Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A couple of reports have indicated that Apple may be launching their Back to School promotion as soon as this Tuesday. Apple's Back to School promotion is traditionally offered throughout the summer and has offered students and faculty free or discounted iPods when purchasing a new Mac. Last year's promotion kicked off on June 3rd.

According to one unconfirmed report, Apple will again be offering a free 8GB iPod Nano or 8GB iPod Touch to eligible customers who purchase a qualifying Mac. In addition, however, Apple is said to be extending the offer to the 8GB iPhone as well. These iPhone customers, however, are still obligated to also sign up for the 2 year contract with AT&T, though would get the handset itself for free.

Article Link: Apple's Back to School Promo Launching This Week? To include iPhone?

gtv

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2009
is this for the uk aswell, if not, how long will we have to wait?

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
is this for the uk aswell, if not, how long will we have to wait?

Europe has traditionally had the back to school offer in the autumn.

Advantage is that new iPods could be included. Disadvantage is that the rebate, at least last year, was not as substantive as in the States.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
Clearing inventory or not, this makes sense. The margins on the iPhone are higher than on the Touch, and because of the contracts, they're less likely to be re-sold.

Libitina

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
UK
Back to school? I thought American kids broke up for summer around the beginning of June??

celtikmind

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Europe has traditionally had the back to school offer in the autumn.

Advantage is that new iPods could be included. Disadvantage is that the rebate, at least last year, was not as substantive as in the States.

If Apple really have the same pricing policy around the world how come Europe doesn't get the same discount? They still cost the same to manufacture, dont they? In China that is... :rolleyes:

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
This would be the most solid indication there will be Mac and iPhone updates coming at WWDC or the near future. I would rather pass up this deal and wait for the newest hardware.

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
If Apple really have the same pricing policy around the world how come Europe doesn't get the same discount? They still cost the same to manufacture, dont they? In China that is... :rolleyes:

The general pricing policy of a company has little to do with promotions and rebates that a company initiates in different countries.

How difficult is it to understand that the cost of a machine in a given country is based on the base cost of the machine, the cost of doing business in that particular country, the tax policy of that particular country, and the value of that country's currency vis-à-vis the USD?

In Europe I get a far better deal in higher education discounts on notebooks than in the US, relative to the normal prices.

Back to the "Back to School" offer. First, we can speak of a traditional, monolithic back to school period in the United States - the summer - based on when academic institutions start their autumn term. This makes it practical to attempt to tie lots of incoming students into the Mac with a free iPod. In Europe, semesters do not all start around the same time. The academic calendar in Germany is different from other places, etc. This makes it less monolithic and less traditional. Second, as iPod refreshes have generally been in the autumn, it is widely acknowledged this move is to clear inventory before the refreshes - giving Apple an incentive to give larger discounts compared to the program in Europe that includes brand new models.

One additional point that distinguishes the two continents in terms of the iPod promotion - the strategic interest of putting the iPhone/iPod Touch operating system into students hands. Due to closer relationships between Apple and American institutions, it is much more likely that universities would work the iPod touch into the school through podcasts, calendars, apps, etc. I do not see the university that I currently teach at in Europe deploying this sort of venture in the foreseeable future, nor at the 10 other institutions that I collaborate with on a regular basis. It is not making any inroads into curriculum. As a result, there are fewer push-pull motivations in giving away free iPod touches. This, however, might change with the European promotion as the iPod Touch may become even less expensive.

Are Apple products cheaper in the US than in Europe? Absolutely. This is not some huge conspiracy against you or the continent in general formulated by the people in Cupertino.

Why does a Dell 24" ultrasharp display cost $479 in the US and $879 in Europe?

There's the legality of some rebates, cost of business, taxes, and the currency.

liamwillib

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2009

For the past few years the Americans have got the current iPods free, while we Brits get the deal a couple of months later and get approx £100 rebate on the NEW iPods. Both offers have their advantages, just depends if your favouring new tech or free. Would imagine the cost margins are much smaller on the newest tech at the start of their lives so all seems pretty fair.

celtikmind

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
For the past few years the Americans have got the current iPods free, while we Brits get the deal a couple of months later and get approx £100 rebate on the NEW iPods. Both offers have their advantages, just depends if your favouring new tech or free. Would imagine the cost margins are much smaller on the newest tech at the start of their lives so all seems pretty fair.

No offense to anyone but this post made a lot more sense to me...

LAS.mac

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Mexico
I'd bet that BTS will start AFTER the WWDC. THere is no sense to have it started when the current semester or academic year is still running.
And I don't see the customer advantage to have the iphone for free, when they have to sign the two years contract: one thing is a free ipod and/or touch, which can be sold, but what about iphone? How this thing is going to be sold if one has to honor the 2 years contract?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I'd bet that BTS will start AFTER the WWDC. THere is no sense to have it started when the current semester or academic year is still running.
And I don't see the customer advantage to have the iphone for free, when they have to sign the two years contract: one thing is a free ipod and/or touch, which can be sold, but what about iphone? How this thing is going to be sold if one has to honor the 2 years contract?

Obviously you just SELL IT, wait a month, and then pay 200 more dollars to cancel the contract.

The point is to force people NOT to sell it.

icanhazapple

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Obviously you just SELL IT, wait a month, and then pay 200 more dollars to cancel the contract.

The point is to force people NOT to sell it.

Is at&t's early termination fee limited to $200?

I mean this is a pretty easy play here if true, as the 'true cost' of the phone outside of contract is higher than the supposed maximum $200 ETF.

Now as to whether at&t would subsequently blacklist the IMEI of the phone if canceled, who knows. (I don't)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.