1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Apple's dancing dudes on CNet

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by srobert, Oct 21, 2003.

1. macrumors 68020

srobert

I've seen those two ads on Cnet. Don't you think they look a little... disturbing? Especially the purple one. :)

[ Admin Edit: Link to the Ads ]

2. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Do you have some links that work?

[edit - Gotcha. Yeah, a little odd looking.]

3. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

The green one is the best. The purple one is just... wrong.

4. macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Targeted advertising at its best!

5. macrumors regular

there are two purple ones and they're both wrong...

The pink one is good

The yellow one is embarrassing... Whoever that guy is needs a swift kick in the rear.

6. macrumors 68020

srobert

Don't you dare mock the yellow dude! :)

7. macrumors regular

looks kind of tacky in my opinion.
    still pictures would've looked a bit more elegant. but weird jerky animation does catch the eye.

8. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

is the guy on the purple one doing a "z-snap"? They should have added a few more frames to these ;)

pnw

9. mvc
    macrumors 6502a

mvc

Air guitar has its place - just not my place! :D

10. macrumors 6502a

I don't like them... And they are trying to convert people who are getting all their music for free to start paying Apple money for music. Most of the people probally don't like apple that much, knowing most PC users and why would they willingly start paying money for songs if they can just as easliy get all their music for free?

Once some laws are passed that restrict P2P clients or more lawsuits are made I don't see a big switch from non-paying music downloading to pay dowloading.

11. macrumors 6502

heh, yeah these are a bit freaky looking. idk personally the animation might catch my eye quicker than a still shot, but id probably be less likely to actually click the link once i noticed the animated one. :rolleyes: ...good thing i dont have to make that decision :D

12. macrumors 68000

Well, actually, if you've been paying attention to the reactions, they're quite healthy. Aside from some initial problems with installing iTunes.. there's alot of "I love iTunes!!!"

Needlesstosay, alot of PC users are actually starting to "notice" Apple for the first time, and they're impressed with what they see.

13. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

so, what, you'd prefer they didn't advertise at all? there is a certain portion of file traders very scared of lawsuits, and whether that fear is justified or not (it's not), Apple can still take advantage of it. granted a lot of people won't switch to paying, but one day they might, and it's important to establish iTunes as the industry leader now, while the industry is still in it's formative stage.

this is apple's first serious banner campaign in years... very nice, imho.

pnw

14. macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Whatever happened to the blue background. It was one of the first 5 that appeared when this whole silhouette motif came out weeks ago. But it has been absent from all Apple advertising since then.

I liked blue. :(

15. macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

I'm blue, da-boo-dee-da-boo-da....

16. macrumors 65816

alset

I am disappointed that they are animated. I expect that will turn off a lot of people.

Dan

17. macrumors member

iTMS is giving lots of Window$ users their first taste of sweet, sweet Apple candy -- if they don't have an iPod, that is...

18. dho
    macrumors 6502

IMHO stills would have been much better

Good idea though

19. macrumors member

they're not weired they're just bad

20. macrumors 6502

as far as i know, the only blue add was one that someone made out of an exhausting add, i think it was for a desktop background type image. i remember people talking about wanting a blue version of one of these adds when this campaign first started, so thats probably what you saw. :p

21. macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Apple made it. It is definitely real. :(

22. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Maybe they figured Windows users would respond better to the animated ads than mac users would. Notice the ad on the Apple homepage *isn't* animated. ;)

23. macrumors regular

For those who say these are tacky... remember who they are targeted at... teenagers and twenty-somethings who are downloading KAZAA!

Anyone who uses KAZAA is tacky by association and can almost be gauranteed to be a Britney or Boy Band fan. These are perfect for that audience.. the ADHD generation. Jerky bright colored ads are what these kids grew up on, they may not understand anything else.

24. macrumors regular

Ads are ok.

I like the purple one just as much as the others. Come on - they're not that bad. I think they're just fine.

25. macrumors 65816

Dippo

I kinda wonder how effective these ads will be. I am one to believe that those who download music off Kazaa wouldn't buy it if they could get it for free.

I for one wouldn't buy a lot of music because I couldn't afford it, maybe that is the same for people that use Kazaa.

Of course downloading music off Kazaa has become a pain with lots of fakes uploaded by the RIAA. Maybe people will turn to iTunes out of frustration.