Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Optimouse^^

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2007
How many psychologists does it take to screw in a light bulb? Just one. But the bulb has to really want to change. :D

With two of my close colleagues, I am building a company that will design highly specialized human testing and measurement instruments. We need an office that can be setup quickly, and this will include a file and print server, as well as a internal design server. I have a University IT person ready and willing to administer our small network, but, interestingly, my two partners are not opposed to two OS X servers (either Mac Pros or X serves, I'll let the IT guy sort that out) based on Apple vs. M$, but they are both concerned that Apple is moving away from server side business. They are computer scientists who study game theory and I, being the social scientist, am a little concerned about their thoughts on this.

So, horribly long introduction for a simple question: are there any clear indicators that Apple is thinking about dropping development of OS X server, and, instead, focusing exclusively on handheld devices, media and the desktop.

Best,

Jon

qacjared

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
How many psychologists does it take to screw in a light bulb? Just one. But the bulb has to really want to change. :D

With two of my close colleagues, I am building a company that will design highly specialized human testing and measurement instruments. We need an office that can be setup quickly, and this will include a file and print server, as well as a internal design server. I have a University IT person ready and willing to administer our small network, but, interestingly, my two partners are not opposed to two OS X servers (either Mac Pros or X serves, I'll let the IT guy sort that out) based on Apple vs. M$, but they are both concerned that Apple is moving away from server side business. They are computer scientists who study game theory and I, being the social scientist, am a little concerned about their thoughts on this.

So, horribly long introduction for a simple question: are there any clear indicators that Apple is thinking about dropping development of OS X server, and, instead, focusing exclusively on handheld devices, media and the desktop.

Best,

Jon

Apple uses Mac OS X server to power the iTunes Store and its own website and online store. Indeed Apple uses Mac OS X Server and WebObjects to do some unique things that only those two things can really do.

Unless Apple has plans to kill the iTunes Store and Apple's Online Store (store.apple.com) which would make no sense at all i'd save you're quite safe.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Don't think they would, since the base OS is capped at 10-users for a lot of services.

The Server pack add some services, makes some things easier to administer, and unlocks the 10-user limit.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Don't think they would, since the base OS is capped at 10-users for a lot of services.

The Server pack add some services, makes some things easier to administer, and unlocks the 10-user limit.

As of right now, Leopard does have a version that is also capped at 10 users, but that is changing with Snow Leopard server.

Snow Leopard server is only available as an unlimited client version (at the price of the 10 client version though).

Just to nitpick..

redking31591

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
actually I think OS X Server has always had an unlimited number of clients but the standard os that ships on their computers has and will have a 10 client limit.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
apple will definetely not discontinue OSX server, they mightnt have a big market but they have a very dedicated market - if they were to kill it off i dont think people would be very happy. i dont even use it that often and id be furious!

Zjef

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
Here are my thoughts on the subject:
  • I think Apple has a great server package which has a lot of value for a fair amount of money. Just do the math and you will find that only free distributions of LINUX and UNIX are cheaper. The latter ones, require more knowledge and often more skill to set up.
  • Depending on your needs a server might not be something you want to change every iteration. When the services you require are still supported by your client OS, why migrate? I agree, you need to upgrade as soon as support expires.
  • I think that for the SOHO market Apple is spot on with its server package. The right set of services (would like to see some iSuite server integration), the right easiness of use (once you know what to do) and most definitely the right price. Unfortunately this is not the top server market. I know more SOHO’s that even don’t know what a client server architecture is then SOHO’ s that have such an architecture.
  • When I recently checked my retailer, I was kind of surprised since she told me she sold 1 server pack every day. So despite the fact that hardly anybody knows the software package, there are probably more sold then you can imagine.
  • Most services available in the server are available in the client version of the OS as well. So I think that some of these technologies are requiring Apple’s attention anyway. Server or no server development.
  • When you put the services against a time line you might notice that Apple is building more and richer services for OS X server.
  • Reading on the Mac's history, it was Mr Steve Jobs himself who insisted on a server version from the early designing days. Just google on the subject, I think you might be supprised.
  • Last but not least I’ve been using a Mac since 1991. There was always a server version as long as I recall. So why would Apple stop?
So regarding your question I think that in parallel with their client systems Apple serves an alternative (although, it shouldn’t be that way) server market then the mainstream server market. Take a look at forums on the internet regarding OS X server, you will notice that their quite vivid and growing community. Hence you even might find some dedicated websites on OS X server.

Bottom line: whether one likes it or not, OS X server is here to stay.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
actually I think OS X Server has always had an unlimited number of clients but the standard os that ships on their computers has and will have a 10 client limit.

That's what I said. The default option for the XServe is 10 users, but that is also a separate option as well as the unlimited user option. You can still get the 10 client separate. Link

I never said that there was never a unlimited client version before. Apple is just dropping the 10 user option and substituting SL server Unlimited at the prior price point.

To clarify: As of Snow Leopard server, its going to be unlimited client only. The price will be $499 (the same as Leopard Server 10 client is now)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.