iCloud paid tiers.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I think your question was rhetorical but the reason is to use the card as the common identifier for each account. The family has to be common in at least one place at least to be a family and with everything else being different it was the one place to be the same. In my case, it works out but its not a fit for everyone.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
This is driving me mad.

Are you able to pay for purchases, Apple Music subscription, iCloud storage with iTunes gift card credit as the head of the family sharing? I'm frustrated that my Apple Music family plan skips my itunes credit and charges to my stored credit card.

JayX

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2007
Think it makes sense for my query to go here rather than make a new topic.

I'm a UK guy who goes back and forth between UK and US quite a bit. I have a US iTMS account that I made years ago on my spam email address that never had any payment details added to it and I'd rather dump it. As my main UK iTMS account is on an email for a domain I use (as I made it prior to iCloud), my iCloud email address isn't used for a store at the moment.

If I log into it on iTunes and change country, Apple naturally want some payment details including a billing address. Most US companies are fine with me using my legit CC and putting a US address I have legit access to, even if it's not one the card is registered to, but iTMS declined it. PayPal naturally did the same.

I noticed underneath that I could redeem an iTunes gift card. I was wondering, if I bought a $20 GC online and put this in the box, would this alleviate the need for me to put a card/billing info in? If not, would a prepaid debit card be enough? I don't think they register the card to an address so I'm not sure if the lookup is done in that case.

Thanks

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
Are you able to pay for purchases, Apple Music subscription, iCloud storage with iTunes gift card credit as the head of the family sharing? I'm frustrated that my Apple Music family plan skips my itunes credit and charges to my stored credit card.
This seems to work for us, my kids get iTunes cards and it shows up as iTunes credit instead of credit card when they make purchases.

Only think I cannot figure out is how to add iCloud storage to my family members (eg. the 99 cent plan) using the shared credit card - seems to need their own payment method and also will not work with iTunes gift cards.

musicelect

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
TL;DR go here to change your old @mac.com Apple ID.

I'm reviving this old thread because for the first time in many years I was able to change my Apple ID and I hope it might help someone else. This might not sound like a big deal, but I was previously unable to do so, even after reaching upper level Apple support employees. I was unable to change it to a functioning email and this prevented my use of some services. It seems Apple recently made a change to their iCloud system to allow legacy accounts like mine to be updated.

My previous Apple ID was an old username@mac.com account. I don't know if @mac.com was the first account extension they had (the history is here), but it was the only type account I could get for free circa 2005. Apple charged for email accounts back then, so I got the free account and used it for the past x number of years for App purchases and whatnot. More recently I realized I needed an Apple ID at which I could receive emails in order to do some things like Apple Developer stuff. There was never an option in the iCloud settings to do this. Apple Techs were unable to help me either. They recommended that I just create a new account, but I didn't want to lose all of the apps and music that I had purchased over the years.

Seemingly out of nowhere Apple has changed their system to allow people like me with @mac.com accounts to change their Apple ID. Visit this help page and follow the instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202667#appleaddress

Reactions: iMerik and jent

syeetie

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2018
Thanks for this awesome guide.:p
Are you a games lover? if you are, you must know about the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One. The Xbox One can support HD video games playing.

Last edited:

heath_durbin

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
dotmac -> MobileMe -> iCloud?

Great thread. I hope you can help because I am thoroughly confused.

I was on dot mac so I have a name@mac.com account.

I went to MobileMe and so I have a name@me.com account. I changed everything to use me.com and have worked that way for years.

Since updating to iOS 5, my mobileme account for mail, contacts, calendars, etc, has been forced back to name@mac.com. If I send an e-mail it says from name@mac.com. I cannot send from me.com anymore (which I was doing fine until iOS 5).

When I login to iTunes I use me.com. On an iOS device in the Store settings it says my appleid is name@me.com BUT... if I go to the apple website for apple ids, it says my appleid is name@mac.com and it won't let me change it.

I have not done the move to iCloud yet because I have no idea what it will do anymore regarding these names/ids.

Both my phone and pad have now been forced to name@mac.com for my MobileMe account.

Can someone explain all this please?
That sucks... I wish I had a @Mac and @me account...but I refused to pay back then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.