Apple's Almost Perfect Package

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jul 15, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. Administrator emeritus

Jun 28, 2002
    North Central Colorado
    and that, my friends, marks the last of the "rehash of the apple financial status" links I'll post, unless one has some sort of groundbreaking whoknowswhat we haven't seen before.
  3. Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Whakatane, New Zealand
    I find that very interesting, considering that the Mac didn't exist until 1984 :rolleyes:
  4. macrumors 68020

Nov 8, 2003
    New Zealand
    Thanks for that Mudbug, Ill refrain from posting anymore Apple financial news items.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Sep 27, 2003
    another good financial article. I find it funny how 'analysts' are such fairweather fans. Had there been any glimmer of trouble it would have been blown way out of proportion, as usual. Apple finally turns a good profit (despite the iMac fiasco) and these guys crap their pants. Just wait until the new iMacs come out, my friends. . .

I'm pumped for my AAPL stock to triple, then split, and then have iTunes spin off!
    yeah, right.
  6. Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    Apple made computers before the first Mac! The Apple II (or ][ or however you're meant to type the damn thing) where amazingly popular.
  7. Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Whakatane, New Zealand
    Yeah I know, but the article specifically says the "Mac's heyday in the late 1970s and 1980s".

By the way, I think they changed the "symbol" part way through - I'm pretty sure that I've seen both "Apple ][" and "Apple //e" when you turn them on.
  8. macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    that's an interesting way to think about it... i like that way of thinking about it...
    (but it's true, while waiting in a customs line to reenter the US a couple weeks ago, i heard these college guys taking about getting DVD burners for their computers... apparently, they had all already bought one for their towers, except for one guy, who(m) i heard say, "i'm gonna save up for one of those mac laptops... that 17" looks really nice, and its already got a DVD burner." this excited me... :D )

9. macrumors 68020

May 7, 2003
    Saint Augustine, FL
    Apple ][
    Apple ][+
    Apple //e
    Apple iic
    Apple IIgs

(from what I can recall)

And yeah, I wouldn't call the Mac's heydey to be late 1970's....
  10. macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    Powerbook regained status? Hm...I thought the figures always showed that the Powerbooks were always a strong seller for Apple (much more so than the desktop models)(which is strange, since currently they're relatively underpowered compared to desktops)
  11. macrumors 6502

Sep 12, 2002
    Pretty close, except for Apple//c. (The owner's manual was my last major project at Apple in '85, I've got copy in my bookshelf at home.)
  12. macrumors 6502a

Nov 6, 2003
    Maybe its just around here, but there has been a huge surge (from what I can tell) in the amount of PowerBooks here on campus. Our art department requires them, but those kids all keep to themselves. No, the PowerBooks are becoming much more popular with regular-Joe college types. They're now very useful in the engineering majors because most of our simulators run on UNIX (and also run fine on OS X's BSD variant). A ton of engineers in my classes have them because its just so much easier than having a Windows laptop and then running to the UNIX labs all day.

Of course, all of these are unscientific observations, but it seems to me that they're acceptance at colleges and such has increased dramatically. If I had to guess, I'd say its a combonation of the iPod as a status symbol and "aluminum is cool" trends...
  13. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002

To quote, Mac lovers have "plenty to fret about" because:

a) The iMac will gain a G5 and new design, but not for another month or two.

b) Apple can sell every iPod Mini HD that Hitachi can make.

I'll try not to lose too much sleep :) Investors should try the same--unless they had their heart set on selling everything in the next month for some reason.
  14. macrumors 6502a

Jun 2, 2004
    For those of you who thought the company started in 1984, here is a complete list of computers made their first ten years

1976 - Apple I

1977 - Apple II

1979 - Apple IIplus

1980 - Apple III/IIIplus

1983 - Apple IIe, Lisa/Lisa 2/Mac XL

1984 - Graphical User Interface (GUI), Macintosh 128k, Apple IIc/IIc+ ,Macintosh 512k

1985 - Apple IIe Enhanced/Platinum

1986 - Macintosh Plus, Macintosh Plus ED, Macintosh 512ke, Macintosh ED, Apple IIgs
  15. macrumors 6502a

Sep 27, 2003
    sure, Apple's been around since the 70's. . . but I think the point was that the Mac didn't arrive until 1984. This is, after all, the 20th anniversary. Jobs has promised an exciting year for the Mac! (even if the excitement is delayed because of IBM).

For most, the real excitement has to do with the iPod, which really has nothing to do with the Mac, or 1984.
  16. macrumors 65816

Mar 15, 2003
    In my head
    How much do you reckon I would have to borrow from the bank to set up a mini iPod hard drive making factory? If Apple will buy everything I can make...