Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
MacMinute has full coverage... but key notes:

Apple sold 152,000 CRT-iMacs... and Anderson is quoted as saying "Log live the original iMac"... so they clearly see the demand and importance of a low-end CRT iMac in their product line.

Apple "hopes" their stores to be profitable by end of year.

220,000 Flat Panel iMac shipped so far... with still a backlog.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Originally posted by dukestreet
Looking good. It will be interesting to see what the stock does tomorrow after all the news.:D

Its up only around 25 cents in after hours trading. I'm not expecting a big move.

Matthew

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Taft
Its up only around 25 cents in after hours trading. I'm not expecting a big move.

But it closed the day up 37¢. Financials always have an effect on the stock, it acts as a start gun for people who have been sitting on the fence. With the recent change from 'hold' to 'strong buy' I mentioned on the other thread I expect Apple to have more activity tomorrow. Now which way, I can only hope up, but that's not a given.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i wish i were in the market to get into stocks... i guess it's easy to say that not having any cash invested, but i guess apple is the kind of company that makes you want to own their stock based on the company, rather than the profitablity... some people at least.

ahh well, in a few years perhaps.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
I understand what you are saying, jelloshotsrule. I was pretty tempted to buy a few shares of Apple stock when it sunk down to around $15. While $26 isn't anywhere close to $70 where it was a few years ago, that is the best rate it has reached in quite awhile. It was around $25 just before the July 2001 MacWorld, but then sunk pretty quickly after that.

But it is great news to read that Apple has once again posted a profitable quarter, and even better than last quarter. I wasn't sure if Apple was going to be hugely successful this quarter since some of the new iMacs hadn't come out yet, but things are still looking good.

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
a good time to buy is just couple of months before MW (any), and sell them just a couple of days before the actual event.
Before MW it goes up (MWSF it was close to 27-28 if i'm not mistaken)
After MW, stock always goes down a bit
(and went down to around 23-24)

But the bigger picture is:
it has been going up constantly last year and a half.
If it goes up dramatically in short periode, it can go down equally.
(certainly tech shares get overrated easely)

Growing slow like Apple's doing, is certainly advantageous for all who have shares, because Apple is really building a solid share for the future.
(not creating that sort of hollow effect by blowing up in short period of time. explode=implode right?)

I would like to have some Apple shares (snik)

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
For a bigger bost in apples sales they need to update their ti-books
cause alot of people are looking for an update

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
i wish i were in the market to get into stocks... i guess it's easy to say that not having any cash invested, but i guess apple is the kind of company that makes you want to own their stock based on the company, rather than the profitablity... some people at least.

ahh well, in a few years perhaps.

apple stock will bounce back...if you have stocks, do it for the long term if you want to come out ahead

so what if the dot.com revolution, which is slowly gaining some momentum, will take ten of fifteen years this time...at least it will be more stable than it's former two year ride to the top of the rollercoaster

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by mac15
For a bigger bost in apples sales they need to update their ti-books
cause alot of people are looking for an update

I don't about that. True it would boost some sales, but updated iBooks would get more sales. Also, they need to get some new towers out. LOTS of people are holding out for them...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
# 40% of system sales at Apple retail stores went to non-Mac users

Yes that is interesting. Could it mean that Apple might go up to 6% market share? That would definitely help things.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
And Wall Street takes in all the info and the results as of 12:30 PM, 4.18.02

aapl stock -0.90

now down to 25.21

figures

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by eyelikeart

why am I not surprised... :rolleyes:

Yeah, but give it a few days, my guess it will continue to climb. If one more financial consultant comes forward and says Apple is a 'strong buy' could change things. See what happens by tomorrow anyway.

A lot of stocks were affected by the plane crash in Milan that was thought to be another terrorist attack, but ended up being an accident.

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
still overpriced

apple's net income actually went down when compared to last year's same quarter results. my evaluation of their share price puts it at around $20/share based on net profits plus premiums added for their loyal customers, their stance as an industry leader and the fact they have a BOATLOAD of cash reserves.

at $20.00 there is still room for upward movement based upon new developments-right now, all that speculation is "priced in". since apple doesn't pay dividends, the only way you'll make $ on the stock is if it increases in price.

everyone has different investment strategies but i don't think buying individual stocks plays well for the long term- you're much better off with a diversified fund that has apple as a key element. if apple was so secure about their computers being the key to long-term success, why would they be buying up other companies and diversifying themselves?

the world is evolving at an amazing pace-companies will come and go at an equally amazing pace. for example, xerox is talking about closing down! the company's name is synonymous with the act of making a copy......:eek:

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Don't expect Apple's stock to skyrocket any time soon... unless they come out with a G5 that tops even Pentium's upcoming offerings... and we all know how likely that's going to happen... :rolleyes:

Forever pessimistic, yes.

pkradd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2001
Apple stock was down in after hours trading. Historically, the stock always seems to go down after quarterly announcements and MacWorlds... no matter whether there's good news or bad. As of this post, the stock is down 86 cents. Typical sell-off of tech stocks. By the way, the stock market generally could care less about G5s vs. G4s. It all has to do with sales, profits, marketshare, etc. Apple stock is up substancially since the beginning of the calendar year, well above other computer companies (with the possible exception of Dell).

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by pkradd
By the way, the stock market generally could care less about G5s vs. G4s. It all has to do with sales, profits, marketshare, etc.

Since we, the consumers, are the ones who want the G5's and are the ones who are going to be shelling out the money to Apple, there's your sales and profit right there. The bigger and better the computer, the more people will want to upgrade. I was just skipping the obvious in-between step in that picture.

pkradd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2001
"We the consumers". Do you speak for all of them? All kidding aside, Apple will sell more G4 iMacs this year then any other model. Only Apple "whinners" as I call them constantly ask for more and more. The company is well set for the upcoming 2 quarters and unlike its competition will make higher profit margins. Apple will never be the prime choice of the masses, that was decided years ago. They are a niche player... one that can double or triple market share in the next two years. That will be fine for us stockholders.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Originally posted by pkradd
Only Apple "whinners" as I call them constantly ask for more and more. They are a niche player... one that can double or triple market share in the next two years. That will be fine for us stockholders.

So, if Apple "whinners" are the one's asking for more and more from their computers, then what do you call the Apple stockholders like yourself who want the company to keep making the same exact computer with the same exact specs year in and year out?

You must have owned Enron stock because that's got to be the silliest thing I've ever heard.

The reason Apple is where it is is because it innovates. Its innovation led to market advances and eventually a very strong following.

If Apple stops innovating and rests on its laurels, thus ignoring the so called Apple Whinners, then it will go the way of the Dodo and Enron.

Geez...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.