Apple's Competition?!?!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by killr_b, Jun 9, 2006.

1. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Hey guy's and dolls,

Anyone ever see one of these before?

http://www.goviliv.com/

Looks like a viable competitor...

Just thought it looked interesting...
    Have a good one.

2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

That looks awesome, looks like my Gameboy micro it's red as well.

Viable competitor, I don't think so, I mean it looks cool but it lacks iTunes and the music store.

3. killr_b thread starter macrumors 6502a

killr_b

I know...

I understand the lack of iTMS and Fairplay decoding...

But what if M$, or another, came out with a service and this device?
    Competition... IMO.

Go Apple!

4. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Not direct competition but things like this will push Apple to make the real Video iPod really amazing as they always want to be a good couple of steps ahead of the competition...We should expect something revolutionary from the next iPod and i'm sure Steve will deliver!

ShadoW;)

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You do realize it's 3x the volume and almost twice the weight of a 30GB 5G, right? One of the things that sold me on the 5G was size. I don't mind carrying around my 5G, but I'd have to think about carrying an extra half pound with me everywhere...

As shadowmoses implies it's a stake in the ground that Apple must surpass when they finally release something aimed more directly at this space.

B

6. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

on the paper, it looks like a major competitor, but it lacks accepted appearance, public image (the cool factor), its too big and heavy, and is produced by a small company. The only real competition I can see in the next few months is by Creative, and they can't get something together to beat the iPod.

Apple will reign for many years to come, don't you worry...

7. iGary Guest

iGary

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

There are more also-rans than you can count. Fact is that some companies can make stuff that for about six months looks better than the then-current iPod. And without a doubt many companies make stuff which does a lot more than the iPod out of the box. But no-one can make stuff work as well as Apple to date. Looking at something and going "Yeah that could be an iPod competitor" is different from actually using the thing every day and it be a truly effortless or a truly frustrating experience.

Practically all MP3 players which aren't iPods I've used have been the latter. They wow me for all of two hours with the extra toys they have or maybe they look better, then frustrate me no end in regular use because stuff doesn't work properly or usably.