applemacdude banned?

Discussion in 'Community' started by CubaTBird, Sep 8, 2004.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

y was he banned? did he do somethin bad? he seemed to contibute a lot :eek:

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

We'll, he was begging for it... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: Basically, just one of the bad idea threads that went too far. ;)

3. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I'm sure it had something to do with his disregard for the marketplace rules as well, since his posts seem to have been deleted there.
    If you tout that you want to be banned or insist on joking about banning then most likely you are headed for guess what? a banning.

4. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

He's on a temporary 'vacation' from the boards for something he posted in a previous thread. His normal abilities (along with the others involved in the thread) will be returned Friday night, the details for which he's aware of.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

In the future, instead of posting a thread, just PM one of the mods. We'll let you know what happened.

Thanks,

D

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I always like to look to see why people got banned to make sure I don't do the same thing. I'm paranoid about stuff like that. Good to know he's coming back soon though.

7. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

How do you know when someone has been banned? Do you just need to come across their post and see banned under their name, or is there some central list of banned people that you check?

8. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Sometimes I just notice when someone hasn't been posting for a while, and unfortunately sometimes that means they were banned. I'm sure I should know this, but is there a list somewhere of things you can get banned for? :eek: I'd like to try avoiding that even though I'm sure I wouldn't do anything ban-worthy anyway.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Just casually noticing while reading a forum. So, yeah, when it says BANNED underneath. Sometimes it's obvious, sometimes not so much. Sometimes I'm just curious when I see that someone who doesn't seem so bad get banned. It's nice to know why so I don't make the same mistakes.

10. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I too take interest in why people are banned. Sometimes when I'm searching through old threads I will come across a member who had avatar status and was then banned. I really wonder what happened with those people. They must have done something pretty bad to get the mods that angry with them. By the time you have 500 posts I would think that you have established yourself as a valuable member of the MacRumors community, so to get banned after that must take a pretty serious offense.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Or an extremely annoying/troublesome MacRumors member that's used up all their 2nd and 3rd chances.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Speaking of which, there are 2 people that I just noticed got banned. But their recent posts must have been deleted, because I didn't see anything bad in the past couple. I'm a little obsessive-compulsive, so I have to apologize in advance, I'm not just being nosy. I don't want to bother the admins with something that isn't really my business (especially since I don't know who banned them), but I did want to ask if we at least get a warning if we do something stupid?

I try to follow the rules, but we all do stupid things. And if the 2 I'm thinking of got banned, any of us could.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Hmmm, how do people get warned? By PM or through a regular reply? I'd think it should be through PM, but I guess its hard to say.

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

never noticed he got banned, whats with blue&whiteman, i heard he pissed off DR. Q whats up with that?

15. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

People seem to disappear from the Members List when they're banned. This is all very mafiosa. I'm a little afraid.

16. mkaake macrumors 65816

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Just follow the rules and don't try and make a big deal out of something if you get warned. Warnings are usually through PMs, but not always.

There are only a very small number of members who have been banned that had over 500 posts. Most others are trolls, spammers and other assorted people who have registered specifically to post something offensive.

D

18. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I believe he made a personal attack against someone that was enough to be banworthy. He mentioned to me on AIM that he wouldn't be returning.

19. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

man, he was cool.

well apart from the trolling on my g4 cube related threads :rolleyes:

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

As well as warnings are sent to the members.

Personally I do try to watch when I think I might be touching "sacred" ground in responding to others. Though, I tend to think that if I would not mind my mother seeing what I wrote, I think I should be safe.

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

A couple of times I've posted things which could be interpreted as offensive, so I load them up with smilies to make sure that they're interpreted the non-offensive way :)

22. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

23. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

At least you know that tar works... ;p

You might try something else, or keep testing that tar.

Attached Files:

24. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Yea the tar works.. i think i like the "dancing" bananers more