Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
Is there anyone out there like me who thinks this gradual shift towards using Myriad instead of the old serif face (can't recall the name) that's been Apple for an age was a really bad design move?

They must have either just wanted a change, or felt the old typeface wasn't bold enough. Personally I thought it was excellent and was very different in style (combined with Apple's great deep-etched graphics) to every other ad out there. Don't get me wrong - I love Myriad and use it all the time. But that's just the problem. It's way too common for Apple to be using and lacks the elegance that the old face gave them.

There are still a few pages left on the Apple site with the old face, but they are few and far between.

My humble design thoughts. Anyone agree? Disagree?

Chuck.
http://www.madebydesign.net

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
I agree with you. Apple Garmond had a lot of class, and really unique. Whereas mirad is just plain. I wish apple would continue using Garmond for their print advertising, I like it.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Yeah, i loved Apple Garamond-- it was like the perfect font. I think they thought it was too fancy and old, and that something ultra-mod needed to take it's place so they would seem high-tech again. And yeah, the new font works well with the new products. But the old one would have, too.

I just hope they continue to use AG on things like letterhead and communications, because changing the logo was severe enough, changing the corporate typeface is just out there...

pnw

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
I like them both. Apple Garamond is a really nice font, but too classic. To me, it invokes feelings of 603 processors and six color logos. The Myriad is a nice modern font, streamlined, Aqua-linke, if you will.

On a side note, does anyone remeber the old Wired Magazine cover with the apple logo on the front, and the text 'Pray' on the bottom, as the headline? Wasn't that in Myriad?

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
I don't care if they use Garamond, Caslon, Myriad, or some crazy Emigre font. As long as I get my G5/970 this year!

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
The Sans-Serif font looks better on many Apple products (the iPod comes to mind) and it has a more OS X feel to it. I did like the serif font, it really gave "Think Different" the perfect amount of class. :)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by macphoria
I don't care if they use Garamond, Caslon, Myriad, or some crazy Emigre font. As long as I get my G5/970 this year!

you have a better chance of seeing apple change their font to bitmapped Dingbats than having a 970 in your hands this year :D

pnw

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
They should have used Ariel instead. ;)

Myriad is used all sorts of places I don't like to see. A local news station (ab)uses it, Payless Shoes uses it and countless others.

So in that way, it does 'bother' me a bit. However, in a vaccuum, the change doesn't bug me. Then again, we don't live in vaccuum's do we? Well, I don't.

I find myself gravitating more and more to serif fonts lately - especially Garamond. I just love to look at the letterforms. I recently picked up Adobe Warnock Pro Opticals (my first foray into OpenType) and really like a lot of its qualities as well.

I almost wonder if the change had anything to do with making Windows Users feel more comfortable with all of their sans faces?

Good thread.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
Where can I get either of these fonts? Neither is available in either Office X or Appleworks 6. So I'm an idiot, I know.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by Foxer
Where can I get either of these fonts? Neither is available in either Office X or Appleworks 6. So I'm an idiot, I know.

There is a Garamond font right there in your system. It is placed here:
/System/Library/CoreServices/Setup\ Assistant.app/Contents/Resources
The font is named "Setup Assistant.dfont". Just copy it to your fonts dir.

skymaXimus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2003
There is a Garamond font right there in your system. It is placed here:
/System/Library/CoreServices/Setup\ Assistant.app/Contents/Resources
The font is named "Setup Assistant.dfont". Just copy it to your fonts dir.

I found the font but can't copy it to the fonts folder. Do i have to have root privileges to do this?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by skymaXimus
I found the font but can't copy it to the fonts folder. Do i have to have root privileges to do this?

You must copy it to the /Library/Fonts folder.
If you want to copy it to the /System/Library/Fonts directory, then you must be root. It is not advisable to do this, as these fonts are "Apple's standard" fonts, used for installers, apps and so on.
The /Library/Fonts folder is accessible to all users using that particular Mac which is the best place to install them.
Good luck!

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
The problem here is that Apple used "Apple Garamond" not just any "garamond". Apple Garamond is not for sale any where, and does not come with any font sets. They had it made for them selves internally. I do have them though, if anyone wants 'em.

Apple][Forever

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2002
I like the Myriad. In fact, now that I've seen the new iBooks, the Garamond nameplate below the screen on mine looks out-of-place and dated.

Maybe I'm just bored with it since it was on my first Apple, back in '86. But Myriad looks so much better on everything, including boxes and documentation (like the Airport card I just bought, which also comes in a box half the size of the first one I bought.)

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
i really really like myriad. its probably one of my favorite fonts, and if it didn't cost a ton of money i would use it for everything. i really wish i had access to that font.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
thank you so much!!!!! it does!!!!!! and to think i could have just searched my hard drive and found it all this time@!!!

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I like the new font...

it's modern...simple...totally fits in with Apple's corporate package & advertising...

anyway...Apple Garamond...while nice...was old...

the best thing a company can do is reinvent itself... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.