Apple's 5th Avenue Store, Jobs Interview

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, May 20, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Steve Jobs was interviewed (video) by CNBC and offers some insight into Apple's retail push and their new 5th Avenue Apple Store.

Jobs commented on Apple's decision to choose Intel rather than AMD for their processor switch and provides a "no comment" on the possibility of an Apple iPhone.

Apple's 5th Avenue Store opened last night at 6pm EST and Apple.com has posted time-lapse video of the crowds yesterday and today as well as a photo gallery. One person used the time-lapse video to propose to his girlfriend.

Several readers have posted photo galleries of their visit to the newest Apple Store: Gallery 1, Gallery 2. Photos of Steve Jobs and Kevin Bacon.

2. macrumors 68000

sam10685

i hope we get more 32x32 foot glass cubes...

YES... first 'first post' ever for me!

3. macrumors regular

weazle1098

Very nice, Apple is a match maker of sorts now.

4. macrumors member

kskill

i'm pretty sad i didn't get to see jobs in person, but the store is AWESOME. The shirts they gave out were pretty cool too.
    check out my site, thekskill.com, for a video of my grand opening experience... complete with footage of kanye west, steven colbert, triumph, amy poehler, and random apple goodness.

5. macrumors 65816

rye9

The elevator in the background is what caught my attention. :p

6. macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Oh dear. If SJ had 'no comment' about an iPhone, it really may not be happening. We all know that if Apple is going to come out with a new product Steve flat out denies it, like iPod with video, selling television shows on iTMS, etc. :p

7. macrumors 68040

mduser63

I found the interviewers questions about Mac's only being available in Apple Stores weird. You can walk into any CompUSA and buy a Mac, and while they're not currently in Best Buy or Circuit City, they have been in the past, and very well could be in the future.

Anyway, that store sure looks cool. If I'm ever in NYC that will be something I'll be sure to visit.

8. macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

We got Macs at the Best Buys where I live.....

9. macrumors 6502

To me atleast it sounded as though the only reason jobs didn't discuss the iphone was because it hasn't been officially announced yet.

10. macrumors member

Well, I did see your :p , so I know you're not being entirely serious, but I think the "no comment" thing actually does bode well for the possibility of an Apple phone. The iPod w/video and the TV on iTMS were denied back when they were a long way off, but Steve eventually switched to being cagey about them. It made sense to deny a video-capable iPod at first because they didn't want people to hold off on buying what was out there thinking a video iPod was "just around the corner". But eventually it would have been lying to flat-out deny they were coming.

I think Apple is actually working on a phone. I hope it's quad-band GSM and I can find it in a local store right around when I'm eligible for another subsidized phone thru T-Mo.

11. macrumors 6502a

ImAlwaysRight

The Intel proc in my new MacBook is quite a performer. One small thing: I can't get over the approximately 20 second startup time. That's great because even sleeping a laptop overnight on battery power drains the battery more than you would think. Good choice, Steve!

12. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Math errors in the Steve Jobs interview:
    The interviewer says the new Apple Store in New York will be open 24x7x365. She's confusing 24x7 (open every hour of the week) and 24x365 (open every hour of the year). Her version means every hour for 7 years! Steve says it correctly (24x365) in the interview.

If Apple has 5% of the market, they need to convince 5.26% (not 5%) of the rest of the market to switch in order to double their market share. But I'll have to play it again to see just how he phrased it.​
    Steve didn't choose to confirm iPhone rumors, convince the interviewer to switch to a Mac, or agree that the store will be New York's #1 place for social gatherings in the middle of the night!

13. macrumors 68000

sam10685

i watched a video of someone testing out the macbook and they opened it while it was sleeping and it woke up WAY faster than my G4 powerbook even. (all portables wake up fast but they usually need a few seconds to do stuff to finally turn on. i didn't see that in the macbook.)

14. macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

iphone

steve jobs: "we never talk about unannounced products, if we ever did announce something like that id love to talk to you about it then" To me this sounds like there will be an announcement in the near future... but thats just me..

15. macrumors newbie

Very cool time-lapse video...Man, I love that store! It's always nice to have another reason to visit New York. :D

16. macrumors 68040

BoyBach

The glass cube and minimalist store layout looks great!

17. macrumors regular

Eh I can't watch the video on my pc. Going to apple.com crashes firefox and IE.

18. macrumors 65816

monke

I think he said around 5%, depending who you talk to.

5.26% would work. :)

19. macrumors 68020

I hate when interveiwers talk about unreleased or rumored products. They know before the ask the question that Steve isn't going to tell them.

The Staircase with the elevator in the middle is soooooo cool! :)

20. macrumors 68020

yippy

Why 5.26%? Do you mean of the remaining 95%? If you take it as you need 5% of the total computer market to switch then it is correct.

21. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The way to find out would have been for her to ask him "Is it true that Apple will be selling Apple-branded automobiles?", which we're pretty sure isn't true. If he said flat-out "no" to that, then his different answer about iPhones would be telling.

22. macrumors 65816

runninmac

That elevator was awesome in the background. I can't wait to go to NYC to visit the cube!

23. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I really think that the cube is an amazing piece of archiecture. It's perfect for an apple store.

24. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We haven't been discussing the most important part of this multi-topic news story, the part that could affect certain people's lives in profound ways.

Did Uschi Lang say yes?

25. macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I think Steve meant it would only take the computer market to go from 5% Mac to 10% Mac to double market share, rather than say 29% to 58% if they were already a market leader. However he worded it, it made sense from a non-economic viewpoint, (why say another 5.26% to take us to 10% when all that would potentially do is get people with little to no economical eperience to wonder what the hell he was talking about).