Apples Abroad (Southeast Asia)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cqli, Mar 22, 2004.

1. cqli macrumors newbie

Mar 18, 2004
    Just throwing it out there in the hopes someone might know the answer to this:
    I was wondering how compatible Apples Powerbooks are with the internet cafes and such in the Philippines. ie could I use my powerbook to go online at those places?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Fukui macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2002
    As long as thier using 802.11 b or g should be fine.
  3. cqli thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 18, 2004
    Thanks so much for the reply! I guess I don't know that much about computers- what does it mean to be 802.11 b or g?

4. Fukui macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2002
    Thats the standard wireless networking that most everyone has agreed on. Airport uses 802.11b and Airport Extreme uses 802.11b and 802.11g. As long as those cafe are using standard set ups then it should run fine.

b is older but more common, and g is faster though compatible with b as well. There is also a which is fast as g but not compatible with g and b. So...if they are using a then you'll need to get a separate adapter, otherwise airport shoudl work with no troubles...
  5. spacepower macrumors member

Jul 8, 2002
    why b and g are for wireless

You can always just plug in good old ethernet. I used to hook up on etherent in net cafes in Italy, France, Hunagary, Czech Republic, Poland, Romania, and Hong Kong.

You can hook up a Mac anywhere you can hook up a PC. Just tell the tech guy that you want to hook up your own cpu. Mac OS9 and OSX can autoconfigure themselse easier than a PC. The tech guy should either tell you dhcp or assign you a network IP address.

One or 2 times the tech guys are lazy, and they want you to just use their cpu's. As soon as you head for the door the will offer much more help. Also many tech guys are amazed, (most in the places i mentioned had never seen a mac in person b4) at how easy a Mac will work on their network. Less effort than the 50 PCs that they have to deal with everyday.
  6. cqli thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 18, 2004
    Wow, thanks for the tips! Yeah I think they have more fast speed connections there than wireless (at least at a hourly rate)-
    Is ethernet the same thing as using a dsl connection?
  7. crenz macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2003
    Shanghai, China
    Ethernet is just a way of connecting things. It happens to be used when you connect to a DSL line also, but not only. Those internet cafés will be using their own connection, be it DSL, cable, a dedicated line or whatever. You don't really have to know or care about it.
  8. LLRIIImd macrumors newbie

Mar 24, 2004
    to cqli,
    yup. all you need is your airport extreme-equipped iBook/PB, go to a hotspot and buy a card. some of the hotspots in RP; seatle's best coffee (most outlets), shangrila, greenhills, etc