Apple's "3 Repairs" Policy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tehdee, Oct 13, 2006.

1. tehdee macrumors member

hello all,

somewhere i heard that if a apple computer is serviced three times within the first year of ownership, then a replacement model would be given on the third repair.

can anyone confirm this? if so, do they give a CURRENT model, or your same model refurbished?

should i 'time' my third repair for when the new MBP's come out?

best,

ted.

2. Dubba macrumors regular

Ted,

I have heard two different versions of the "officialy policy" of AppleCare, which I think applies in the 1-year warranty, as well as an additional 2-year window if you bought AppleCare (for a total of 3 years): 1) the third time a computer goes in for repair, it is replaced; and 2) a computer is replaced on the fourth repair.

In both my experiences (2 - once a 14.1" iBook nad most recently a 12" PowerBook), the computers were both replaced when they required their 3rd service. For the iBook, I was told that it was policy to replace it on the 3rd service (all three times there were Logic Board problems). For the PowerBook, they told me that they were making an exception as they only replace AFTER the 3rd service.

As for replacements, I got a like-for-like iBook replacement, whereas for my PowerBook, as the 12" is no longer available, they are sending me a base model 15" MacBook Pro (which I should hopefully get next week).

Hope this helps.

3. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

does it have to be the same problem for them to replace the unit?

4. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

My MacBook I sent it in 3 times and they werent major issues mainly cosemetics and they replaced it. Now on my MacBookPro another bag i tricks ive sent it in i would say at least 4 times i think maybe even 5 and they keep fixing problems here and there. And the last send in was because of a werid sound it was making i sent it in they held it for a week fixed it came back. And ive had it for a week now and its starting to make the sound again. I think im gonna wait a few days and see how its going then call up good ole apple care cause this is getting rediculous.

5. Dubba macrumors regular

bearbo - as far as I know, no. On my iBook, it was the Logic Board all three times; on my PowerBook, it was the Logic Board twice and the optical drive mos recently.

6. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

yeah i hear you guys. good to know this stuff.

I have a powerbook, but upgrading to macbook pro soon. when new model is out.

thanks

7. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

They should do it for any mix of issues, but remember that you have to ask for it...

8. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Apparently, it doesn't appy to everything because I've had an iBook G3 repaired five times and never received a replacement. The repairs were all for the logic board. I was always told it was their policy to continue to repair the product.

9. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

It doesn't really matter what Apple's policy is, check your state's Lemon Law statutes...often times if a piece of hardware isn't fixed for the same issue after 3 repairs, it is required by law to be replaced.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

It's not so hard and fast as "three repairs and you get a replacement." If they can fix it more than 3 times without replacing it, and you don't ask for a replacement, I'm sure they will keep repairing instead. OTOH, if the first failure is a major meltdown, they may replace it right then, especially if you bought it recently (I got a new MB when my first one had the dreaded random shut-down issue, and it was my first time needing service).

Really, it depends on what you ask for and who you're dealing with.

11. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I don't really think it would be appropriate for you to speculate on these kind of things.

There is no guarantee regarding this.

12. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Sure there's no guarantee regarding this but there's no reason not to discuss this. Its best that we all know about it. I'm sure there will be some people looking through these forums to whom this will be of benefit.

13. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

It would actually depend on the state your in. What you are refferring to is the Lemon Law. Applecare like every extended or standard warranty will actually in fact vary by state. You can easily look it all up. For example I live in NJ where the Lemon Law is in fact a law. I do work in PA where in fact it is not. Then you have the total extreme where in FLorida it is even illegal to sell AppleCare on units. So you need to check the laws or policies for your state. Asking here may not get you far as everyone may have a different answer which all may be correct where they live.

Kevin

14. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

After 3 repairs they should replace it anyway....

15. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Depends on where you live and on the law. "Lemon laws" in most states refer only to automobiles. That doesn't preclude other legislation with the same effect for consumer products, but you get no protection from "lemon laws."

California lemon law is one of the few that expand the definition to anything mechanical (but not all electronics are mechanical, and this has been a sticking point in at least a few cases). Other states have different sets of consumer protections with varying names. Also note that for almost all of these laws, your possession must have been serviced three times for the same defect/failure.

16. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Hence, why I said CHECK YOUR STATE regarding these issues...I never said it was universal. In addition, "lemon laws" (may not be referred to as "lemon law," but carry same effect) do often apply to consumer products, as legislated certain parts of the UCC.

17. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

I didn't say you claimed it was universal. I was merely elaborating on your comment.

Your second sentence is a restatement.

18. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Actually the second sentence was not a restatement, but a different idea entirely. The first sentence regarded lemon laws not being universal across all states. Second was a response to your comment that it only applied to automobiles, further stipulating that according to the UCC, it also can apply to consumer products. Two different ideas. Don't argue with me, I'm a law student :D

19. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

I meant a restatement of my post. I mentioned that consumer protection laws might cover your repairs or afford similar rights, but if you were to go to any of the attorneys general in most of the 50 states and try looking up "lemon laws," you'd find results for automobiles and automobiles alone.

You also may want to consider that there are at least a few lawyers on MR, not just law students ;).

20. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Really? Where did you attend? Just interested...

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Ted, are you asking if you should time the date your MBP breaks so you can get a new one at no additional expense to you? If so yes, in the meantime why not let us know if we can help you find ways to manipulate and abuse another system to your personal benefit. I'm sure this game can get fun.

22. nitynate macrumors 6502a

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Not hardly. We don't have a monopoly on stupidity or ass-hattery.

24. generik macrumors 601

generik

Deceit is a evolved trait, humans who do not keep up evolutionary-wise will starve and grow extinct :rolleyes:

25. bimmerkid macrumors newbie

bimmerkid

Apple does have the three repair policy in all states. It will replace the computer with the latest revision of the model. It will be the exact same configuration and processor that was sent in. They will not do an upgrade unless the model is no longer available. Lets say you have a looper (Apple terminology for a product that has a repetitive problem after repairs) Powerbook that needs to be replaced Apple will offer an upgrade option to the MacBook Pro but will be charged the difference between the original purchase price of the powerbook and the macbook pro. They'll even do the replacement at the apple store if there arnt any customized option besides ram. Apple stands behind there products. Unfortunately they seemed to rush a lot of them to the shelves. LONG LIVE APPLE!

(lol :p )