Apple's CarPlay Requires 'Relatively Light' Integration for Third-Party App Partners

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 6, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Apple announced CarPlay earlier this week at the Geneva Auto Show, bringing Siri-powered messaging, voice calling and streaming music to the car dashboard. Brian Lakamp, president of Digital for Clear Channel Media and Entertainment, talked with Michael Grothaus of Fast Company about iHeartRadio's experience as an early adopter of Apple's new in-car technology.

iHeartRadio is an internet radio service that pulls music programming from 800 Clear Channel radio stations across the US along with other sources. It was one of only four streaming music products that Apple selected as a launch partner for its CarPlay service.
    iHeartRadio, along with the other launch partners, had early access to Apple's private CarPlay API. Lakamp didn't provide a timeframe for how long it took the company to add CarPlay integration to its app, but did confirm the process was "fairly quick." He also noted that it could add CarPlay to its existing iOS app without having to create a new app dedicated to the Apple technology.
    Clear Channel, which owns and operates terrestrial AM and FM media stations, is not afraid of the competition presented by Apple, even if CarPlay does provide "a simple, clean, elegant approach" to connecting an iPhone to an automobile. These new technologies are "additive, and they've extended the opportunity."

Apple's CarPlay initiative is supported by several major automobile manufacturers, including Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz, Volvo, BMW, Ford, GM, Honda, Hyundai and others. It will debut in select 2014 models and will work with any iOS device that has a Lightning port, including the iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c and iPhone 5.

Article Link: Apple's CarPlay Requires 'Relatively Light' Integration for Third-Party App Partners
  2. macrumors regular

May 14, 2012
  3. macrumors 68020

Oct 14, 2011
    I'm more excited about this:
  4. dansix, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014

macrumors member

Apr 17, 2012
    Another great idea with mediocre execution. Carplay should be 99% Siri and the display only secondary as a UI for navigation, A/C, etc. Better yet, integrate the display into the windshield so that when you're navigating, you don't even have to take your eyes off the road. You could also have the windshield/display identify pedestrians or collisions. Apple - just hire me.
  5. AngerDanger, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014

macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2008
    Just wait until Rovio gains access to this API and we can play Angry Birds Go while driving.
  6. macrumors regular

Apr 16, 2008
    Houston TX
  7. macrumors 6502a

Sep 8, 2008
    Good to know it's relatively easy to add CarPlay functionality to apps. But I'm more interested to hear about aftermarket receiver support. Since CarPlay sits on top of QNX, does this mean any aftermarket receiver that runs QNX could easily integrate CarPlay?
  8. macrumors G5

Nov 14, 2011
    Yes Downcast please. :)
  9. macrumors 65816

Jun 13, 2013
    yes and no, why not just use bluetooth audio, lightning cable or 3.5mm aux cable?
  10. macrumors newbie

May 29, 2012
    I'll assume Apple will set strict guidelines on approving apps which utilise the API; just to prevent a heap of 'flappy car' apps distracting us while driving.
  11. macrumors 68020

Nov 4, 2008
  12. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    Do the "twin UI lanes" refer to resistive vs. capacitative interfaces? The former being old and unpleasant but still ubiquitous (Ferrari!) and the latter being modern and feeling more iOS-like.

Designing CarPlay interaction somewhat separately for both cases and acknowledging the difference (including things as basic as scrolling) seems like the right approach if that's what they're doing. A necessary evil that gets the best experience into both types of vehicle system?

Forking it into more than two directions would just be an ugly compromise. I hope the car makers don't get Apple to go that far.
  13. macrumors 68000

Mar 5, 2012
    Central California
    I can see the headlines now

Distracted driver mows down family while playing with CarPlay
  14. macrumors 65816

Jun 30, 2007
    Breaking your NDA with Apple by revealing technical details of a system that hasn't even been released yet is probably not a smart thing to do. Tim is a lot more lenient than Steve, but I can't see him being happy about this.
  15. macrumors regular

May 1, 2008
    Manny elements of a car are distracting to drivers. This is why Congress is trying to pass a law making the speedometer only work when the car is not moving.

"When you are driving, look at the road, not the dashboard."
  16. macrumors 65816

Jun 2, 2010
    Why would Clear Channel be afraid of Apple? The Clear Channel app is one of the few that will compatible with CarPlay at launch, right? Thus Clear Channel's advertising will be able to reach a much wider audience thanks to having easy access to their app right from the dash of Mercedes, Volvos, Ferraris, and more around the country. Seems like a win for Clear Channel's advertising department.
  17. macrumors 68030

Mar 25, 2011
    I gess you do not have a car with a premium infotainment system. If you had you would understand how much of a distraction already exist. CarPlay will actually have the opposite effect.
  18. macrumors 68000

Mar 5, 2012
    Central California
    I do

And it's a distraction

How is this not a distraction?!

Get real
  19. macrumors G5

Nov 14, 2011
    Who's fault is that? If people don't have enough brains to focus on driving it's not Apple or the automakers fault.
  20. macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2010
    here and there
    Just wait until they release Angry Birds Go for CarPlay - you will steer your kart with your steering wheel (optional screen projection on your windshield)!
  21. macrumors 6502

Apr 6, 2012
    I'll be looking forward to cool apps that harness the iPhone's gyroscope to do wonky things with your audio. :D
  22. macrumors 68030

Sep 3, 2010
    ah so youre an attorney for them and have read the NDA youre talking about?, not at all, actually.
  23. macrumors 6502

May 1, 2010
  24. macrumors 68000

Mar 5, 2012
    Central California
    What world are u living in ?!

Apple may be simplifying the distractions but they are distractions

Lipstick on a pig is still a pig.

Apple is the lipstick
  25. macrumors 6502

Oct 9, 2006
    Do we really know enough to assume that Siri isn't playing a big part? The demo didn't focus on it, but I have to assume that the interface can be navigated by voice as well.