Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmbooks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2005
California
I understand that if I were to buy a MBP now and within 14 dyas a newer model was released that I could return it for that newer model. Assuming I'd not yet opened the box, I would not be charged a restocking fee. My question is, does this policy apply to a new MBP that I am receiving as a replacement for one that Apple lost while being repaired (true)? In other words, if, after my replacement computer arrives next week (expected), and a C2D MPB is released the following week, can I replace for the updated model even though my original [now lost] MBP was a few months old? (BTW, I had/have Apple Care on it.)

Thanks

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
pmbooks said:
I understand that if I were to buy a MBP now and within 14 dyas a newer model was released that I could return it for that newer model. Assuming I'd not yet opened the box, I would not be charged a restocking fee. My question is, does this policy apply to a new MBP that I am receiving as a replacement for one that Apple lost while being repaired (true)? In other words, if, after my replacement computer arrives next week (expected), and a C2D MPB is released the following week, can I replace for the updated model even though my original [now lost] MBP was a few months old? (BTW, I had/have Apple Care on it.)

Thanks
Call apple directly. They'll be the ones to make the final call.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
No Way. I hope this is not the case. No offense but why would that be their policy. You bought a computer a few months ago. They accidently lost your computer and are replacing it with a brand new computer. Now if one comes out 2 weeks after you receive your brand new computer, you want to be able to get that one. You should be upset that they lost your computer but happy that you are getting a brand new one. I see where you are coming from (you will have a new unopened computer) however, you have to show a receipt and proof of purchase. Just be happy they made it right by sending you a new computer.

And I don't think there will be new mbp's in 2 weeks.

pmbooks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2005
California
I don't think it's a matter of my being happy they would correct their mistake; I'd expect no less of Apple. Would you argue that Apple would has no compelling reason to offer an updated model within those two weeks to a new customer? I would argue that it's in Apple's interest to treat their current and/or longtime customers with as much generosity as their new customers. 've been a Macuser for 20+ years, and yes, I have recent complaints (really very, very few problems over the past years, so I've been lucky); figure I'm finally getting my turn at a problem computer. I've heard instances of Apple upgrading and updating when they've really blown it (either on service or otherwise). Just thought I'd ask.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
pmbooks said:
I don't think it's a matter of my being happy they would correct their mistake; I'd expect no less of Apple. Would you argue that Apple would has no compelling reason to offer an updated model within those two weeks to a new customer? I would argue that it's in Apple's interest to treat their current and/or longtime customers with as much generosity as their new customers. 've been a Macuser for 20+ years, and yes, I have recent complaints (really very, very few problems over the past years, so I've been lucky); figure I'm finally getting my turn at a problem computer. I've heard instances of Apple upgrading and updating when they've really blown it (either on service or otherwise). Just thought I'd ask.

They're replacing the used computer you sent them with a new computer. That's all you're entitled to. They owe you nothing more, case closed, end of story.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
You could always not open your new MBP and then eBay it should the new ones come out. Unopened boxes on eBay do fairly well from what I've seen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.