AppleInsider: MEROM MACBOOK PRO'S AROUND SEPTEMBER 5th

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hyperpasta, Aug 14, 2006.

1. hyperpasta macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

Sorry for the all-caps, but I think the subject justifies them.

Full Article.

I think we can assume this is true, given AppleInsider's insanely great track record - flawlessly predicting the mac pro's dual optical drives, all XEON processors, and unchanged case for instance.

In addition, they also put new iPod nanos as coming out in September as well... possibly around the 16th.

2. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Hoooray! Maybe all the "When is Merom coming out?" "Should I wait for Merom?" etc. threads will stop now. :rolleyes:

3. ksz macrumors 68000

Merom in MBPs makes sense, but I'm not sure the iPod nano will be end-of-lifed so quickly. Bumped up in specs perhaps, but probably not retired altogether.

4. hyperpasta thread starter macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

End-Of-Life is something told to retailers. It means "get rid of these, these exact models will be outdated soon", not "No more iPod nano".

I'm personally expecting a mini-esque design and a capacity bump.

5. 50548 Guest

Good to know...now if Apple could just launch a 12/13" MBP or even an improved 13" MB (with dedicated GPU and perhaps a backlit keyboard), I would be glad to spend some Swiss Francs on a new notebook..!

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Sweet. I can wait till September 5th. It would be a nice birthday present to myself. :)

7. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Whatever you do Apple, don't leave the Mini with the Yonah Core Solo it has now.

8. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

No sorry. There will be more.

When is the question?

Tomorrow in MBP [please]? Or is that too early?

9. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

I wouldn't get my hopes up for anytyhing other than iPod updates.
    Pretty sure this is iPod related.

10. ryanx27 macrumors member

Next Tuesday, as always! ;)

11. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

This is exciting! It's hardly a rumor anymore! I still remember waiting for new PowerBooks... and now we have 64–bit dual–core CPUs. *cries* I love Intel!

12. tonyl macrumors 6502

13. ebuc macrumors regular

"massive air-freight shipments"...MAFS next Tuesday...That way its a bit more vague, since we don't know which machine Apple will update

(Really, though, we all know it will be the MacBook Pros. It better be.)

14. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

Grrr...

Sheesh. So glad I upgraded to my 1.67 PB to the 17" MBP. Although I love the speed bump between the 2, I cant imagine a 64 bit MPB. For now I think I'll just have to keep the one I have (until photoshop goes native at least) however, If they change the case- I may have to cry. :(

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I want my Conroe iMac!

I'll even be happy with Merom...just give it to me before the free iPod deal expires :(

16. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I'm anxious to see if they end up in the iMac.

17. MikeNemat macrumors regular

There has been sporadic reports around the 'net and also on the macrumors forums of macbook pros going on 5-7 day delays at the apple store and out of stock at retail stores.

I smell a tuesday morning product update :D

18. vanzskater272 macrumors regular

19. guzhogi macrumors 68020

guzhogi

If MBs got a dedicated GPU & backlit keyboard, what would be the difference between that and an MBP other than a superdrive, Firewire 800 and an Express Card slot? IMO, that's not enough of a difference for me.

20. ryanx27 macrumors member

God, I hope so. Student loan money is hittin' soon, and will be burning a hole in my pocket (that is, the painfully finite chunk of it that won't be ear marked for law school tuition, books, rent, and food :( ).

But besides the back-to-schoolers, I think so many people are following the Meroms-in-Macs story intently because if Apple goes "live" with Meroms soon, it's going to signal that "milestone" shift for Apple that people have predicted ever since the switch to Intel was announced -- a competetive, responsive, and regular update/upgrade cycle for Macs that keeps time with the PC market (and, by proxy, will probably offer a greater array of choices for Mac buyers as well).

Here's to hoping that Apple makes "all the right moves," and wins much more market share by doing so!

21. LittleJ09 macrumors newbie

I thought "Core 2 Duo" was intended to be a desktop chip, and "Core Duo" was the laptop version.

If this is not the case, what was the point of the "Core Duo" ?

22. Di9it8 macrumors regular

MacBook Pros

It would make sense to improve the specs of the MacBook Pro, as at the moment it is the screen size and vram as the differences. Also what about the iPhone:rolleyes:

23. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Don't worry, they won't change the case. There's not even a chance. The Mac Pro is all the proof you need. Aluminum is perfect! :)

24. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Core 2 has 2 variations - laptop (merom) and desktop (Conroe) both are 64bit

Core Duo (Yonah) is the current one and is 32 bit.

The point of Core Duo (for Apple) was to get onto dual core Intel processors as fast as possible.

25. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Merom soon makes sense--in the Pro models and maybe iMac.

But Apple should certainly keep Yonah machines (Mini and MB) as well.

Yonah (even single-core Yonah) is already overkill power for some low-end users. So why make them pay for a pair of Merom cores?

Instead, let Yonah's price drop, and the bottom-end Mac models' price drop with it.