Apple's 3rd Party iPhone Application Plan?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 4, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

9to5mac suggests that Apple has already lined up specific development partners for 3rd party applications on the iPhone. EA is reportedly porting their existing iPod games over to the iPhone, with "other big developers" also on board.

9to5mac expects Apple to adopt an application model from T-Mobile's Sidekick, in which developers submit applications for review and approval.
    The site also suggests that Apple will continue to thwart efforts for user-installation of 3rd party apps to reduce piracy concerns.

Article Link

2. macrumors 65816

amac4me

This would be good news

3. macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

Thats what I think they should do.

Who agrees?

4. macrumors 6502

That model makes some sense to me. At least there's a certification process to insure that apps are stable. It seems to me that Apple has always stated they want to insure a smooth and consistent operating environment. Nothing worse than having a phone crash on you when you're trying to make a phone call. I've had that happen many times when I had my Windows Mobile and Palm-based phones.

--DotComCTO

5. macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Specific partners is at least the first step.

6. macrumors regular

mmzplanet

iTunes Application store for iPhone.... not bad

Although that is beginning to clutter iTunes a bit...

Music
    Movies
    TV Shows
    Games
    Ringtones
    now maybe... Apps

7. macrumors regular

kbrain2929

Ok... between this and the Leopard rumors... October seems to be a GREAT month for us Apple Junkies! :apple:

8. macrumors regular

mmzplanet

Forget Leopard Rumors..... Leopard is about here!!!!

9. macrumors 68020

This is the way I always thought Apple would do it. Essentially its the same as the games console model. Absolutely fine IMO and would find the right balance between control and open.

10. macrumors 6502a

happydude

makes sense

a good way to control quality toward the iphone given apple's insistence on quality. still, kinda not liking purposely going after non-licensed 3rd party software just on principle . . .

11. macrumors 6502a

As someone who has had numerous PDAs and Smartphones I can vouch for the fact that 99% of thrid-party ware is crap. They tend to put their hooks into parts of the architecture that were not meant to be played with and inevitably would crash either programs or the whole PDA. At the least, the 3rd party programs would make the PDA unstable. I think the only programs I ever downloaded for my PDA's/ smartphones that worked like they should were games.
    I think that Apple is wise to adopt this strategy. Make the publishers send in the code to Apple for vetting then sell them through iTunes.

12. macrumors 6502

"The cost of application is added to the customer's monthly bill."

here we go...not a so good news

13. macrumors 65816

You know I don't know what to do. I'm supposed to hate Apple for walling off the iPhone platform and demanding certification for native applications, but bear-hug T-Mobile for being a stateside GSM network on which people could use unlocked iPhones. But now should I hate T-Mo for demanding like Apple certification for native apps on one of the mobile communications phones?

I'm so confused. Makes me want to go back to a rotary-dial Bakelite model plugged into the wall.

14. macrumors 68020

Erm, why?

15. macrumors 6502

You knew there would be--

-- a plan. SJ is nobody's fool.

I am happy with 3rd party apps that MUST come from Apple thru iTMS, for example, rather than being able to buy anyone's app and install yourself. Apps that have to have Apple's blessings, will work and will not crash the system. Also means ATT and Apple won't have to deal with "my phone doesn't work anymore" issues, thus wasting their time and resources. Let's hope it's something like this. Of course, there will be many who still won't like it and that's just a case of the iPhone is not for them. For now....

16. macrumors 65816

And what are the chances that this will come to the iPod touch as well...? Somehow I feel the iPod touch owners will be left out in the cold, since Apple doesn't want it to compete with the iPhone.

17. macrumors regular

I agree and disagree. I don't mind the model with the one exception is that I write a lot of Xcode/Cocoa applications for my own personal use. I would love to be able to put these on my own iPhone even if I didn't offer it to the world.

18. macrumors 6502a

This rumor makes me wonder if Apple forstalled third-party apps because of changes the iPhone software will undergo because of the Leopard release. Nobody wants to buy an app and then have it become useless because Apple updated the iphone software to sync with Leopard.
    Maybe there is an update to the iPhone OSX coming with the release of Leopard that will allow third-party apps.

19. macrumors demi-god

CWallace

I'm all for Apple "vetting" third-party applications for the iPhone (ala the "Certified for Windows" program MS Labs runs), but I would not be in favor of Apple refusing to vet third-party applications that pass all the necessary requirements, yet compete with their own stuff (such as ringtone installers).

20. macrumors 6502a

Thus undermining the entire point of this whole article/discussion.

21. macrumors newbie

As a sidekick 3 owner and huge Mac fan, i'm going to warn you all...you will regret the day that apple made this decision.

As a sidekick 3 owner, there were lots of 'wonderful' apps in our catalog. Let's take a quick look.

Excel viewer- Oh great, now i can look at excel files but not touch them in any way. Awesome.

Dating Boot camp- An ebook that tells me how to get women.

MPTAG- A program for editing id3 tags

PhotoTwist- a zany and totally crazy app that lets you add hilariously awesome effects to your pictures! Oh great!

Time traveler- A freaking alarm clock. That's right, we had to pay for something that should have been there in the first place.

The Cycle- An app that tells you when you shouldn't bust inside your girlfriend, when she's most fertile. Wow thanks guys.

AudioLab- let's me record 10 seconds of audio wihch i can then add lots of zany effects to. Hooray.

Showcase- Slide show creator for 6 dollars.

File manager- Want to access the file system on your sd card? Buy this for 10 dollars!

I'm warning you apple users, you will absolutely hate this arrangement. You will get a ton of useless apps, all in the name of stability, and nothing of what you actually want. Do bear in mind all of the above terrible apps usually cost around 4-10 dollars. Useless.

22. macrumors 68030

slughead

I love the apologist attitude. Apple's screening apps to make sure they don't provide functionality that Apple can profit on themselves. First and foremost, there's no way there will EVER be a native instant messaging client. This is because Apple and AT&T make profit on SMS messaging.

It has NOTHING to do with App stability or compatibility. I'm glad they don't 'screen' our apps for us on OS X, M$ office would never get through!

It's nice that they're allowing 3rd party development, but it's bad that they're restricting it. People pay a lot for these phones and even more for the service, they should be able to install whatever apps they want on THEIR phone. But, Apple has the right to attempt to stop them.

23. macrumors 603

Stella

So, Apple really want 3rd party native applications to be a revenue stream for them? No doubt they'll get a small commission on sales.

Why everything apple does have to be a revenue stream -
    * Want ring tones on your iPhone - pay
    * Want 3rd party native apps - pay

Apple are kicking themselves in the feet - no Freeware applications.

People got upset with Verizon for disabling BT file transfer so they had to use a data connection - so customers had to pay for the data usage. There is little difference between this and Apple's strategy.

Greed, Greed and more Greed.

Allowing 3rd party native apps is a step in the right direction, but this is flawed.

24. macrumors 6502a

So, Apple has final say as to what software is worthy enough to be considered an iPhone application and what software isn't?! Gee how freakin special is **that**

I guess this 3rd party plan would be of no value to open-source projects (where Apple can't make a dollar per download) and or niche products (such as home automation interfaces)... Not to mention Apple having the ability to weed out (axe) any software that it feels might get in the way of their plans (and/or the plans of a 'favorite son' 3rd party developer)....

Yea I could see Jobs really sinking his teeth into this idea... :(

D

25. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Also realize that Apple won't just let any app be available. They will only work with a few companies, and expect only high quality software.