Apple's Battery Charger Sets New Standby Usage Benchmark

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 27, 2010.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of Apple's more interesting product announcements today was its Apple Battery Charger, designed to keep the company's increasing array of wireless peripheral devices powered up. While we briefly mentioned the release in our coverage of Apple's new Magic Trackpad that utilizes the rechargeable AA batteries Apple is now offering along with the charger, the batteries and charger themselves bear some closer examination.

[​IMG]

Apple touts that its new battery charger carries the industry's lowest "vampire draw", a measure of power consumed while not actively in use for its intended purpose.
    The company also points to the AA batteries themselves, which are designed to maintain a full charge through hundreds of charge cycles and last up to ten years. The batteries also maintain their charge while simply sitting in a drawer, retaining up to 80% of their charge after a year on the shelf. Six of the NiMH AA batteries are included with the charger.

As is to be expected, the Apple Battery Charger offers traditional Apple styling, offering the same rounded white plastic design as other power devices from the company, while also utilizing the same removable plug with fold-up prongs to allow for interchanging adapter fittings.

Article Link: Apple's Battery Charger Sets New Standby Usage Benchmark

2. macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

They just keep going and going and going... :)

3. macrumors 65816

So far my 4 year old RadioShack battery charger has done a great job. In the past five months is gets a lot of use recharging my Magic Mouse batteries every 3 weeks :eek:

4. macrumors regular

who's lining up to get the charger? i'm pump'd :D

finally an apple designed charger.. :)

5. macrumors 6502a

I am in the queue. I ordered two today for our iMacs here.

6. macrumors newbie

They're great! My mouse feels more snappy. If you know what I mean.

7. macrumors 601

Eddyisgreat

If I didn't have my BC-700 I probably would have gotten this, though they really are seperate products. The maha/la crosse chargers are more like Cell Maintenance Suites instead of chargers lol

8. macrumors regular

sounds really interesting... can't wait to test it out!

9. macrumors 6502a

Bravo.. I really like my Sanyo Eneloops... so I'm hoping Apple Batteries are at that level...

10. macrumors 6502a

Good job apple!

11. macrumors regular

So the battery cells themselves are like Eneloops? I have a few Duracell batteries that are rebranded eneloops and I'm liking them so far. How much will apple be charging for batteries though?

*edit* oop, you meantioned eneloops above me as I was typing it out :p

12. macrumors 68020

Kebabselector

It needs to be called iCharge

13. macrumors regular

A wired version of the Magic Trackpad uses even less power, is cheaper to produce and will always work. Apple should go greener.

14. macrumors member

Just like Apple

It's just like Apple to take something simple and make it even better. Way to go, Apple!

15. macrumors regular

|*o*|

:eek: ****ing amazing!! Simple as that...:apple:

16. macrumors regular

HiVolt

Batteries themselves have no Apple branding. They're probably just OEM'd Sanyo Eneloops, which wouldn't be bad as I have lots of them and they work GREAT. I have a set in my camera bag and when I need to use the flash, they've never failed, even after sitting for months.

17. macrumors 6502

So... what kind of batteries can it charge? And can it be plugged into all frequencies and voltages with the appropriate plug adaptor?

18. macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I actually think this is one of Apple more innovative things, albeit small.

This could actually be really helpful compared to some of the other battery chargers out there. Not to mention it comes with a decent number of batteries — and they're saying a lifespan of 10 years!

And in the very least, they're at least better than those iPod Socks :)

EDIT: The iPod Socks have a rating of 4 1/2 stars. I guess I eat my words.

19. macrumors 68000

spazzcat

Every 3 weeks, what the heck are you doing? I am just getting ready to change my for the first time. I got my MM on day one.

20. Guest

toddybody

Maybe Apple should figure out how to make a better electric car too. But, then again, it would be frustrating if your house didnt have their proprietary wall plugs and garage size. Darn it.

21. macrumors 6502

Bonch

I was thinking the same thing. Love those little white batteries.

22. macrumors 65816

You know you're on a fanboy site when there is this much excitement about a friggin' BATTERY CHARGER! :rolleyes:

Actually, it'd be a lot nicer if the batteries were re-chargeable within the devices THEMSELVES.

Tony

23. macrumors member

Battery

"Your my boy, Apple, your my boy"

This company is so ********** innovative......

24. macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Out of today's announcements, I'm mostly excited about the charger.

Q: Are those batteries Apple-branded too?

25. macrumors 68030

Full of Win

This beats my Powerex MH-C9000 how? Oh yeah, it does not. I don't see cycling, break-in, or refresh and analyze. At best, this is something that you can get at Wal-Mart for 10$.

As to the vampire pull... I unplug mine when done with it and usually put it into my Pelican case. Is it that hard to unplug them when not in use? :rolleyes: