Apple's 3x3 Product Grid

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by rice_web, Jul 29, 2002.

1. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

Well, remember the days of the good ol' 2x2 product matrix? They are long gone. However, I'm betting that we've moved to a 3x3 matrix, as the iBook diverges into two seperate lines, and a new Quad-G4 PowerMac is introduced.

Consumer
    - Classic iMac
    - eMac
    - FP iMac

Portable
    - iBook 12"
    - iBook 14"
    - PowerBook

Professional
    - PowerMac Dual
    - PowerMac Quad
    - Xserve

2. job macrumors 68040

job

Looks nice, but I thought there were plans to axe the old CRT iMac...

3. rice_web thread starter macrumors 6502a

rice_web

The CRT iMac has been a topic of much discussion on rumor sites. I think that at this point, it's just personal preference when rumor sites declare the CRT iMac dead or shout, "long live the CRT iMac."

I've got a feeling that with the 750FX, we'll be seeing quite a bit out of the ol' iMac.

EDIT: I bet they might change it's name, though.

4. job macrumors 68040

job

I bet Apple will keep the Classic iMac around until probably the end of the year, but I don't think that they will update it much. LCD prices are still too high for them to do away with it....:rolleyes:

I'd also be interested to see if Apple does lump the XServe into the Pro line-up.

I would have thought that the Pro line would include Single- and Dual CPU models with a possible quad.

5. rice_web thread starter macrumors 6502a

rice_web

As I've posted before, it just isn't worth it for Apple to continue single processor PowerMacs.

If they let the PowerMacs move to dual only, then the iMacs can receive the latest and greatest single processor configs, without hampering PowerMac sales.

6. job macrumors 68040

job

I have not read your other posts, but I was wondering if it would still be cost effective to only have DP Towers.

Otherwise the 3*3 grid looks sound. :)

7. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

if uve noticed, theyve downgraded the specs on the g3 imac, the 2 high end models had cd burner (a while back had dvd) now it just has cd rom, but more ram was added for the 2 high end models, i'm thinking that apple should cut off the imac, or just introduce (which WONT happen) a G4 classic imac (has more of an imac design) with a 17" monitor, G4 processor, etc, and diff color schemes most g3 imacs

8. rice_web thread starter macrumors 6502a

rice_web

Cost-effective? It depends on how you look at it.

I think that Apple would like more users to buy iMacs, as the display isn't upgradable (nor anything else), and thus forces iMac users to upgrade more often.

More people would buy the iMac if the PowerMacs were only offered in dual-processor and quad-processor configs.

At the same time, the extra cost of an extra processor means a higher price. This is good for Apple, as they can increase their margins (if not by percentage, at least slightly per sale).

Besides, dual only allows Apple to boast PowerMac 2600+ (1.3GHz twice), just like AMD does--well, sort of.

9. job macrumors 68040

job

eMac anyone? :rolleyes: :D

10. job macrumors 68040

job

Playing the obvious "Name Game." :D :D

11. rice_web thread starter macrumors 6502a

rice_web

Heh, whatever works. :cool:

12. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

the product matrix is dead

Apple hasn't made much deal out of the product matrix in a while. It was just a handy marketing thing when Apple was rebuilding and refocusing its efforts. Apple is a much stronger and diverse company now so I don't think they bother with boxing themselves into some 3x3 grid.

One major product that doesn't fit into the matrix is the iPod which should play a big role in their bottom line this year. If Apple does a decent job of marketing it, they could sell a ton (maybe a couple MIL) of those during the Xmas season.

13. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

err you wouldent be talking about the EMAC there would you.... i am pretty sure it has the classic imac design to a certain extent a 17 inch monitor g4 processor and a different color scheme....hummmmmmmmmm guess not its not the "imac"

14. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Re: the product matrix is dead

I'm worried that apple may be overextending itself too far, too fast. Remember the days of the Performas? (Performa 475, 575, 580, etc) Apple had so many models of macs that they were getting confused themselves and sales slipped because of that.

15. dwishbone macrumors regular

i had a 3x2 matrix

Consumer
    Desktop: iMac/eMac
    Portable: iBook
    Server: iPod

Professional
    Desktop: Q4 Quicksilver
    Portable: Titanium Powerbook
    Server: XServe

this seems to make more sense to me

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

then they should consider dropping a single PCI slot in one. i know a lot of people who need 1 slot (e.g. for the digi 001) but are forced to upgrade to powermacs, after expressing desire for an imac.

17. rice_web thread starter macrumors 6502a

rice_web

The iPod does not fit into the matrix....

Unless, Apple is going for a digital hub product line as well, which would give us a 4x3 matrix. However, the iPod is just an extra item (no matter how much money they make on it)

18. bobindashadows macrumors 6502

So... you want Apple to make eMacs with different colors? Not sure if it would be the best time to experiment with old marketing strategies, and personally, i think the eMac looks like crap and colors would make it much, much worse.

19. OKComputer macrumors 6502

ummmm...okay

I may not know a ton, but after reading forums for quite some time there are a few things i do know.....

first...just because you have a dual 1.3 ghz machine doesnt make it a 2600 mhz beast. it makes it a 1300 mhz beast with another 1300 mhz beast right beside to take the load off. Granted the computer does run faster with two...but not double the speed.

Anyway...this is a silly discussion....the regular imac is on the way out. I dont see quad processor powermacs being a solution to power hungry users at all. This is not a mathmatical equation for products. Apple is not a mathmatical company. they release products just like any other company.. when the time is right to make a profit. Grid or no grid.

crigey

20. bobindashadows macrumors 6502

iPod, server?! It's an MP3 player which also happens to have a hard drive. Consumers rarely use servers, I don't see why a consumer would need a server in the first place. If an average Joe needs more HD space he doens't buy a web server, he buys a big ole IDE drive or something along those lines. I agree with the above posters that they aren't trying to box themselves into a matrix... they have so many products, and they are really diverse, you can't forget stuff like Airport, while it isn't a computer, its just that I don't think they are going to restrict themselves to a matrix anymore.

21. Joshlew macrumors member

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

How about 4 500 MHZ G4 processors in a Flame red classic iMac?

Remember the SuperPET? It had a 6502, a 6809, and a Z80 so it could run practically anything. Maybe something like that would be better. Ummm, a G4, a 68040, and a 65816.

Whataya thinK?:D

23. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

I see the new PowerMacs becoming all-dual (to sepate them for the iMac), and the classic iMac dying sometime before the year's end. This would result in a product matrix that looks like this:

Consumer
    - eMac
    - FP iMac (15 & 17-inch)

Portable
    - iBook 12 (12 & 14-inch)
    - PowerBook

Professional
    - PowerMac Dual
    - Xserve

As for the iPod, I'm still hoping for an iTablet (InkWell), which would be priced higer for prosumers, resulting in:

Consumer Device:
    -iPod

Professional Device:
    -iTablet

Just my 2cents,
    Bill

24. eirik macrumors regular

market position

For a long, long time I've believed that Apple should dual processor all of the PowerMac's, significantly increasing CPU volume for Motorola (IBM?), save the bottom one. The bottom one would be for those users that want an open system to add things yet still fit within their budget.

Soon, I'd like Apple to make its top of the line iMac a dually. This should wait until LCD 19" and higher prices fall much more. The idea here is that Firewire obviates the need for cards to expand their systems. With entertainment apps similar to Tivo nearing launch and/or maturity. When you're running a Tivo-like app, a dually makes an awful lot of sense.

Also, as Apple gets more credible in the enterprise and introduces an audio/video IP conferencing solution, businesses may prefer a high-end iMac with duallies. Of course, Apple needs an M$ Exchange Server solution for the enterprise.

E

25. Sherman macrumors regular

You know, maybe apple should just browse around rumors forums like these and just see what the people want, after all, we are the customer and the customer is always right.

They're watching us...