Apple's 15" and 17" G4 PowerBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Macs R Us, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Here on My Mac(s) in my house in the USA!
    I'v wanted a PowerBook G4 with a backlight keyboard, but the High ends only do and its not a BTO option. Will Apple ever get a cheaper one with that, they should on all 15" since its a only a light and sensor... hum. For now I can wait.

2. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

It's one of those cool features that will probably only ever be on the high end models. It isn't a must-have feature for most people so including it in low to midrange models would not be such a great idea unless Apple could somehow integrate it at a very low cost. Buy a 15" PB if you can afford it or settle for a lesser Mac without the lighted keyboard if you can't.

3. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Your not missing out on anything. Yes, the backlite is an awsome loking feature to have. But it does get a little annoying when you try to type in the dark with it because the light from the keys matches the light from the screen causein gthe keys to become non readable. But the nice thing is that you could always turn the backlit feature off.

4. GroverDoc macrumors newbie

Backlit keyboard BTO 15

The backlit keyboard is a BTO option on the PB-15 1.33. It's not available on the 12" models.

5. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Yup, what he said.

I personally really enjoy the backlit keyboard. Not only can you show it off but it also is very useful for typing in the dark.

6. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

I find the backlit keyboard to be very useful for working in low-light conditions. You can adjust the brightness of it using a couple F-keys. I got it as a BTO option on my 1.33 PB15 and IMO, it's well worth the $62 (edu discount). It's the kind of thing where, if you're going to be blowing $2500 on a laptop, don't skimp on a $70 option that you "think" you might want. You can always turn the backlight off if it irritates you for some reason, but if you don't buy it to begin with, you'll always want/wonder.

7. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

I totally dig the backlit keyboard on my 17, dont see what i'd do without it sometimes

8. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I love backlit keyboard...
    I love my 17"...

I can't imagine life now without either.

9. Macs R Us thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried to have it a BTO on the 15' but there was no option, unless Apple is cutting that cool feature...

10. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

It should be the last two options in the Keyboard and Mac OS Language pull down selections.

11. Macs R Us thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey, thanks, it had a picture of a CD and it a was misleading. I'm still thinking about this or a 12" PowerBook with the Cram and Jam Deal. I'm getting a Airport extrem (w/ base) and Sound sticks/sub whalfer (or how ever its spelled:) ), iSight, Super Drive, etc... Loaded. I'm going all out on this system since it will be like over $2000