Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

itunes_music_card_100.jpg

Following a couple of missed rumored launch dates, a report surfaced over the weekend indicating that Apple will finally be launching its annual Back to School promotion this Wednesday. A new report from 9 to 5 Mac corroborates that claim and adds a new wrinkle -- instead of a free iPod as in years past, Apple will be offering $100 iTunes gift cards to education customers purchasing new Macs.
In year's past, Apple's Back to School promotion offered students their usual educational discount plus a free iPod with any purchase of a Mac. This year, 9to5Mac has been told, will be very different. In fact, Apple will not be offering free iPods during this promotion but will instead offer a $100 iTunes gift card.
Such an offer will likely be a letdown for a number of users who have been holding out on Mac purchases in hopes of picking up a free iPod. The free iPod offer has typically been good for the low-end iPod touch, which usually comes in in the $200-$230 range, meaning that this year's offer would contain considerably less value and be for media rather than hardware.

Article Link: Apple's Back to School Promo Launching Wednesday With $100 iTunes Gift Cards?

eXistance360

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
this better be false, or else apple is getting ****ing greedy.

EDIT*

Give us a Apple Gift Card, give us just a greater price slash to the product. Don't give us a useless Itunes gift card that just benefits apple. This is ridiculous and if true I will be waiting for an Asus UX21 instead of buying a macbook air.

Oh, and try 200 credit, not 100. What a joke..

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Eh, I'm okay with it. Ebay can only handle so many "unopened, received as a gift but I didn't need it" 8GB ipod touches.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
considering that microsoft is giving free xbox 360s to students starting this year, it makes little sense for apple to decide to now stop their free ipod program. It's not like they're running low on $ or anything.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
I don't suppose they could give the option of an Apple Gift Card of equivalent value instead of an iTunes Gift Card?

Hmmm I was hoping they upgraded to an iPad, not downgraded to a $100 gift card...
Given the supposed introduction of unlocked iPhones on Wednesday coincident with the rumoured launch of the Back to School sale, I thought it would be extended to unlocked iPhones.

DaGreat01

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Everything seems to be happening on Wednesday.

Poor Wednesday, it must be stressed with all the expectations.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Even the free Xbox is worth $200 and there you only have to buy a $699 windows laptop.

I was really hoping for an iPad discount, don't really need an iPod Touch.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
Maby if this is true then they won't be updating the iPod touch this September either. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it was just a way to get rid of the stocks of iPods for the release in September, but if this is true then they are not doing that. But then again just speculating

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
Sucks, but wouldn't be surprising. Either way something extra is nice. For those calling Apple greedy, seriously? They are a business, they make money, its what they do. Be happy with your extra 100$ gift card and **** cry babies.

DaGreat01

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Now that I think about it, why would they do this promo now? Didn't school just let out a few weeks ago. (just now letting out in the north)

rcjh22

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2010
I lose a lot of respect for Apple if this is true.
Microsoft is giving an Xbox 360 and all Apple gives is a crappy little ITUNES gift card?!

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
I'm not surprised. Usually when apple does this its also to clear their inventory of iPods. Then traditionally a few months later a new model is released. This however would obviously be changed if Apple is pushing back the next iPhone revision.

eXistance360

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007

Now that I think about it, why would they do this promo now? Didn't school just let out a few weeks ago. (just now letting out in the north)

Not for college/university students, whom of which this program is aimed at.

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
I truly hope this isn't true. I've been dying to get an iPod touch and this was the perfect opportunity - new 13" MBP + iPod... but it seems it might not happen now. I guess I'll use the $100 gift card on Mac Apps... :(

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
considering that microsoft is giving free xbox 360s to students starting this year, it makes little sense for apple to decide to now stop their free ipod program. It's not like they're running low on $ or anything.

Good point. Seems strange.

It makes more sense for Apple to give away the iPod so that people will buy content from the App & iTunes stores.

They always start their BTS program in the summer.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Wow...Im keeping my macbook now. Was gonna sell it and upgrade to a new mac and get an iPod.

Was gonna get the SGS2 and iPod with a new MacBook.

Oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.