Apple's 4.8-Inch iPhone 6 Reportedly Not Launching Until Mid-2014

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 13, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Amid circulating rumors of a larger display for the iPhone, Jefferies analyst Peter Misek today reported that he does not see the device launching until mid-2014. Misek argues that problems with display yield and substantial other changes for the iPhone 6 will make a 2013 launch unlikely. Some rumors had suggested that Apple might be able to launch an iPhone 5S and a lower-cost iPhone in mid-2013 and follow with a larger iPhone as soon as late this year.
    Misek first noted the existence of 4.8-inch iPhone prototypes in December, but last month indicated that he was seeing no further signs of the device. The larger iPhone appears to have now returned to his radar but with a longer time horizon than originally thought.

[​IMG]
    Overall, Misek sees his claimed television product event coming next month with the iPhone 5S and lower-cost iPhone following in the June/July timeframe. He does not see any iPad updates until the fall, when both the full-size iPad and the iPad mini would be updated around the same time as the launch of the Apple television set.

Misek's track record is, however, rather mixed with previous claims of an Apple competitor to Netflix not panning out and only being half correct about the iPhone coming to Sprint and T-Mobile in 2011.

Article Link: Apple's 4.8-Inch iPhone 6 Reportedly Not Launching Until Mid-2014

2. macrumors 68020

inkswamp

I wonder if analysts ever get cramps in their arms from throwing all this #$&*@ against the wall to see what sticks. :rolleyes:

3. macrumors regular

App processor? What is this? I don't even...

4. macrumors 6502

iPusch

I am curious about on-cell :confused:
    Hope we will get to hear something about that very soon

5. macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Releasing a separate giant iPhone would be one thing, but I sure hope it doesn't completely replaces the standard iPhone.

There would literally be no flagship smartphone on the market you could easily use single-handed. :eek:

Do great usability and high-end specs really have to be mutually exclusive?

6. macrumors 6502

Wow I am sure the Samsung Galaxy S Note SuperNova 5, that has an 8 inch screen and missile-firing capabilities, will be out by then :eek:

7. macrumors member

UHFrank

that's not suprising, just want an updated ios7

8. macrumors 6502

iPusch

I can't understand why they would jump to 4.8"
    4 generations on 3.5"
    and only two on 4" that would be very disappointing... :(
    Hope devs will keep on developing for 4" then

9. macrumors regular

I've long been tired of the "Apple better do X quickly or they'll miss the opportunity forever." (see: blu-ray, 3G for the iPhone, etc.)

So I won't go so far as to say, "THEY NEED A BIGGER SCREEN OR THE COMPANY WILL DIE."

But they need to do something. iOS is getting desperately long-in-tooth. Aside from a slightly longer screen, very little has changed about the hardware in 3+ years now. I'm not counting them out, but I starting to get a little antsy.

10. macrumors 68020

That or they tire out from shaking their magic 8 balls.

11. macrumors regular

I look at this guys product launches and have to question his accuracy. He expects an iTV event in March, followed by an iPhone 5S (big whoop) and that tides us over until the fall where we get revamped iPads?

That would be a very soft year for Apple. Not buying it at this point.

12. macrumors regular

Macrolido

All we need is a revamped iOS.

13. macrumors member

interesting that he has the iphone being moved back to the June product slot...

my question is, What product will be launched in the spring? -that used to be the ipads domain- but now that is up in the air.

14. macrumors 65816

Tankmaze

Smartphone screen size has hit a plateau.

Been discussing with friends who've been using android, the sweet spot from them is below 5 inch and above 4.2...

So apple could really take their time to develop bigger screen phone.

15. macrumors 65816

You know Ive is working on iOS and the new 'look' for it. Don't be surprised to see that as a 'big' release later this spring.

----------

4.6 is the sweet spot. Said that a while back. Apple should move up to that and no bigger.

16. macrumors 6502a

hmm launch of ios7 and iPhone 6 (4.8 inch screen) coincide with each other sounds about right

17. macrumors 65816

Agreed. iPhone 5s in spring, iPhone 6 (with 4.6" screen or bigger).

I think iPad Mini Retina comes in spring also.

18. macrumors 68020

Mlrollin91

I can honestly say if Apple comes out with 4.8" screen I will not be buying it. I've had every iPhone since the 3G and 4.8" is just too big. The iPhone 5 is a pretty decent size. I have no need for a mini iPad Mini. It's just too much.

19. macrumors 6502a

iPhone XL? iPad micro? :p

20. macrumors 65816

Thumbs will be longer in 2014

So with this on the heels of Apple's iPhone 5 logic, I can expect my thumb to be an inch or two longer in 2014???

:D:D:D

21. macrumors 6502

Eadfrith

iPhone and iPhone Mini

22. macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Might this be too late for the phablet game?

23. macrumors member

Wait, since a new version of iOS usually launches along side a new iPhone, maybe we'll see a sneak peak and a developer release during the rumored TV media even in March. Right?

24. macrumors 6502a

Em. Hasn't it always made sense that the iPhone 6 will come in 2014, instead of supposedly launching up to 3 different iPhones with multiple screen sizes (iPhone 5S, low-cost iPhone with possibly larger or smaller screen, and larger iPhone 6) this year?

25. macrumors 6502

I wonder who dreams up these comments...

"We think Apple plans to re-architect iOS to utilize more cores and better compete with Samsung."

iOS is already heavily multi-threaded as are most of the apps I write thanks to GCD making it brain dead simple.