Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Not sure if your comment was meant for me but my comment had nothing to do with Google's survival or dependence on hardware; just that they're not nearly as good at delivering new, innovative products as one of the posters implied... showing off cool R&D projects and talking about their vision is one thing... delivering real world solutions that are new and genuinely useful is exponentially more difficult.
[doublepost=1464389046][/doublepost]

It's still an Echo; there's natural evolution of an idea, such as adding more capabilities to an existing idea, like Google Home (aka Echo plus), and then there are revolutionary ones like Mac, iPod, iPhone and iPad that take a fundamentally different approach to an existing product/service.

If the latest rumors are true, Apple's vision of home automation may sit somewhere in between. Certainly, it needs to be more than just Siri in a box like Echo and GH, which I've stated several times doesn't make sense when they can just enable all their devices to be always listening.

We'll see if Apple's version is just an Echo clone or a very different approach to home automation or maybe they'll never release this rumored device... kind of like the Apple TV (actual TV) that's been rumored for ages.
I disagree. And you clearly don't see the utility in the Echo vs having a device you already own always listening. That's fine. But that doesn't make it an unworthy product

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
When Apple first introduced multitouch, it was the creation. It was later revolutionized and implemented, and further integrated for the user to become used to having not having a physical or Querty keyboard. Obviously, they further enhanced multitouch now with 3-D Touch. What other company has 3-D touch on their cell phones or at least patented with the capabilities that Apple has implemented?

Of course they introduced new features. That's how they improve on existing devices. But Apple never invented a device category. They've always taken one that wasn't ideal and made it user friendly and beautifully designed.

Making their version of a home assistant falls right in that pattern. They'll take an ugly device and make something beautiful and a pleasure to use.

Reactions: Dr.Chroma

fspilot1971

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2016

amazonecho2.jpg
Apple's rumored product designed to compete with the Amazon Echo could come equipped with a camera and facial recognition capabilities, reports CNET. Citing sources with knowledge of Apple's plans, CNET says the device would be "self aware," able to detect the people in the room through facial recognition technology.

Once the device determines who is in the room, that information could be used to pull up each person's preferences, "such as the music and lighting they like," allowing for a customized interactive experience for each member of the home. Facial recognition is something Apple has previously expressed interest in, both through patent filings and acquisitions.

News of Apple's work on an Amazon Echo competitor first surfaced earlier this week, when The Information reported such a device was under development. The Amazon Echo is an in-home personal assistant device that features a built-in speaker and a robust artificial intelligence system, and a product from Apple would likely be similar, with AI capabilities based on Siri along with its own speaker and microphone.

It is not clear what form Apple's in-home hub will take. While The Information's report suggested it was a standalone hardware product, a second report from VentureBeat has said Apple will built the Echo-like features into a next-generation Apple TV.

Apple is laying the groundwork for a robust in-home AI-powered product through its work on Siri, and major Siri improvements could come in iOS 10. Apple is said to be preparing to release a Siri SDK, which would make the personal assistant available to developers for the first time and greatly increase its functionality.

Today's report is the first to include details on a potential release timeline, suggesting the device could launch at the end of 2016, but 2017 is a more likely target. CNET cautions that Apple's plans for a camera could change as it is a potential privacy risk that may not be favorable with consumers. As with all Apple products still under development, there's also a chance Apple could scrap its Echo competitor entirely.

Article Link: Apple's Amazon Echo Competitor Could Feature Camera, Facial Recognition

jedifaka

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2011
California
Ask the New York City District Attorney about that. He now has more than 200 iPhones he can't get into.

Also, with respect to security, ask why it was only Apple that pushed back hard on law enforcement and Congress recently. Nobody from google or the other phone manufacturers went up against law enforcement or testified before Congress. Wonder why...

And how are the timeliness of those Android OS updates, anyway?

Sounds like you've already decided. Congratulations.

It was a few years ago, but compromised webcams turned out to have been a very unhappy surprise for some people.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2428635,00.asp
https://www.macrumors.com/2013/12/1...-macbook-webcams-without-green-warning-light/

Last edited:

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Amazon Echo? What is Amazon Echo? Can somebody please tell me more about Amazon Echo?
[doublepost=1464392946][/doublepost]
Oh, come on. You almost had me on board until this patently false hyperbolic statement.
It's true, Apple just never have been good at software. Or hardware. Or services as a matter of fact.
Ha. All the extreme points of view at MacRumors Forums. Getting my daily dose, how about you?

Reactions: d00d

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Apple lately has sure turned into a "Me too" company.

I think they need to focus on what got them here in the first place, with a refresh line of the Macs and focus on innovation of the iPhone.

The problem with this this thinking is if they DON'T enter this product category, but it becomes a big deal, people will say "where is Apple?". If they enter the product category, people will say "Apple is a me too company" now.

In reality, Apple was not the first company to release MP3 players, smart phones, tablets, and so on. They always wait until companies make mistakes, then step in with their own measured response

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Sounds like you've already decided. Congratulations.

It was a few years ago, but compromised webcams turned out to have been a very unhappy surprise for some people.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2428635,00.asp
https://www.macrumors.com/2013/12/1...-macbook-webcams-without-green-warning-light/

I've already decided? Congratulations? Does your snark somehow compensate for not having anything of importance to say on the matter?

With respect to those links, you are aware that was tracking software installed by the school, hacked as it modified the system, and only would work on pre-2008 computers (8 years ago), right? And that SI would not permit that today.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Not extinct, but trends in the market aren't usually wrong. Icahn hasn't made billions by being stupid with his money. I received some new price targets for AAPL this morning - Some of you would have strokes if these prices came to fruition. Like I said, Apple knows this - look for a major acquisition in the not too distant future. Or Apple will be forced to use that cash to prop up their stock.

There's your problem, you have been listening to Wall Street complete idiots.

Google and Microsoft have been playing them for fools that they are, and more and more keep coming, I will give their CEOs the capabilities for that, and you're just more canon fodder...

Go away and sell your AAPL shares if you will, your broker will be happy, but don't sell that BS to sane people.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
we have Amazon Echos - getting better all the time, integrates well into Amazon for orders, is very open on IFTTT, etc.
I too have Amazon Echo upstairs and downstairs, they've worked out exceptionally well. It's IFTTT that's been especially nice since I've been enjoying it even before i bought the Echo. It fits in perfectly with my cross platform ecosystem, the improvement and refinements of these latest Echos compared to the original proves how well Amazon understands the category.

The reason Apples device won't interest me is twofold. First I have no use for a closed proprietary device, and second, like SIRI Apple's device is bound to be a gimmicky thing preprogrammed with cutesy responses designed to impress the easily amused.

No Thanks...

Reactions: duffman9000

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
Saying the echo is just a speaker is like saying the iPad is just a bigger phone. It is a different experience because I wouldn't lauren to music on an iPhone speaker. I don't have to have a device in hand to get information or control the home. While the echo and similar devices have room to grow.. Minimizing it to a wireless speaker is a bit off base
I will not deny that the iPad is just a big iPhone they pretty much run the same OS but on a bigger screen. Hey Siri on the 6s/Plus does not require the iPhone to be plugged in. This is why a bluetooth speaker with mic would make since. you get all the functionality of siri, and home kit. no need to build a device with its own OS.

Reactions: samcraig

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Oh, so not only will it listen to everything you say, it will also be watching everything you do? Noooooooo thanks.

it wont be stored by Apple, itll just be the device looking for people. Dont trust Apple? Fine, but youd better get rid of all of your Apple devices since if they're liars they're already recording you with your phone, tablet, and Mac, and keping the results.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Apple lately has sure turned into a "Me too" company.

Lately?

Others made MP3 players, Apple: Me too, with the iPod.
Others made smart phones, Apple me too, with iPhone.
Others made tablets, Apple me too with the iPad.
Others made maps, Apple me too with it's own Maps.
Others put a fingerprint scanner on the phone, Apple me too with it's touch ID.
Others made smart watches, Apple me too with the Apple watch.
Others are making automated electric cars, presumably Apple me too with the Apple car.

Guess Apple should drop everything else and stick with macs ;)

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Lately?

Others made MP3 players, Apple: Me too, with the iPod.
Others made smart phones, Apple me too, with iPhone.
Others made tablets, Apple me too with the iPad.
Others made maps, Apple me too with it's own Maps.
Others put a fingerprint scanner on the phone, Apple me too with it's touch ID.
Others made smart watches, Apple me too with the Apple watch.
Others are making automated electric cars, presumably Apple me too with the Apple car.

Guess Apple should drop everything else and stick with macs ;)

"Guess Apple should drop everything else and stick with macs ;)"

Nope, can't do that. Others made personal computers before the Mac came to market in 1984.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.