Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

humblecode

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2013
Sydney
Maybe I'm sappy, but I happen to like the ad. I think it shows Apple's heart and ethos, which both Jobs and Cook have said is not just to create great products but great experiences. Hard to convey that in an Ad, but Apple has done it better than most, imho.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
lol. You are already biased by stating you "personally hate california". So no matter what happens, good or bad, you don't hold California and its companies and residents in high regard. There is nothing wrong in being proud. In fact each state is very proud of its own status. Maybe CA should fall off the map of the USA. It really begs the question of how it would affect the rest of the country. It's only the 8th ranking economy in the world.

It's the 8th ranking economy in the world who also has no idea how economics work. Would be fun to see how they would do if they did.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
I think the ads are great, especially the black and white motion graphic piece with no people and no voice over. It's beautiful to watch.

This campaign says something and is not targeted at the "average" consumer. It's targeted at people who can think, which sadly is not most people anymore.

This campaign is Apple saying "We don't care what the so called experts say". They're going to stay true to their core values because that's how great products are created--not by reacting to every negative comment made by a blogger or financial analyst, neither of whom has ever innovated anything nor ever will.

They came out on stage with a lot of swagger at WWDC, and I was happy to see it. This campaign carries that on.

The ads shouldn't score well with average viewers, if that's what Apple were going for, then they would be doomed. Hopefully they keep the campaign going, honestly I'll lose a lot of respect for them if they back down.

Jesla

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2013
Tennessee USA
lol. You are already biased by stating you "personally hate california". So no matter what happens, good or bad, you don't hold California and its companies and residents in high regard. There is nothing wrong in being proud. In fact each state is very proud of its own status. Maybe CA should fall off the map of the USA. It really begs the question of how it would affect the rest of the country. It's only the 8th ranking economy in the world.

We would survive…..and BTW exactly what is California a state of?….
California is not a country though they may think so…..

Being proud is one thing, alienating and belittling is totally different.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
One problem here: while consumers love their Apple devices on an individual level, I think many have mixed feelings about whether these devices have really improved our emotional lives -- as the sappy narration implies.

A young girl alone in her room staring at an iPhone, constantly connected... a woman on the subway with headphones stuck in her ears, who will never have a chance conversation with a stranger... a elementary school kid with an iPad in the classroom, who will never write legibly...

Not making a claim about the utility of iDevices - I love mine, too - but I think the mixed feelings most of us have really challenge the effectiveness of an emotion-driven campaign like this.

This is exactly the problem. We are connected through technology. The world has become dependent on getting the answer rather than researching and finding the answer. I see less and less people hand writing anything anymore. In 10 years, hand writing will become a rare art that only a very few people will be skilled with. And wow, I never seen such anti-social people in my life with the new generation growing up. Kids are sitting next to each other at a park, not playing, not talking, but literally texting each other. There's no emotion either. Instead of literally laughing at a joke, its just lol. I don't even see them crack a smile.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I didn't care the ads, it seemed rambling and lacked focus. I think they could have done a better job at promoting the designed by apple a lot better.

Polymorphic

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2010
I'm not terribly surprised the ad isn't doing well. When I first saw it at WWDC and heard, "This is what matters... The experience of a product," I was immediately turned off. I love Apple products, and in the context of the ad, I understand what the narrator is saying, but in a broader sense, I would not place "the experience of a product" high on a scale of things that ultimately matter.

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent
The adds just go to show what an insular company Apple are these days. Its all about them and the people who only communicate via a device. They are trying to mix the two issues, connectivity with reality and for some thats the issue.

The ads fail in many ways unless you want to buy a way of life rather than a specific product. What is that ad saying? Buy Apple? It's arguable the message really gets home, I dont feel the love with this type of advertising.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Since Midas died, EVERYTHING they do is wrong, it's uncanny. They're like headless chickens.

Yep, regardless of what they do, people say it's wrong.

Though I do find it hard to believe that these ads are doing even worse than the "genius" ads.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I didn't care the ads, it seemed rambling and lacked focus. I think they could have done a better job at promoting the designed by apple a lot better.

Keep in mind that many times Campaign Ads start simple, then start building up. This is just the first Ad with more to come, to complete the big picture.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
A couple of things strike me about this ad.

It seems to be almost an explanation of why Apple has not released new product categories. It says Apple doesn't do what Google does which is throw a bunch of crap against the wall and see what sticks. Maybe that seems arrogant to some people. I don't think so...

Weren't Apple's 'great' iconic ads not received well initially? Was the 1984 ad and and the Think Different ad received well immediately?

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Boches goes on to point out that some view the campaign as inappropriately political, highlighting Apple as a California-based company in tacit contrast to Samsung, which is based in South Korea.

All the crap Samsung shovels at Apple and users of Apple products, and "some" view this as inappropriate? Samsung deserves to have all their crap thrown back at them and then some. This ad is nothing.

dmunz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2010
Deigned in California but made where???

To me it seems they are trying to run from the fact that the stuf is made in China. If I'm concerned about America I want things Designed in California and Made in the USA.

Just sayin'

FWIW
DLM

dennno

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
These surveys are so pointless and seem highly biased. 500 people? We don't even know whether's the sample is a true reflection of Apple's customer base.

Zyphras

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
The main problem with studies like these is that most people are idiots. Who cares about the dumb masses. Of course ads that just show you what what a product does will click with those people more easily. You have to remember what people a company is targeting, and it isn't always idiots. The Here Comes Honey Boo Boo-watching folks of this world will have less interest in buying an Apple device.

Last edited:

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
All the crap Samsung shovels at Apple and users of Apple products, and "some" view this as inappropriate? Samsung deserves to have all their crap thrown back at them and then some. This ad is nothing.

Yeah, I don't see anything inappropriate in this Ad, even tho it may be offensive to certain 'evil' groups.

djra8

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013
Bingo we have a winner…….all they had to do was put USA behind California and it would have been better. It's as if they are trying to disassociate from the rest of the country…..in a way I wish they physically would fall off and sink in the ocean. Personally I hate California as a state and don't like how they think they are some how better than the rest of the states.

Will the new MP say designed in California and assembled it Texas? Why no of course not…...

The commercial stinks and deserves poor ratings.

I totally agree, also, outside of california, no one cares about naming your new OS after surf spots... "mavericks"?? what a joke.. Cook is running apple into the ground.. OH but at least he gave us a Macpro thats as upgradeable as a laptop!

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
We would survive…..and BTW exactly what is California a state of?….
California is not a country though they may think so…..

Being proud is one thing, alienating and belittling is totally different.

Texas is similar in that they believe they can function autonomously from the rest of the country.

The difference is, they aren't smug. Proud, but not smug. They operate within their means and focus on the individual rather than collective. People admire that philosophy.

If Texas seceded, I have no doubts they would be a very well run country.

If California did, they'd likely be joining the ranks of Greece asking for money from the rest of us to prevent total economic collapse.

Though we're slightly off topic but it does offer explanation a person's negative reaction to a commercial focusing on Apple that touts California.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
What I really don't like about this ad is that it suggests life's special moments are somehow "improved" or "enhanced" when they are mediated through technology and digital gadgets. While I admire the technology and innovation that makes devices like the iPhone possible, the ubiquitousness of these devices in many ways is eroding our ability to live "in the moment" and really savor those once-in-a-lifetime experiences. Do you really think that diner at 0:29 is enjoying his meal while the guy next to him is waving around his iPad and carrying on a Facetime conversation with someone somewhere else? Don't you love it when you're in an art museum trying to imagine yourself in a Renoir boat scene while some numbskull behind you keeps shouting into his iPhone asking Siri for the nearest burger restaurant? I'm not against the technology, but there's a time and a place for everything. An ad like this, not-so-subtly suggesting with its sentimental music and soft manipulative voice that we can't fully experience our own lives without an iPhone or iPad to document--and interrupt--rubs me entirely the wrong way.

On the other hand, sometimes it really is better with these gadgets. My wife and I had a total Star Trek moment with our Mac Mini the other night. It is hooked up to our HDTV and we were using it the other night to watch a movie. We got a FaceTime call from my sister and answered it, talked to my sister for a couple minutes, and then as soon as we hung up, the movie automatically came back on and started where we left off.

Doesn't sound like a big deal, but after it happened, we both agreed that it was totally cool how seamless that was and it was all from the comfort of our couch. Does it make it less annoying to get a phone call while you're watching a movie? Hell no. But it ended up being a call we were glad we took, and then it got out of the way and we resumed our evening.

Yes, most computers, tablets, and phones do that now, but not with the elegance that Apple products have. THAT is what Apple is trying to get across, and I do not fault them for it.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
"The ad lacks joy" - I didn't realize exactly what bothered me when watching the ad, but he's absolutely right.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

Yup!

What about the "Think Different" ads? A whole campaign focused on a slogan. Or the 1984 Superbowl ad that didn't blatantly show off any Apple product or experience. I think these ads take on a more philosophical demeanor which the average television viewer doesn't feel like thinking about.

About five posts above, I do agree though:

On a side note, I didn't really mean to say they focus on a slogan . . . the "Think Different" campaign did as well, but that campaign did have more of a rebel feel to it than these. The current ads are kind of like Apple trying to excuse away some of the things they've done in the past few years.

Last edited:

diamornte

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
it's the lack of new things that's scoring poorly with Apple.

I understand why Apple moved everything to Fall, but in today's tech 9 months without a single new product is A LONG TIME.

So true. This also is the reason why AAPL is currently below $400. They need to come out with something NEW ASAP!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.