Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xNYMetsx

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
I think the issue is that one by one, Google is passing Apple's landmark accomplishments...
1.) iOS used to outnumber Android in daily sales worldwide
2.) iPhone used to always be the #1 phone sold each quarter
3.) iOS used to be the #1 Tablet OS
4.) AppStore used to have more apps
5.) AppStore used to have more downloads/day
6.) It's only a matter of time before Google Play surpasses AppStore revenue (At This Rate)

I'm a fan of Apple's past. Let's hope together for the future.

I agree, Apple can't help it, there's just more devices and apps on Android.

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003
So Google Play is dominant in Korea, competitive in Japan, has a modest footprint in the US, and is negligible everywhere else. I'm not at all surprised at Korea (Samsung territory), Japan (still no iPhone on the leading carrier), or the US (Android has modest but non-trivial usage share), but I didn't realize Google Play was so weak everywhere else.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
No, genius. You need a rooted Android phone, same thing as a jailbroken iPhone.

:rolleyes:

Piracy aside - not here to debate that - but you don't need to be rooted in order to install non Google Play Store apps. Just a simple checkbox in settings to allow non market apps.

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003
Thanks for typing out all those numbers, but it is irrelevant. The fact remains:

A smart guy liked to use this Wayne Gretzky quote,
"I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been"

Yes, and the puck in the smartphone market is clearly going to China. Unfortunately for Google and Apple, neither of them has a business strategy that can work in Chinese mass market, which is clearly being taken over by no-name Android devices that are too cheap for Apple to compete with and have been totally stripped of all meaningful Google services.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Smart people.

Have you actually ever used the GP store and compared it to the App Store? The layout, navigation, searching and visual flair is vastly superior in the GP store. My opinion, but as I've used both, the difference is night and day.

xNYMetsx

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
Well of course! Most of the Apps on Google Play are garbage. iOS is where the quality Apps are, and that's why people part with money for them.

Android's ahead in terms of quantity, but it's the quality that really matters. And that's why Apple will ALWAYS win. :apple:

Google Play's apps aren't garbage, they're just as good, if not better. As you can see by the first chart, Google is catching up, fast.

Gus Van Der Mee

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2013
Have you actually ever used the GP store and compared it to the App Store? The layout, navigation, searching and visual flair is vastly superior in the GP store. My opinion, but as I've used both, the difference is night and day.

It is your opinion.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Yes, and the puck in the smartphone market is clearly going to China. Unfortunately for Google and Apple, neither of them has a business strategy that can work in Chinese mass market, which is clearly being taken over by no-name Android devices that are too cheap for Apple to compete with and have been totally stripped of all meaningful Google services.

Ding ding ding. I think we have a winner.

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Your comment contradicts this news article. If there was as many quality Apps on Android, there would be a roughly proportionate total revenue figure... that's far from the case.

In comparison to Android tablet Apps, the iPad totally PISSES on Android.

Oh, and Apple has strict quality requirements for Apps submitted to the App Store. Google Play: "if it passes our basic automated AV check, come on in!".

Does this meet your "Quality Requirement"?

Fart Machine Extreme - The ultimate fart experience

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fart-machine-extreme-ultimate/id359651573?mt=8

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
It is your opinion.

My point was there is nothing "smart" about avoiding the GP store. What about not using that marketplace is smart? And don't say "viruses" or "malware". While yes, there is a very isolated smattering of infected apps, they are generally pulled well in advance of the reports that they exist.

The fact of the matter is that the most high quality apps exist on both platforms and oftentimes, what costs money on the app store can be had for free on the GP store. Why would I ever pay money for something when I can have it for free? To me, that's the definition of NOT being smart.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
If I open up my own App store, I'll see bigger growth than google. (Starting from 0). Would you fawn over my app store?

bingo. going from nothing (0) to something (1) is 100% growth. thus it's not surprising that google play may see a higher relative growth metric.

that this simple rule of math is overlooked may be a testament to the age of the posters on here. still in high school, etc..

absurdamerica

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
I think you have a math 101 problem.

Hah, no, that'd be you actually. OP is completely right. This is all bad news for Apple. Last year apple had over 70 percent of the smartphone market's profits, this year it's down to like 54 percent which is a staggering drop.

For a long time Apple was losing market share but still killing it on profits, now it's barely hanging on in terms of profits, has been totally blown out of the water in market share and now the same trend is showing in the App Store side of things.

I love my iPhone but you need to quit drinking the kool aide. Apple is in trouble.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
Well of course! Most of the Apps on Google Play are garbage. iOS is where the quality Apps are, and that's why people part with money for them.

Android's ahead in terms of quantity, but it's the quality that really matters. And that's why Apple will ALWAYS win. :apple:

there is nothing in those graphs depicting quality over quantity. in fact, the appstore still has more apps than google play.

all they show is revenue and google play is increasing its sales at a higher rate compared to the appstore.

Gus Van Der Mee

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2013
Hah, no, that'd be you actually. OP is completely right. This is all bad news for Apple. Last year apple had over 70 percent of the smartphone market's profits, this year it's down to like 54 percent which is a staggering drop.

For a long time Apple was losing market share but still killing it on profits, now it's barely hanging on in terms of profits, has been totally blown out of the water in market share and now the same trend is showing in the App Store side of things.

I love my iPhone but you need to quit drinking the kool aide. Apple is in trouble.

Make that two math 101 problems.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
163 million Android smartphones were shipped 2 quarters ago compared to Apple's 37 million.

187 million Android smartphones were shipped last quarter compared to Apple's 31 million.

That's 350 million new Android smartphones in just the last 6 months... an incredible number compared to Apple's modest 68 million. And that's not even including all the existing Android phones... in which Android has handily outsold Apple smartphones for quite some time.

So are people simply not using all those Android phones for apps?

Android phones have 6 times the market share of the iPhone... yet the iPhone is beating them in app store revenue.

Something must be going on.

You know that more than half of Android devices doesn't have Google services, don't you?

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011

There are more apps on the App Store then on Google Play aren't there?

----------

163 million Android smartphones were shipped 2 quarters ago compared to Apple's 37 million.

187 million Android smartphones were shipped last quarter compared to Apple's 31 million.

That's 350 million new Android smartphones in just the last 6 months... an incredible number compared to Apple's modest 68 million. And that's not even including all the existing Android phones... in which Android has handily outsold Apple smartphones for quite some time.

So are people simply not using all those Android phones for apps?

Android phones have 6 times the market share of the iPhone... yet the iPhone is beating them in app store revenue.

Something must be going on.

Ah the shipped quote...so silly and funny how people cling to this metric.

HP shipped 1 million Touchpads ya know and sold 25k.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
No, genius. You need a rooted Android phone, same thing as a jailbroken iPhone.

:rolleyes:

No, you don't need to root to install apps on Android, like you don't need to jailbreak to install on iOS

----------

In fact, there is no Play Store in China

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
There are more apps on the App Store then on Google Play aren't there?

----------

Every time I read about "BUT THEYRE ONLY SHIPPED NUMBERS" I picture the poster imagining this warehouse filled with Android devices, collecting dust while every time an iPhone made it's magically built at the time of the request.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

Still using the HP thing? Really? When you people will acknowledge that the "shipped not sold" is a silly argument?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.