Appleinsider: new mac mini, sorta

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by berol, Apr 29, 2005.

1. berol macrumors member

"Mac mini SuperDrive Ultimate"
    1.42GHz G4 processor
    512MB of RAM
    Superdrive
    built-in Bluetooth
    AirPort wireless connectivity
    Mac OS X 10.4
    $873

If true, all Apple did was take an existing built-to-order combo, named it, and kept the same price. No hardware was upgraded.
    (edit: dead link) http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1045

2. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Ok, that's lame. They sell those at the apple store now. I bought the same one for my mother-in-law at the same price.

3. berol thread starter macrumors member

They're making it easier to buy loaded minis, or entice people towards them. I wish it had a better GPU, tho.

4. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

When I bought my Mini, that is what they called it. I told them I wanted the 1.42gHz machine with APE and BT and they said they only had the Ultimate Mini with the 512 RAM as well. So of course, I got that as well. Great machine, I love it. Hope they sell a ton more. Maybe people will think they are getting a bargain or something.

5. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Why don't they just sell a 1.67ghz with 1gb ram and 100gb 5400 HD for $999? I would buy that. These minis next year wil will be packed with goodies. This is the first run of minis and they just want to see if they will be a hit or not and since they are a HIT expect better specs shortly. DUAL CORE MINIS WITH RADEON 9700 Pro 128mb video cards please. :)

6. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

That's the machine I bought tonight at the Tiger launch. Saved $87 and it included a Tiger disk. :cool:

7. berol thread starter macrumors member

Appleinsider musta figured that out, cuz they removed the story. *erase thread*

8. berol thread starter macrumors member

Here's macosrumors' latest guess on mac minis, not necessarily all features being in the next version.

*1.42 & 1.67GHz G4's
    *256MB RAM on the motherboard, frees RAM slots for another 2GB
    *GeForce FX 5200 (or similar) 64MB
    *digital optical audio output
    *options: dual-layer Superdrive, future 108Mbps Airport Extreme
    *around mid-July
    http://www.macosrumors.com/20050429.php

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Just out of curiousity, was it pre-installed, did the disk come in the box (but Panther was pre-installed), did the store give you the disk separately, or do you mean the Up-To-Date $10 thing?

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Yeah I posted this info this past week here on MR:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=122000

11. sk8erboy macrumors regular

should we count on seeing a g5 mini before 2006?

12. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I would be surprised if a G5 is in a mini by WWDC of 2006. I think the G4 is powerful enough for the market it is aimed at and it should have enough life in it for 2 or 3 more upgrades. My guess for the next update is 1.33 and 1.5 Ghz, 5200 with 64 MB VRAM, 512 RAM (possibly 256 on motherboard and 256 in a slot giving it a higher RAM limit as berol said), optional Dual Layer burner, and APE and BT.

After that I think they'll go possibly ATI 9600 graphics card (hopefully 128 VRAM) and 1.5 and 1.67 Ghz processor. Then they might go to 1.67 and 1.8/1.9 Ghz with the G4 but they could put the G5 in by then at 1.8 and 2 Ghz.

Hopefully the Power Mac will be at 3 Ghz by then. :p ;)

13. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

With mine it had a Tiger "CPU drop-in kit" taped to the outside of the Mac mini's box. Basically it's the Tiger install DVD with the accompanying documentation sealed in a cellophane type sleeve. It was included at no additional charge to all that bought any new Mac last night. The actual system itself had Panther pre-installed, so I had to use the disc to upgrade it to Tiger once I got it home.

14. berol thread starter macrumors member

I'm expecting the move to G5's when switchers won't buy a mini without it and G5's run cooler/cheaper. That might not be until G6's are in powermacs.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That was a nice unadvertised bonus! :D