Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today held its annual shareholder meeting. While Apple kept to its policy of not discussing upcoming products, Apple's CEO Steve Jobs reportedly replied "we hear you" when one shareholder requested that the company make the "ultimate media center," including personal video recorder functionality.

The exact circumstances of the quote are unclear at this point, with conflicting reports from Macworld and Think Secret. Think Secret specifies that the shareholder was speaking in regards to Microsoft's Media Center.

Jobs also mentioned a new TV ad campaign to launch next week, although the campaign's topic (iPod, Mac, etc.) was not specified.

Of final note, former president of the Sierra Club Larry Fahn questioned Apple on its environmental sensitivity.

Quote from Macworld
"We are concerned that besides being a hip, cool company, Apple is falling short of the industry environmentally." Fahn said. "I would like to thank you for the program introduced last week, but there is still a long way to go."

In response, Jobs noted that the Sierra Club recently voted Apple one of its top 10 environmentally friendly companies. "So there is some kind of disconnect with your numbers," he said. Jobs also noted that Apple's new recycling program takes any computer, not just Macs, "because we like switchers, too."

Update: CNet adds that Apple's upcoming ad campaign will be geared towards promoting the Mac.

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
Media Center

Make the ultimate media center?

"We hear you loud and clear!" -- Jobs

Can't wait for that. Bring it!

Di9it8

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
Macrumors said:

Jobs also mentioned a new TV ad campaign to launch next week, although the campaign's topic (iPod, Mac, etc.) was not specified.

Quote from Macworld

Must be the Macbook for consumers and or home media centre :D

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
"We are concerned that besides being a hip, cool company, Apple is falling short of the industry environmentally." Fahn said. "I would like to thank you for the program introduced last week, but there is still a long way to go."

In response, Jobs noted that the Sierra Club recently voted Apple one of its top 10 environmentally friendly companies. "So there is some kind of disconnect with your numbers," he said. Jobs also noted that Apple's new recycling program takes any computer, not just Macs, "because we like switchers, too."

oh, snap. Sounds like Jobs pwned that dude. "Like, check your numbers before you blast me."

I think the recycling program is a great move by Apple... why are people so quick to point out yet unseen faults?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
"Everyone wants a MacBook Pro because they are so bitchin"

Thats what MacWorld said Jobs said!

Also “We only have one CRT product left and that’s the eMac,” Jobs noted. “We could be sitting here next year with none.”

Seems like Jobs is not letting the eMac stay around as is... come on LCD eMac

richdun

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2005
rikers_mailbox said:
oh, snap. Sounds like Jobs pwned that dude. "Like, check your numbers before you blast me."

I think the recycling program is a great move by Apple... why are people so quick to point out yet unseen faults?

Gotta love people (like Jobs) who know other people's stuff better than the other people do. Just goes to show how really on top of things most special interest orgs are. They use any audience to trumpet the current cause, even if they just trumpetted the opposite not too long ago.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
thejadedmonkey said:
P.S. What are PVR's?
Pabst Violet Ribbon?

(ok, that was a bad pun...)

So "We hear you loud and clear" = "It's in testing now and will be released to manufacturing in two weeks"??? We've come a long way from Jobs' original denial and derision.

michaelb

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2003
I like what Phil Schiller added:

"I think there are a lot of PCs that should be recycled...”

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
danielwsmithee said:
Is'nt that the 17" iMac. I don't see what else they could make for a LCD eMac, smaller hard-drive & no wireless maybe?

IT would need wireless
but slower Specs(Core Solo, 80Gb hardrive, no iSight ,15'' Screen) and the sexy iMac G4 look

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'm sure the ads will be for iPod wallets and Hi-Fi. Now we know why they haven't had a TV campaign for these products before now. Get ready!!

And regarding environmental protests: these challenges to Apple have clearly resulted in changes for the better--so I say, keep them up! As long as Apple COULD do better, I'm glad there are people pushing for it to happen.

Feb 27, 2006
Why didn't SJ mention Front Row when he replied 'loud and clear'? If they allowed Front Row to be extended so EyeTV could be part of the picture that would be cool...

As for the TV ads - to maximise the value of the campaign I'd be guessing they will be advertising MacBooks - and highlighting that all consumer Macs are now Intel!

Should be a good week!

Bman721

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2006
A PVR would be a good option for any macs, but i doubt it will ever happen.

If Apple makes a PVR, then it will kill off the iTunes TV show purchases....just doesn't make sense for them to make it.

AppleinJapan

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2005
Bman721 said:
A PVR would be a good option for any macs, but i doubt it will ever happen.

If Apple makes a PVR, then it will kill off the iTunes TV show purchases....just doesn't make sense for them to make it.

Think about it..The option to buy TV shows is only in America - I read an article I think it was on macbytes.com from an Australian news paper that said it will be a long long time before it happened in OZ- Channel 7, 10 and especially 9 have a hold on the market. So I don't really think that Apple can expand the TV market - maybe to the UK ???

PVR would bring the option to record TV to every mac user around the world and offer one more reason to move from a PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.