appleinsider.com says 10.4.2 update will bring improved.....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by simie, Jun 3, 2005.

1. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Mac OS X 10.4.2 update to patch dozens of Tiger glitches

By Kasper Jade
    Published: 04:00 PM EST
    The second update to Apple's Tiger operating system will continue to focus on stability and reliability, delivering dozens of bug fixes to the month-old operating system.

Advertisement

The first pre-released builds of the software -- Mac OS X 10.4.2 -- began to surface on the internet over the Memorial Day weekend, according to several published reports. The most prominent build appears to be Mac OS X 10.4.2 build 8C21, which reportedly weighs in at just over 43MB in Combo Update form.

Along with the software, Apple is rumored to have asked developers to focus their testing efforts on nearly four-dozen components of the Tiger system. Some of these areas include: Automator, AddressBook, AppleScript, Dashboard Widgets, Directory Services, Display Preferences, File Manager, Graphics, iCal, iWork, JavaScript, Navigation Services dialog boxes, Printing, Safari, Spotlight, Sync Services, and iChat video conferencing.

Mac OS X 10.4.2 also appears to place an emphasis on improving Tiger's Mail application and Networking capabilities. Apple is said to have fixed glitches between Mail and Automator and further asked developers to test Mail scripting, attachments and iMAP-based e-mail functions.

On the subject of networking, Mac OS X 10.4.2 is expected to deliver enhancements to general system networking, NFS, NSL DS, Net SNMP, AirPort and ethernet networking. The release should also pack a fix to iChat 3.0, which has presented some users with insufficient bandwidth issues.

Already sources say the current build of Mac OS X 10.4.2 includes well over two-dozen new bug fixes to Tiger, in addition to those delivered in the mid-May release of Mac OS X 10.4.1. Some of these fixes pertain to new user accounts not showing up properly in the system, issues with smartcards not functioning in certain situations, and blank media failing to mount.

Apple is also reportedly working on a fix for users who saw their modems crippled by the release of Tiger. Meanwhile, several additional fixes target .Mac notification, iDisk functionality, Weather widget crashes, and video conferencing frame rates.

It's believed that Tiger users will be able to apply Mac OS X 10.4.2 to either Mac OS X 10.4 or Mac OS X 10.4.1.

Sources have previously stated that maintenance release is slated for a released within the next 45 days.

Apple last updated Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger on May 16th with the release of Mac OS X 10.4.1 -- just two weeks after Tiger went on sale.

source from

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1100

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Here's a Tiger bug I want fixed: It crashes too often. :mad:

I had to do 2 hard resets TODAY!!, one because the iPod wouldn't unmount, and my iPod said not to unplug it even though I pressed the unmount button. Since the iPod wasn't making any HD noises and didn't seem to be communicating with my Powerbook at all, I unplugged the cord. Everything still worked, except things began slowing down quickly, and then iTunes stopped working, and then everything stopped working.

The 2nd time, no applications worked. It started with the Dock not working, and then I tried to open apps without the Dock (Finder wasn't working either), meaning I went to Apple>System Prefs, but that gave me an error. :rolleyes:

Tiger is too buggy right now, and for 10.5, I'll wait until 10.5.2 to be released before I adopt it.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's weird Abstract, I had way more trouble disconnecting iPods in Panther than I do in Tiger. It gets disconnected first time, every time now. :)

4. qzak macrumors 6502

hrmm.. so far only 2 replies to this thread, but if this was about a Microsoft OS why do i get the feeling this thread would be pages long by now about how they rushed the product out the door and messed it up, etc.

i dunno, i've just had my first mac (powerbook) for a few months now, and i still run my windows desktop 24/7 too, i like them both. just notice double standards i guess...

when i first saw this on think secret i was real suprised, but i dunno is this what usually happens with OS X?

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well I'm just comparing to Panther 10.3.8/9

That was perfect. I only wanted to upgrade to follow the herd. :p I also wanted Dashboard and Spotlight. Great features thus far!

However, that 2nd crash was for no reason. I don't see what went wrong. Right now things are fine again, but I already did an Archive and Install last week, and now I'm having trouble again. I may do a FULL erase and clean install if things get turned upside down again. :(

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Fair enough. The double standards thing is true to an extent but remember, generally people only really post about the problems with Tiger so we rarely hear about people who've had no trouble. In other words, it's not necessarily as bad an OS as a MacRumors reader might think.

7. qzak macrumors 6502

yeah, i mean i like tiger, i've used my powerbook the majority of the time instead of my windows pc since i got my powerbook. but as someone who likes both Windows and OS X, i was just pointing out that something. and i know Windows fanatics do the same thing about OS X, i'm not hating either side, just throwing it out there.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's really not that much different than with Panther. They were tired and just wanted to get the thing released. Then, they quickly made changes. Still, it's far ahead of where Panther was, at least, for me. Things don't run smoothly but they run okay. That's the important thing for me. Once they get the performance smoothed out, Tiger will be awesome.

Hopefully, this next update with help with the bugs, but I don't expect until 10.4.4 that the system will seem polished.

9. skp574 macrumors 6502

Tiger's fine on my iMac G5 Rev. B

I bought a Rev. B iMac G5 recently with Tiger preinstalled and have not had any serious problems with it.

Only since upgrading to iTunes 4.8 have I had any application crashes. But having said that it does it on my PowerBook with is still running 10.3.9. So it can't be OS version related.

Then again, I don't use my iMac as much as my PowerBook. The iMac is at home, doing the iTunes, iPhoto thang. My PB is out on the road, which is were most of the hardcore stuff is done. That is why I am reluctant to upgrade it at this stage.

My PB is rock solid (except when XP crashes inside VPC, which is to be expected :p ).

I am a strong believer of "if is ain't broke, don't fix it".

I don't really miss Tiger. I don't use Spotlight (I know where I put my files). Dashboard is nice but not a necessity. The reason I bought a Mac was for its stability and user friendliness.

10. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Actually, it is a very good thing to hear from apple again. Not three months have passed, and 10.4.2 is being developed.

To tell the truth, Tiger is flawless on my machine. But I would like Quartz 2D Extreme to be activated in this version of the os.

11. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Abstract, if you're saying that your iPod says 'do not disconnect' even though it's not on your desktop anymore - I'm seeing this sporadically as well. What's worked for me, though, is to restart iTunes (not in the 'HUP' *nix sense, but just turning it off and then starting it again). This "remounts" the iPod (which I am guessing never really dismounted, even though it's gone from /Volumes); then I am able to dismount it successsfully and unplug it.

12. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I'm looking forward to the iChat fixes. Today I tried to start an audio chat only to be given the "insufficient bandwidth" message. Then tried a video chat instead, worked perfectly :rolleyes: :p

The problem seems more prevalent when iChatting between Tiger and Panther.

13. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Yeah, me too.

I make a lot of international calls, which in the past I used iChat to save money.

Since this bug in Tiger, I have had to use a regular phone line. Tiger cost me about a grand now. :-(

14. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

It's a bugger but in the mean time you could check out Skype. Luckily I've got an iBook which I haven't upgraded to Tiger yet to make my iChat calls on, otherwise I'd be up the creek as well.

15. admanimal macrumors 68040

A thinksecret story from today predicts that 10.4.2 will be out next week.

link to thinksecret

16. jtt macrumors regular

What about Quicktime!? I have dozens of .avi files that I have been waitng to convert. now i've got my new G5 and can't do anything with them :confused: